[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on light. What I know: >a photon that travels like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: light-waves.jpg (24KB, 579x421px) Image search: [Google]
light-waves.jpg
24KB, 579x421px
Redpill me on light.
What I know:
>a photon that travels like a wave, where the wavelength determines whether it penetrates different matter.
> e=mcc demonstrates the relationship between energy and light
> light is given off during exothermic reactions
> light is given off in LEDs when electrons gain velocity (higher shell) and then collapse into a more stable orbit
So redpill me on light. Give me all you've got.
>>
Also, why does light travel in sine waves? Is the speed of light average displacement or the tangent vector? What can I read/what lectures can I look at to learn more about light?
What is the relationship between light and magnetic fields?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell%27s_equations
>>
>redpill
You don't deserve shit.
>>
>>8165454
That's not very nice
>>8165452
Thanks
Do you know of any talk show or discuss about this? I'm looking for something like a video or audio clip where people discuss the implications of these equations in depth
>>
Light is a subatomic particle. Subatomic particles are only "particles" when their wave form actually touches something. If they move uninterrupted, then they are waves, moving at a constant speed, until refracted or observed.

It is unknown how observation removes a particles' ability to move as a wave at this time.

>not a physicist
>read too much
>don't have sources so call me out
>>
>>8165495
>>not a physicist
Yeah, that's pretty clear
>>
Ignoring the SJWtard shitters

Check this out : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnUBaBdl0Aw

It explains the particle/wave behaviour of photons. Also check out double slit experiment which also goes over the similar things.
>>
>>8165465
don't have any links, but check MIT open courseware, they have an introductory E&M class that has a pretty accessible derivation of these equations, of course taking the whole class is best.

The main implication is that in differential form Maxwell's equations in a vaccuum take the formof the wave equation, and predict EM waves, of which light is an example
>>
>>8165513
So then how was I wrong faggot
>>
>>8165522
>SJW
The boogeyman again.
KEK
>>
>>8165449
Light waves aren't displacement waves like on a rope, the sine wave graph you see represents electric or magnetic fields. I.e. when it's positive, the field points one way and the other way when negative, always perpendicular to the direction of travel.
>>
>>8165449
>What can I read/what lectures can I look at to learn more about light?
Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffith

>why does light travel in sine waves?
Not necessarily. It can also be a superposition of sinusoids.

>relationship between light and magnetic fields?
Light is an Electromagnetic Wave (at least in classical Electromagnetism - which can be completely derived from Maxwell's Equations)

In Quantum Mechanics, like everything else, light is both particle and wave-like (as seen in the Dual Slit experiments, photoelectric effect, etc). I don't know a lot about the quantum theory though so if you really want to understand light you also need to read some books on quantum physics.

Also: http://motls.blogspot.com/2015/01/2015-international-year-of-light-and.html
>>
Thanks anons for references to start looking.
I hope this sheds some "light" on things.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.