[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am so fucking confused so I come to you, sci. How is three

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1366754131353.jpg (52KB, 400x330px) Image search: [Google]
1366754131353.jpg
52KB, 400x330px
I am so fucking confused so I come to you, sci.

How is three phase power distributed and where does the neutral come from? I guess I am stupid because I have already read some Wikipedia articles and watched some videos but still can't wrap my head around it.

My two confusions are the neutral wire and three phase transmission. So I see three wires on the pole and these three wires go to the transformer and out comes four wires? Where does the fourth wire come from? Is it connected as input to the transformer or formed just on the secondary side? Is that netural white ground? If so is it just a wire going to the ground like residential grounds where you just bury a metal rod?
>>
>>8132140
>How is three phase power distributed and where does the neutral come from?
The neutral is a center tap on the transformer secondary.
>>
>Browse to Wikipedia
>see picture with four wires on pole
>read text that clearly describes "one wire for neutral, others for A, B and C phases"

>conclude that OP is an idiot.
>>
>>8132140
you don't need a neutral at all times.

look up floating neutral you faggot
>>
>>8132193
>>8132140
to be more precise, during transportation, the arrangement is in triangle (or delta ), and at use the arrangement is in star (or Y)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-%CE%94_transform

In the Y arrangement, you can add a wire at the center that will be the neutral.

If you want to get rid of the neutral, you can either have a floating neutral or adopt a delta arrangement.

The latter allows companies to save money from not using another cable.
>>
>>8132140
draw the phase diagram and see for yourself or plot the 3 sign waves on a graph

for balanced, star connected loads the voltages at the centre cancel to give 0v ie. a floating ground connection
>>
File: 1361515906321.jpg (29KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1361515906321.jpg
29KB, 400x400px
>>8132193
>floating neutral
holy fucking christ. I feel so fucking enlightened. Thanks a lot. Thanks everyone.

I still have a question about transformers. If it's three phase then you can have a floating neutral since you have the other phases which can be the return path.

But what if it's single phase and you have one wire? One wire goes as input to the transformer and and out comes two? Don't you need at least two wires?
>>
>>8133174
this is weird.
Either you have one CABLE (which contains two wires inside), or you have two wires at some point :)
>>
Let's keep this thread three-phase.

I live in the suburbs and there are small houses. All the houses including my house has three-phase power (four wires). Why is that? Isn't three phase for industries and shit?

What they have done at the main panel is that each phase is assigned to different sections (rooms) of the house.
>>
>>8134123
>All the houses including my house has three-phase power (four wires). Why is that? Isn't three phase for industries and shit?
yes it is
very bad design really.
They try to balance the power on all the phases by spreading the consumption on them, but it's hard to guarantee that.
usually power is transported in 3-phase, then when the wiring gets close to the houses, the phases are separated and each house gets one phase.
you can get 3-phase at home but it's more costly (you should check if you are billed more because of this btw).
And it's used for big power sinks like big motors
>>
>>8134137
I live in a shithole and low voltage is an issue here. Won't three phase actually help? We have a big house.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.