[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible the reason we haven't met any intelligent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1466299619152.jpg (76KB, 932x640px) Image search: [Google]
1466299619152.jpg
76KB, 932x640px
Is it possible the reason we haven't met any intelligent life (capable of interstellar travel) is that once a species becomes intelligent enough they realize life is ultimately meaningless and commit collective suicide? I mean there is no other drive that makes humans tick than emotions and fear of death. Once there is nothing left to discover and there is no more fear, what is there left to do?
>>
>>8151816
Exist.
>>
>>8151816
It's probably impossible to evolve intelligence as a group that would kill you. Each time an individual comes close they die or just stop talking.

But yes, I think there's a limit to what can be done with technology, and we're very close to it.

There is no reason to think aliens exist. That's silly.
>>
One possibility that no one brings up is that intelligent life could have gone the matrix route and satisfy themselves with simulating the universe on their own planet and never leaving.
>>
>>8151833
you mean like playing minecraft with VR while sitting on the toilet with a food tube in the mouth? i suppose some of us are already doing that already
>>
File: ahahhaha.png (277KB, 298x349px) Image search: [Google]
ahahhaha.png
277KB, 298x349px
>>8151824
And the most retarded person on /sci/ award goes to...
>>
>>8152370
are you afraid to admit there is currently no evidence whatsoever of life outside of Earth?

That believing in aliens is a matter of faith, not science?
>>
>>8152376
Statistics (chances a planet could be sustaining life in the Universe) and the abandon of anthropocentrism add weight to that belief.
>>
>>8152385
the anthropic principle nullifies the chances, because you're going to find yourself in an intelligent society EVERY FUCKING TIME whether there's billions of them or only one.
>>
>>8151816

Maybe because they've reached some technological singularity and ascended above and beyond our three dimensions. Who needs to explore the universe when you can become one with the universe?
>>
>>8152400
So multiple intelligent societies can exists.
>>
>>8151816
> implying intelligent life has the same life outlook as you.
Man you're a narcissist.
>>
>>8152426
of course they can.
there's no evidence they DO.

science isn't in the habit of accepting things for which evidence doesn't exist.

Except aliums of course. And maybe angels. Those are legit.
>>
>>8152376
I was mainly referring to you thinking that we are almost at the limit of technology.
>>
>>8151816
Stop thinking that you're depressed and suicidal because you're smarter than everyone else.
>>
>>8152438
oh.
"almost" is pretty broad.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.