[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1. Your field 2. How many first author papers does a typical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: einsteinb.jpg (66KB, 500x486px) Image search: [Google]
einsteinb.jpg
66KB, 500x486px
1. Your field
2. How many first author papers does a typical PhD student in your field publish before graduating?
>>
pure mathematics
0-5 not counting thesis at a paper
>>
Health information.
0, we're all associate degree holders
>>
>>8161900
1. Mathematical signal processing.
2. Maybe 3-5 papers for a 4 year PhD and then you need both MSc and BSc to even start it. Not very uncommon those 4 years become 5, 6 or even more.
>>
Math

Iono I guess 3-5 judging from the other guys but that sounds like a lot for actually substantial papers
>>
Philosophy
10 ~
>>
>>8162121
I'm this guy >>8162098

3-5 is probably a lot if you are doing novel work in pure mathematics. I am mostly combining slightly harder than MSc level linear algebra, probability, optimization into computer programs and evaluating if it seems to work on some data and how well it does.

A pure math guy is probably taking more theoretically advanced courses for start and then bashing his head against one or a few theorems to prove. That makes quantity difficult to achieve.
>>
>>8162141
Yeah. Usually the papers pure math PhD students put out are just small toy problems unrelated to the thesis work, which should actually be novel.
>>
>>8162161
Or papers of partial results, and whether you write and publish those comes down to how lazy/lucky you are respectively.
>>
>>8161900

Plasma Physics
1-3
>>
>>8162161
In engineering the thesis is often first an introduction explaining what is needed to understand the field and the theory required to understand the papers and then the papers at the end. So most of the work on getting the papers to work and become accepted somewhere and then try and wrap everything up at the end.
>>
Graph theory

I think this is a problem. A lot of the student publish useless papers, and a lot of the recruiting process mainly look at how many papers you have.
>>
>>8161900
1. Don't have a designated field yet, just finished a double degree in applied physics and engineering.
2. 0 because bachelors
>>
was idiot retard both formulas pulled from behind
>>
>>8161900
Chemical Engineering
You need a minimum of 3 at my university, usually people get 3-5 out with a typical PhD taking 3-6 years to graduating including years doing masters coursework etc.

>>8162161
>unrelated to the thesis work
So you don't publish the work the work in your thesis in journals directly? Our thesis is more or less a highly detailed version of all our publications.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.