[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>mfw 95% of the idiots talking about this shit have no clue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 23

File: Elon_Musk_Occupy_Mars_Wide[1].png (270KB, 626x471px) Image search: [Google]
Elon_Musk_Occupy_Mars_Wide[1].png
270KB, 626x471px
>mfw 95% of the idiots talking about this shit have no clue that mars has 1/3 earth gravity

how the fuck does he plan to deal with this for his "colonists"
>>
>>8136884

""""gravity""""

Maybe you retards will find Santa Claus and The Tooth Fairy while you're in Mars too
>>
>>8136884
lifting
>>
File: giant15.jpg (42KB, 900x603px) Image search: [Google]
giant15.jpg
42KB, 900x603px
>1/3 earth gravity
>actually complaining about it

Can you even imagine all the shit you can do with 1/3 gravity?!? I'll give you a hint, pic realted
>>
>>8136884
Good thing that we numerically understand gravity and can adjust for it in literally anything we plan to do.

I mean, this shit is high school physics. Why don't you know this?
>>
>>8136893
I think OP is referring to the health risks, though I don't think they will be that severe. With the bulk of the suits and tools colonists will inevitably carry, I think it will be relatively easy to compensate.
>>
>>8136884
Don't see the problem
>>
>>8136893

im talking about childhood development... not fully grown men jumping around like superman and throwing shit thousands of feet for fun

are we going to put pregnant mothers in centrifuges for 9 months and then have the kid in the centrifuge until he/she is fully developed?

its like im speaking with literal retards right now
>>
>>8136901
>its like im speaking with literal retards right now

That's what you get when you explain your point with a vague single sentence that could be interpreted in a myriad of ways.
>>
>>8136884
I would understand your concerns regarding the health risks of living on a planet with 1/3 of earths gravity. Otherwise there are no issues with having 1/3 the earths gravity. However referring to the health issues, all the colonists would only exit in space suits which protect the internal organs from the outside gravity. Also the biospheres the colonists are depressurized and protect the colonists from the outside forces.
>>
>>8136903
Also the biospheres the colonists are living in, are depressurized*
>>
>>8136891
>>8136893
I think what OP is concerned about is how the lower gravity can affect humans. In fact, it can create problems with circulation (lower blood pressure or higher heart workload), bones and muscles (lower weight -> bone resorption and atrophy).
We've seen this kind of problems multiple times on astronauts, but it's not that bad since they only stay in space for a little while; a colony is another thing. Also, we have no idea how it can affect humans in developing age.
>>
>>8136902

calm down dumbo
>>
if gravity is 1/3 does that mean you can make sky scrapers 3 times taller? that's almost a space elevator
>>
File: lel.gif (674KB, 245x180px) Image search: [Google]
lel.gif
674KB, 245x180px
>>8136903
>all the colonists would only exit in space suits which protect the internal organs from the outside gravity
>>
>>8136903
If this is bait, it is very well done.
>>
>>8136907

thank you, first intelligent response in the thread.

but the main concern is not longterm health defects from new arrivals to the planet. moreso having fucked up mutant children
>>
>>8136909
pretty much. the highest mountains are also 3 times taller
>>
Moving to Mars would provide unique health risks and potential problems that could be passed on to children. I'm not sure those risks mean we shouldn't still do it.

The same could be said of moving to a lot of place on Earth. Hell, even living in a first world country opens up your bloodline to several diseases that are near unheard of anywhere else.
>>
Well, we can build big machines that create gravity and build them around designated areas.
>>
>>8136929

jesus christ, there are no "new" diseases on mars you idiot.

nor would anything new be "passed" onto children that cant be passed onto them on earth

literally the main concern is CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT from conception to adulthood in a low gravity environment.
>>
>>8136931

do you even know how stupid you sound? i refuse to believe you are being serious.
>>
File: 4.jpg (24KB, 480x257px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
24KB, 480x257px
>>8136915
>>8136907
>having fucked up mutant children

You guys are putting the cart before the horse. We don't even know the effects low gravity will have. And you asking us what we're going to do about it? muh bone density, guess we'll stay home then. No point risking osteoporosis. Space faring colonies will NEVER be safe because life in general is never safe. If you want to wait around for it to become safe then it'll never happen. Humans will never reach Mars. Accept the risks and and consequences and move on.
>>
mars olympics when
>>
You need to understand the general public wants instant results.
Popsci gives that to them, telling them the results of exciting scientific studies.
Although it proves to be meaningless in the grand scheme of things, it gives the general public a sense of progression.
>"b-b-but Popsci tells me we are going to mars in 2020 and sooner or later flying hover boards will be a norm"
Basically its science studies and their possible results.
>>
>>8136933
That's exactly what I was talking about. I didn't mean that the problems on Mars would be diseases, I only mentioned those to compare health concerns on Earth.
>>
Mars will never have permanent settlers, it will be a highly automated tourist attraction.
>>
>>8136936
I refuse to believe that you think that person was not being serious, you can't be so daft.
>>
>>8136937
>osteoporosis

im not talking about adults losing bone mass you fucking tool

im talking about an embro growing like a fucking WEED due to it not having correct circulation due to gravity, nutritional fuckups, oxygenation of the brain during development

im done with this thread

im done with 4chan, im convinced its just a bunch of 12 year olds why do i come here im fucking 30 years old

clicking the x on my browser and blowing my brains out
>>
Women on Mars? Not going to happen. Ever. The plethora of drugs you have to dose astronauts with just to function at 60% is too toxic for women, including high doses of testosterone. Test, plus other growth hormones will make living in a confined space for a year (next closest return orbit) makes the possibility of women on Mars 1000000000000-1
>>
>>8136933
>jesus christ, there are no "new" diseases on mars you idiot.

I wouldn't be so dismissive anon, when the Apollo astronauts returned home NASA placed them in quarantine to prevent any pathogens from the moon spreading. It might have been an outside possibility, but it was still considered a big enough risk to be addressed. The MQF was only discontinued after it was proven that the moon was devoid of life, on Mars, well isn't finding life one of the main reasons used for going?
>>
One question.

What makes you think mars colonists are going to be making babies? Especially without knowing the effects it'll have? That's what lab rats are for. We haven't even tested a plan to reach Mars let alone figured out how to survive in numbers larger than single digits and you're worried about how they're going to procreate. Cross that road when you get to it anon.
>>
Theoretically, people in a low (lower than Earth) gravity environment would grow up to be taller, right?
>>
>>8136962
Well if they aren't having kids it's not a colony. It's basically a costly (and fairly useless) research station.
>>
>>8136948
>ugghhhhhh why am I so smart
>no one understand how smart I am
>you're all twelveeeeeeeeee
>>
>>8136948
see you tomorrow
>>
File: Grey-Alien.jpg (27KB, 615x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Grey-Alien.jpg
27KB, 615x1050px
>>8136969
taller, low gravity creates increased cranial blood pressure so they'd have bigger heads, less muscle mass too, farther from the sun means less pigment in their skin too .... oh shit
>>
File: patrick.gif (107KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
patrick.gif
107KB, 240x240px
Why don't we just take gravity from somewhere else and put it on Mars?
>>
They could just wear weighted boots
>>
>>8136897
this, if gravity is a problem on physical condition just make it so the suits make you three times as heavy.
>>
>>8136884
>musk in picture
instant hide thread.
>>
>>8137007
and make babby lift weights in womb?
>>
>>8136912
>>8136914
>they don't know how to shield themselves off from harmfull gravity rays
I thought this was a board for scientifically literate people
>>
>>8136962
Is starting a Martian backup of humanity for if the Earth blows up NOT the ultimate goal of Mars exploration? What do you think we're doing all of this for? To learn about a dead planet's geology?
>>
>>8136907
The humans would eventually evolve for Mars conditions, so it's just a couple generations that are fucked.
>>
>>8136909
It would be much more than 3x increase in height.

Also the main reason skyscrapers aren't taller is because of wind and occupants not wanting to live in a swaying building. With the much thinner atmosphere, wind would be almost a non-factor.
>>
>>8137151
>a couple generations
More like a couple million generations
>>
>>8136884
This is among the reasons the former guy on PBS Space Time promulgates that we should colonize Venus instead of Mars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5KV3rzuag
>>
Venus is the worst meme ever
>>
>>8136962
If Martian colonies are ever larger than a tiny handful of people, yes, it's going to happen eventually, planned or not. Telling people they can't fuck isn't particularly effective, and with every colonist added the chances of a couple fucking and contraception failing (or couple choosing to not use it) increases. I wouldn't be surprised if the first pregnancy occurred before the population hits 1k, and if it hasn't occurred before 5k or 10k we're either sending warped individuals exclusively or have everyone's sex drive killed through medication.
>>
>>8137294
No, I think we'd adapt within at least 100 generations. We could use some genetic engineering.
>>
>>8136884
>1/3 earth gravity
3/8ths, technically.

But when there's no atmosphere and the surface is bathed in cosmic radiation, the gravity being a bit weaker is the least of your worries (you can just exercise a bit more for that).
>>
>>8136884
Even talking about "colonizing" other planets in the solar system is ridiculous given our level of technology. Some people don't seem to realize just how comfy our own planet is compared to other planets, we should be focused on saving it.
>>
>>8137366
I'm not for the insane deplete and move on shit, but we do NEED to make scientific progress in many directions and this is one of them.
>>
>>8137377
I agree. A manned mission to Mars is a good idea, but not with the goal of colonizing the planet.
>>
>>8137366
Problem is, that technology isn't going to improve if nobody tries to colonize other bodies. Sitting and waiting will get us nowhere.

It's also extremely likely that many of the things we learn and technologies we develop doing space exploration and colonization are directly applicable to life on earth. For example, if we can grow fruits and vegetables economically on Mars, we can grow them just about anywhere else, including the middle of the Sahara, meaning that the vast expanses of desert on Earth can be put to use feeding the population. Mars and Venus also give us two nearby planets suitable for long-term atmospheric and environmental experimentation - learning how to thicken Mars' atmosphere or thin that of Venus would also teach us how to safely maintain the atmosphere of Earth without risking ourselves and Earth's ecosystems.

Space has a great deal to teach us, and we don't even have to go that far to start learning from it. To not do so is unbelievably stupid.
>>
>>8136884
Individual weight suits can easily bring back the 2/3 of weight back.
>>
Make humans 3 times bigger.

/thread
>>
>>8136884
I don't think the first people on mars are going to be having kids, in fact I'd wager that it will take more time to figure that part out than it will to get sustainable habitat on the planet itself. As to adults working in 1/3rd or 3/8ths G, just send some lifting equipment with them, or shit just go outside of the habitat and throw big rocks. 1/3G will be a lot easier to deal with than the zero gravity they'll be stuck with on the trip there unless the ship has a centrifuge which can simulate it.
>>
>>8137707
What about square-cube law? There would be many problems.
>>
File: aiaa_aga_gravity_generator_1.jpg (33KB, 810x330px) Image search: [Google]
aiaa_aga_gravity_generator_1.jpg
33KB, 810x330px
>>8136884
http://jdavis.tv/jd_animation_sub_motion_aiaa.html
>>
>>8137727
>go outside of the habitat and throw big rocks
most badass workout regimen ever
>>
Going to Mars for human habitat is like going to the Arctic to make ice cubes for soda.

Wasteful idiocy of a narcissistic billionaire. Once his money runs out, it will all be dead space again. I only hope we don't have to "bail them out" when they inevitably fail.
>>
>>8137836
If the Earth dies, living in the Arctic won't save you. Living on Mars might.
>>
>>8137848
In all likelihood living in space stations is a more resource-efficient way or preserving the human race
>>
>>8137848
>If the Earth dies
Mars is already dead, idiot.

What possible scenario could cause you to survive on Mars but not in a bunker on earth?

What's the probability of survival from staying on earth vs. moving to Mars? You have a higher probability to die on the fucking rocket takeoff.
>>
>>8137849
*of preserving

Mars a shit
>>
>>8137849
Absurdly massive space stations, perhaps. Surviving on Mars is a much nearer goal. A space station less than a thousand times the size of the ISS would likely be insufficient to preserve humanity in the case of the loss of Earth.
>>
>>8137867
>Surviving on Mars is a much nearer goal.
You know what would be even "nearer'"? Surviving on earth.
>>
>>8137867
>A space station less than a thousand times the size of the ISS
That's why you build one on an asteroid.

Apart from problems with radiation space is a better bet, the Martian atmosphere is too thin to protect against meteorites anyway.

Plus you can spread like a virus if you stay in space
>>
>>8137849
>>8137882

>the gravity's too low on Mars. Humanity would have too many problems living like that

>colonizing a space station or an asteroid would be much better
>>
File: image.jpg (12KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12KB, 100x100px
>watched the Martian for the first time last night
>mfw he uses a sheet of plastic and some duct tape to cover up the hab
>mfw it is seperating 1 atm of pressure from the near vaccum of mars
>mfw it doesn't even leak
>>
>>8137849
>preserving the human race
Not sure why anyone would pay for that, desu.

Individually, we'll all be dead in a couple decades. If you care for your children, you're better off leaving them assets on Earth, perhaps in different countries. Even if you care about something like your culture or nation, your money is better spent on Earth, to compete with the others.

But even IF you care about the human race, a Mars colony is sub-optimal spending at this time. Musk has done more for the human race by donating a few million dollars to AI safety research, than he ever could by spending billions on Mars.
>>
>>8137930
The worst part about that movie was that other people ended up paying millions to save one human life, when they could have saved thousands of poor kids from hunger and disease for the same cost. And the guy had accepted the risk when he signed up for the mission.
>>
>>8137936
>human lives have equal value
>>
>>8137942
You're right, saving one idiot who signed up for a dangerous mission has less value than saving a random person.
>>
>>8137936
Well, leaving a person stranded on another planet has much greater political implications.

If that happens in real life they had better get him home safe if they have any intention of a second mission.
>>
>>8137945
You are providing an argument that the government should ban private Mars missions altogether.

Because we all know who is going to be forced to "bail them out".
>>
>>8137948
>You are providing an argument that the government should ban private Mars missions altogether.
maybe.
>>
>>8137944
>Brilliant, courageous scientist and explorer is less valuable than 'people' who can't even vegetables
>>
>>8137992
He signed up for the mission knowing the risk, which means he was already compensated for it, either in higher pay or in social status. When the risk materialized, he had nothing to complain about and no one to blame but himself.

Of course, that's not what the propaganda movie tried to tell us.
>>
Take 3 billion copys of that Sandra Bullock movie.
Then you have to much Gravity.
>>
>>8136954
It's always better to play it safe when dealing with unknowns.
Mars will be no different, regardless of the "impossibility".
>>
>>8137337
>1k
Try under 100

It will be an accident, but it will happen.
Put two people together for a long period and they will have sex. It doesn't matter if her face was smashed in at the age of 4, third degree burns over her body and hairier than a chimp. She's going to look pretty attractive after a few years alone.
>>
>>8137379
I would argue very strongly that, at some point, movement to other planets (and ultimately, other solar systems) is not only an illustrious goal for the human race, but also a survival necessity.

All it takes is one extinction event to fuck us all up. And we're due (geological speaking) for a new one "soon".
>>
Obviously just put them in a centrifuge to live on. Then most of their time will be spent at ~g and when they go out to Mars they will have the g/3
>>
>>8138193
Extinction schmextinction. Humanity is overrated anyway.
>>
>>8137921
If, very theoretically speaking and with some amazing imagination, we could not only build on an asteroid but construct a "ring" to facilitate artificial gravity...... We would have our own space ship to spread to other asteroids and travel.

It's a nice thought, regardless of the challenges (it's fucking impossible) we'd face. Might make a cool sci-fi though.
>>
>>8137945
Wasn't that the biggest ramifications in the movie itself? The political and social implications?
>>
>>8138202
I've never seen it 2bh
>>
>>8138203
I give it an 8/10.
It's worth watching. It makes a validity attempt at "accuracy..
>>
>>8138194
A centrifuge to rest, eat, and sleep in

Sure it could be done easily enough
But then large scale mars colonization is essentially impossible

So then we'll talk about Venus i suppose.
Venus is better anyways, easier to aerobrake, conditions closer to earth, shorter trip needing less delta V, etc
>>
>>8136903
Mother fucker I almost spilled my coffee.
>>
>>8136949
>makes the possibility of women on Mars 1000000000000-1
999999999999?
>>
>>8136884
I want what Elon Musk used to cure his hair loss.
>>
>>8137294
evolution happens in big jumps when you have a population bottleneck
>>
>>8136887
>hasn't felt gravity

Bro do you even lift
>>
>>8137930
the feeble winds of Mars caused him to be stranded

like wtf...?
>>
File: hell.jpg (855KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
hell.jpg
855KB, 2560x1600px
>>8138224
>Venus is better anyways
Satan pls go
>>
>>8137301
Moving to Venus is like moving to hell. I would rather take my chances with a nuclear wasteland.
>>
>>8138224
>I got all my spacefaring knowledge from KSP
>>
We need more data on the effects of low gravity on fetal development, we should probably be sending up chimps and inseminating them to see how zero g works with pregnancy, then do some experiments in centrifuges that simulate mars gravity. We need data and then we can start trying to figure out how to solve any issues we see
>>
>>8138487
what we need is for popsci fuckers to stop these retarded scifi threads
>>
File: 1459705824115.png (67KB, 230x230px) Image search: [Google]
1459705824115.png
67KB, 230x230px
>mfw I'd be able to deadlift 1500 lbs on mars
>>
>>8138271
the way this is worded makes it seem like evolution gets desperate during a bottleneck, that's wrong

all you're really saying is that when people die like flies, only rare, extreme mutations that can handle the conditions survive

in a more peaceful world like today, these rare extreme mutations (like two heads or three eyes) still happen, but get washed out by all the lesser mutations
>>
>>8138452
#goteem
>>
>>8138494
1500 lbs on earth =/= 1500 lbs on mars
you'd still be a weakling, lifting big objects is not impressive if the big objects are light af on the planet you're on
>>
It might be the case that you can avoid it some of the unfortunate consequences of low gravity on pregnancy by having the mother sit in a centrifuge system located on Mars for perhaps an hour a day at standard earth gravity levels. Thats hardly unsurmountable and can be scaled up for large numbers of people
>>
File: 1464548669749.jpg (115KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1464548669749.jpg
115KB, 900x900px
>>8138502
1500 lbs on earth is actually 1500 lbs on mars seeing how the pound, like the kilogram, is a measure of mass, not of "weight" or "heaviness" as you would imply. You might want to read up on units mate, I mean it's a bit embarrassing to be posting on a science and math board and then get the units wrong ;-)
I bet you're relieved that this board is anonymous and that this embarrassing moment can't be tied to you huh ;-)
>>
>>8138504
it's spelled insurmountable with an 'i', "bro"
>>
>>8136891
We can already create 1/1 RX-78-2 models as evidenced by your picture
>>
>>8138190
Similarly the guy in the equation could be as ugly as a mud fence. Yes, years alone on a desolate rock would have a strong standards-lowering effect.
>>
>>8137741
make squares 3 times bigger

/thread
>>
who cares about the humans? We should be able to adjust to this through proper training, growing up with it, etc. Astronauts have been living in zero gravity environments and doing fine for years.
Real question is: Can we grow plants and shit? Do they grow too fast under lower gravity, are they not able to extract nutrients from the soil for whatever reason, etc. And animals. You can't teach an animal to live with these conditions the same way you do it with a human, with their unrational instinctive behavior and so on. Imagine a herd of cows trying to run around at 1/3 of earth's gravity. They go crazy cause their genes tell them to expect a earthly environment.
>>
Does this mean you can have animals bigger than a Paraceratherium on Mars?
>>
>>8136884
With dunk contests on 30ft hoops, duh. In all seriousness 1/3 gravity poses no real threat to humans for any period of time as long as they are ready to spend the rest of their life at 1/3 gravity. However, to make it to mars in the first place we are likely to want to develop artificial gravity (whether that be through centripital force or otherwise) just for the trip there. So in that case, thats how we will deal with 1/3 gravity, the same way we do at zero g.
>>
Really heavy boots.
>>
>>8138509
Actually, pounds ARE a unit of force.
>>
>>8139293
He said "lb", pound-force is lbf

BTFO
>>
>>8139057
?
there is no soil on mars
animals? Why would we have animals on mars, they cannot breath the atmosphere
>>
He'll throw money onto mars until it gets heavier
>>
>>8139057
>Can we grow plants
Yeah. Plants are pretty tolerant, and we have LOTS of expedience adapting crops to grow better in new environments. I would be highly surprised if developing low-g tolerant crops ends up being the hardest part of trying to grow food on Mars.

>Imagine a herd of cows trying to run around at 1/3 of earth's gravity. They go crazy cause their genes tell them to expect a earthly environment.
Some animals would probably cope better than others. Why exactly would you WANT a herd of cows on Mars?
>>
You'll have to exercise. Expect a long period of weakness when you return to Earth, if ever.

though it doesn't really become a problem until you start having native born Martians. They'll grow up under that 1/3rd gravity and won't develop the body needed for 1 G.
>>
>>8139397

cows are an environmental disaster on earth. though on Mars their methane output would be a benefit.

though that doesn't change the fact that cows are a inefficient protein source.
>>
>>8139412
The idea that the body will magically adapt to 1/3rd gravity and not just get deformed & die is currently wishful thinking
>>
>>8139480
martians won't have the bone or muscle mass, of an earthnoid.

don't expect any sort of radical deformities.
>>
>>8139412
Also, they would have a shit immune system.
>>
>>8139318
No, the imperial unit of mass is a slug. GTFO.
>>
>>813694 Don't feel bad I'm 39
>>
>>8139532
I've seen different texts use slug and another use lbm for pound mass
>>
>>8139589
A lot of texts use both to get you use to the variety of units
>>
>>8139412
That would be scary. Never being able to go back to Earth because of the atmospheric pressure/gravity. Jesus, I'm going to go have a nightmare now.
>>
File: 1415360711172.jpg (58KB, 496x371px) Image search: [Google]
1415360711172.jpg
58KB, 496x371px
>>8136976
Our species will conquer space-time, look at what they evolved from and using their non-temporal unified space thought, throw their heads back and "ayy lmao".
>>
>>8136901
Why couldn't he make a giant centrifuge and do that?
>>
>>8136907
You know the gravity wouldn't be too much of a problem if we grew to 3x our current size.
>>
>>8139508
There could be brain or organ troubles
there will certainly be issues with growth & development

>>8139644
You aren't doing mars colonization if people need to live in fucking centrifuges
>>
>>8139652
What if they only spend like an hour a day in the centrifuge but at something like 3G.
>>
File: image.jpg (21KB, 154x255px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 154x255px
>>8136884
>I don't understand evolution: the post

Organisms have the capacity to adapt to different environments. The humans on Mars will do the same thing through natural selection. Imbecile.
>>
>>8139699
Except no one's going to go to Mars to suffer, see their children die agonizing deaths AND pay billions of dollars just to live in an irradiated tin can.
>>
>>8139656
I dnno, neither does Musk or Nasa
It's never been tested, something they should have done in LEO long ago
>>
File: hippiebs.jpg (57KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
hippiebs.jpg
57KB, 400x400px
>>8137936
Come on anon, saving the poor nigglets from the incompetence of their entire race was never going to happen in the first place.
>>
File: flight of the conchords.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
flight of the conchords.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>8136884
>1/3 earth gravity
two minutes in heaven is better than 1 minute in heaven
>>
>>8139397
> Why exactly would you WANT a herd of cows on Mars?
So I can move to mars without having to subscribe to vegerianism?
>>8139388
> there is no soil on mars
Well, where do you expect to get food from then? Potatoes or anything else with a significant nutritional value doesn't grow on rock, you know. In order for life to be sustainable, you need a lot of shit you just can't find on Mars, and on the timescale of a human life, it'd be surprising if we get any further than pic related, a completely artificial environment
>>
>>8136884
3 times heavier clothes.

That or an underground rotary habitat.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (140KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
140KB, 1440x1080px
>>8139795
Oh boy are you gonna love this idea.
Behold boys~ Meat Racking.
For the space carnivore~

No animals hurt.
Just a wall of big juicy space steaks.
>>
File: maurice.jpg (85KB, 658x370px) Image search: [Google]
maurice.jpg
85KB, 658x370px
> 1/3 gravity
I think I know where this is going...
>>
File: 2016-06-13-10-09-47--572611627.jpg (15KB, 271x186px) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-13-10-09-47--572611627.jpg
15KB, 271x186px
>>8139795
>>8139799

To the future.
The steak is fed intraveiniously with artificial OR natural life sustaining liquids.
Effective protein replication is vastly improved by not having to feed a cows brain, skin or living in general.
Also controllable levels of fat via electric shock "excercising".
>>
>>8139802
>>8139799
>>8139795

On a final note the steak can be genetically modified for infinite replications so long as there is electricity.
>>
>>8136884
>USA to fund Mars conolization to give a new home to the growingly obese population
>>
God damn it this board is hilarious sometimes.
>>8139795
>So I can move to mars without having to subscribe to vegerianism?
Well tough titties Charlene, you're going to have to give up meat for the foreseeable future if you want to live on Mars.
>Well, where do you expect to get food from then?
I don't know what that other anon was getting at but I'll tell you where you'll grow vegetables: in water. Hydroponically grown food is magnitudes more effective than traditional farming methods, and it's the only way you will ever be able to safely eat anything grown on Mars. Plants absorb heavy metals and this is obviously a bad deal if you have vegetables, and furthermore using Martian regolith would -suck- for growth medium. Ignoring the perchlorate problem and the associated water it would require to fix, the process in which organic nitrates are formed in Earth soil needs certain bacteria. Most of the available nitrates in manure (especially from humans) just simply isn't compatible for most plant life, it needs to be broken down into first ammonia and then into a compatible nitrate. All of this requires an exponentially increasing amount of preparation and work for every cubic inch of soil. Oh and then there's the process of irrigating this mess of complicated shit that is just... dumb. Instead taking that same water and putting it through a hydroponics system you solve two problems: water for the plants and grow medium.

Nutrients can be done in a variety of ways, but the best way would be recycling organic matter in a composting bin (this is necessary either way) and then diluting it in water and applying to the plants. ("compost tea") Beyond that if you truly, truly want some meat in your diet an aquaponics system uses a lot of water but it does offer the benefits of aquaculture to the equation. How fish would fare spawning at 37% of Earth's gravity I don't know, but I imagine it's not going to be that big of a deal.
>>
>>8136884
Yes but which third do they have?
>>
>>8139508
What the fuck are you basing that on considering that at zero gravity, mamallian embryos don't even begin developing and are simply reabsorbed into the uterus?
>>
>>8136884
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Carousel
>>
Serious question would semen and piss float around everytime id use the bathroom in space? I know that when in orbit astronauts use vacuum type devices but i mean on mars or another planet. Are the effects of gravity the same as when in a shuttle?
>>
>>8137930
14.6 psi is 1 atmosphere.

The hab was at 12 psi. I think a sheet of heavy gauge plastic and duct tape an handle 12 psi.
>>
>>8138224
>conditions closer to earth
if your Jewish maybe
>>
Another upside is jetpacks would be more viable in lower gravity.
>>
File: MADsden_flag.jpg (127KB, 1710x840px) Image search: [Google]
MADsden_flag.jpg
127KB, 1710x840px
>>8141167
another upside is if you put a mentos in coke you will kill everyone in the habitat as the bottle will reach supersonic speeds
>>
>>8136884
How is going to colonise Mars when every person there is a massive economic drain? You'd need a net economic gain to build a sustainable city. Otherwise it's just an outpost.
>>
>>8136903
>spacesuit keeps the gravity out
>>
>>8141566
Futurists think that once something is in space it's free. Therefore, there is no such thing as economics in a Martian colony, and it can easily be self-sufficient (unlike McMurdo station, which costs millions).
>>
>>8141566
Same reason England settled North America.

There were really only three things from the colonies that went back to England for an economic benefit. Those things are Tobacco, Cotton, and lumber.

Most of the colonists went to get the fuck away from England.
>>
>>8142594
Also notable is that North America isn't a frozen wasteland where even the air is unbreathable, and as such the colonists didn't need constant support from England and the natives.
>>
>>8136884
Lets just build a giant damned space station with full sustainability and then shoot it out of our solar system so we can be space monkeys in our big metal jungle gym.
>>
>make casinos, drugs and hookers legal on mars
>shit gets terraformed and populated in two years
>>
>>8142585
This.
We can barely keep a station in low earth orbit supplied for 6 people, and it costs upwards of 3 billion per year.
>>
>>8142865
I wonder why Musk is trying to make rocketry more accessible to businesses and rich individuals, it couldn't possibly be to make profit could it? There couldn't possibly be other sources of revenue that will help fund the pioneering and development towards interplanetary trips being less of an absurd fucking waste, could there? There's absolutely no future market advantage to being the first public business to have successfully pulled it off, right?
>>
>>8142594
>Those things are Tobacco, Cotton, and lumber.
Which were fucking huge and more than paid off their investment
And you forgot fur, which paid for the settlement of the north.
>>
>>8142865
NASA built it using the most expensive launch vehicle ever made
It was just a jobs program

You think a fully reusable big methane rocket is going to have the same economics?
>>
File: 1323604742107.jpg (45KB, 400x382px) Image search: [Google]
1323604742107.jpg
45KB, 400x382px
>>8136973
>>8136975

top kek.

thanks boys.
>>
>>8142599
for the time period, North America might as well have been a nearly airless frozen rock.

Americans have a fucking holiday around the settlers getting their butts saved by the locals.

travel time in ships was equal to the trip to mars. equally dangerous too.
>>
File: 1319599850737.jpg (50KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1319599850737.jpg
50KB, 604x453px
>>8136884

He's sending only fat people, who no on Earth wants around anyway.
Thread posts: 172
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.