[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The local marketplace has sold a "math" sparknotes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: keko.png (1MB, 1220x691px) Image search: [Google]
keko.png
1MB, 1220x691px
The local marketplace has sold a "math" sparknotes type-thing for a number of years, and it's always looked like this.

The image contains one glaring (no pun or hint intended) factual error, among some other nitpicks. Find and identify the BIG MISTAKE in the chart, and then also identify the less flagrantly incorrect (yet ambiguous) items which can be partially excused depending on interpretation.

Hint: the distinction betwen "Whole Numbers" and "Natural numbers" is not any of these goofs. It is a convention used in American secondary eduction to remove confusion (and that I happen to agree with as a convention, quite frankly.)
>>
File: wildberger.png (296KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
wildberger.png
296KB, 500x375px
>>8132108
>>
>>8132108
Is the error in the picture or the text? The picture is correct, that's the conventional arrangement of those sets.
>>
>>8132108
I would complain about the definition or rationals not being incredibly clear that improper fractions are redundant, and q should be natural rather than integer. I have some other nitpicks but was unable to identify something major.

Useless comment on hint: I agree that the distinction between whole and natural is useful, but I hate the term "whole" used to add zero, I feel it's misleading.
>>
it seems sketchy to me to say that reals are a set of the complex numbers - they're a construction formed from reals and imaginaries, but not properly a containing set imo

also
>0 not a natural
lol
>>
>>8132108
set of real and imaginary numbers have no common element -> wrong, 0 is in both.
>>
>>8132157
0 isn't a natural number. That's the difference between natural and whole numbers.
>>8132158
How are you supposed to represent that on this kind of chart? And to be quite honest, if you interpret imaginary numbers to be numbers whose squares are nonnegative, zero isn't included. 0i is semantically wrong, but 0 + 0i isn't.
>>
>>8132194
>How are you supposed to represent that on this kind of chart?
No he's right, it's not the chart, it says in the text:
>the sets of real numbers and imaginary numbers have no elements in common and are therefore disjoint sets
>>
>>8132158
Ding-ding-ding! CORRECT! This is the major factual error in the graphic (in the text, near bottom left), and they've been printing it this same way for maybe 15 years.

The error is repeated somewhat in the crude graphic at right; the graphic agian suggests to us that the reals and imaginaries are disjoint within the complexes, which is of course false as has been observed.

Moreover, since the rationals and irrationals together are precisely all of hte reals, the graphical representation of a "real-number-space" outside these two sets is also misleading, unless one were to specify that that space (subset) is empty.

Also the blurb defining the rationals with a bit of context needs polishing. we are to consider "fractions", but the blurb should emphasize /again/, in the later example-text, that the "fractions" are always to consist of integers, etc (and not, as SMBC adroitly reminds us in opposite context, of expressions such as "π/1", which of course is a /fraction/."
>>
>>8132194
in the text, it's explicitely mentionned that reals and imaginaries don't cross.

>if you interpret imaginary numbers to be numbers whose squares are nonnegative
I don't, and no one does.
>>
>>8132108
>i is the number whose square is -1¨

but -i also works.
>>
>>8132204
>(-i)^2 = (-sqrt(1))^2 = -sqrt(1) * -sqrt(1) = sqrt(1)^2 = 1
>>
>>8132210
> i = sqrt(1)
o i am laffin
>>
File: diagram.png (49KB, 1255x942px) Image search: [Google]
diagram.png
49KB, 1255x942px
>>8132194

It's a good question. Pic related is my sketch of what to do.

Basically you have to represent that 0 belongs to most of these particular sets, but not to all of them. It occurred to me while sketching this that I don't know the detailed differences between a venn diagram and an euler diagram.
>>
>>8132235
You forgot to add the sets of transcendental (non-algebraic) numbers, computable numbers, and the definable real numbers.

These are all non-trivial
>>
>>8132247

It's possible you're having a very dry sense of humor, or else that you're serious. Either way, I anticipated that someone would bring up normals, algebraics, (why not odds and evens while we're at it?), etc. Obviously, we can continue ad infinitum in this wise, once we admit that "everything" is in some sense interesting.

So let me clarify. the object of the exercise has not been to diagram every interesting subset of the complexes, but rather to simply reinterpret the OP's (that is, the chart's) particular diagram as a more accurate and less misleading chart.
>>
>>8132194
Many modern definitions of the natural numbers do actually include 0.
>>
>>8132443
Though, again, I find "whole" and "natural" misleading names, it is still useful to have a single word to describe [math]\mathbb{Z}^+ \setminus \{0\}[/math], as it is used often.
>>
>>8132108
the big mistake appears to be in the rationals, it fails to establish an equivalence class where a/b = p/q iff aq=bp, otherwise 1/2 and 2/4 are distinct numbers
>>
>>8132487
plz read thread to avoid saying something that has already been said
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.