[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/ What are the prerequisites or math I need to understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (9KB, 240x210px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 240x210px
Hey /sci/

What are the prerequisites or math I need to understand to get into learning differential geometry? Also what are some good text books for self teaching?
>>
>>8163135
Differential equations and geometry.

Yup.
>>
>>8163135
Multivariable calculus and linear algebra.
>>
>>8163152
Diff eqs aren't that important. You only need to know that if everything is sufficiently well-behaved, then the equation has a unique solution.
>>
>>8163153
Thanks! I just finished calc 1, do I need to go all the way up to multivar to understand linear algebra?
>>
Why don't you crack open a textbook and find out
>>
>>8163154
Is that so? I just started diff eq after finishing linear algebra...
>>
>>8163135
It depends on the type.

Curves and Surfaces:
- Vector Calc and Linear Algebra should be fine.

Manifolds/Riemannian (at like the level of Lee/doCarmo):
- Need Topology too

Riemmanian (at the level of like Jost)
- PDE theory
>>
>>8163156
>pick up a book on linear algebra
>read the preface
>learn what the author expects
>if it seems okay, read until you realize you don't have the background
Jesus Christ, fucking do something for yourself
>>
Topology, multivar calculus, linear algebra, some understanding of diffeqs (but, as a person who works in complex geometry I can assure you that you do not need to stress this bit, a lot can be found in appendices of differential topology books). Aside from this you need some mathematical maturity.
>>
>>8163159
diff eq is fun unless you're some kind of cuck
>>
>>8163158
This.

Every fucking textbook ever lists the prereqs in the fucking preface.
>>
>>8163189
>mathematical maturity
Buzzword.
>>
>>8163208
Guess who doesn't have it?
>>
>>8163232
you
>>
>>8163156
No, only algebra of school.
>>
What linear algebra book you recommend?
>>
>>8163208
What perspective are you saying this from? What are your "highest" math courses?
>>
>>8163152
This is wrong

>>8163153
This is right
>>
>>8163333
I'm saying this from the perspective that "mathematical maturity" is only used by professors in a very loose and egotistical way to say "oh, you are roughly able to use the same symbols and techniques I can also use", it doesn't mean anything, there is no point where you can say one student is mathematically mature or not if he has a background in X and Y. You either have a background in something or you don't, you have either studied a research topic in depth or you haven't.

You wouldn't use terms like "chemically mature" to describe more advanced chemistry students.

>
2 semesters of abstract algebra, 1 sem algebraic toplogy course, 1 sem complex + 2 sem real analysis.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.