[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You roll a 1 kg ball with no coefficient of friction down three

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 323.png (4KB, 543x206px) Image search: [Google]
323.png
4KB, 543x206px
You roll a 1 kg ball with no coefficient of friction down three slopes of angles 20, 45, and 75 degrees respectively.

my conjecture is that the x coordinate of the ball increases at the same rate no matter the angle of the slope you roll it down.

discuss.
>>
>>8162000
take your homework to >>>/wsr/
>>
>>8162003

this isnt homework. i figured it out already but i want to see what /sci/ thinks about the question. i just think its interesting.
>>
Well, after you finish dynamics 101, you can calculate it by yourself.
>>
>>8162000
>roll
>no friction
go back to high school.
Also, your conjecture is wrong.
>>
>>8162005
>i figured it out already but i want to see what /sci/ thinks about the question.
It's a basic physics problem.
>Hey guys, I just wanted to know your opinions on 4+4=?. I've already figured it out, but i want to see what /sci/ thinks about the question.
>>
>>8162000
With no friction the ball will not roll unless you impart an initial amount of rotational momentum.
>>
>>8162000
Well your conjecture is wrong.
>>
>>8163611
You're a fucking idiot. It's an object on a SLOPE with no friction. Gravity causes an acceleration downwards. As long as there is a slope of any kind, the object will accelerate down the slope.
>>
>>8164401
>no friction
Why would it roll rather than slide?
>>
>>8164401
And it wont roll. Thus he is right.
>>
You guys are fucking idiots, you know exactly what he meant by "roll"
>>
The ball will slide as he mentioned no friction. Now, as you mentioned, In all 3 the variable x will increase at the same rate. No that is not true. Well we cant really say. Lots of variables are missing here. Is the value of x the same for all of them? Are we counting in acceleration here?
>>
>>8164420
Rolling vs not rolling is an important part to questions like this. Rolling requires more energy - the rotational kinetic energy, which means a rolling ball moves down a hill slower than a ball that slides down - all other things being equal. IIRC.
>>
>>8162000
False because the x-component of the normal force (what pushes the ball forward) is not the same. Also without friction it would slide, not roll.
>>
>>8164447

if it has no coefficient of friction you can safely assume that the ball gains no rotational momentum.
>>
>>8162000
sin(a)*cos(a) = const for all a?
>>
>>8164475
No, since it's sin(2a), which is why, as I said in >>8162031,
the original "conjecture" is wrong.
Stop fucking replying, or at least sage
>>
>>8164485
*proportional to sin(2a)
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.