[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am not sure if this is a correct place to ask but still. Here

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: cyborg gf.jpg (61KB, 570x422px) Image search: [Google]
cyborg gf.jpg
61KB, 570x422px
I am not sure if this is a correct place to ask but still. Here is the quote from a book:

Though we feel that we can choose what we do, our understanding of the molecular basis of biology shows that biological processes are governed by the laws of physics and chemistry and therefore are as determined as the orbits of the planets. Recent experiments in neuroscience support the view that it is our physical brain, following the known laws of science, that determines our actions, and not some agency that exists outside those laws. For example, a study of patients undergoing awake brain surgery found that by electrically stimulating the appropriate regions of the brain, one could create in the patient the desire to move the hand, arm, or foot, or to move the lips and talk. It is hard to imagine how free will can operate if our behavior is determined by physical law, so it seems that we are no more than biological machines and that free will is just an illusion

Is there any source for these experiments? I can't find anything.
I also remember watching a video on youtube that explained this experiment well, I guess it was a cut from "Through the wormhole" or some other popular TV show about science. I hope someone would recall it.
>>
If you haven't found it, neither would i.
Read a book titled Connectome it's written by legit mit neuroscientist and he explains how a precise scan of our brain contains all our memories and personality.

The experiments you mentioned must be legit, stimulating brain is used often in science.
>>
>>8128668
https://youtu.be/sMb00lz-IfE

don't know about what you're looking for, but this adresses the same issue and contradicts your book
>>
>>8128708
Thanks for the video.
>>
Bump x2.
>>
>>8128668
>Physics proves determinism

When. When!. WHEN! Will this meme end?
>>
Can't wait for a 40yo virgin wizard to answer this
>>
>>8128835
>Free will exists in spite of a physical universe that we have no control over
Fuck, how many threads will spout this garbage meme before it dies?
>>
>>8128668
QT with a prosthesis.

If only she had gone for a more mechanical looking foot. Those imitation body parts are Uncanny Valley.
>>
If everything is determined like that, there would still no option for us to predict the exact future because we are a part of that system. Therfore free will still exists for us as from our position of view, we can make different decicions
>>
>>8128877
Except those decisions are determined by external factors and genetics, which one could argue is an external factor as a set of genes can be described as given to "you". And how would a physical universe prevent us from predicting the future? Predictions can be wrong without someone actively defying it you know.
>>
Okay I found it but I will post for those who are interested.

This episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMKNvtCzTYg

And most likely this research http://science.sciencemag.org/content/324/5928/811
>>
But certainly the interactions of molecules makes up a certain kind of universe itself. The greater actor of the brain certainly is composed of these molecules, and certainly there are traces to outside phenomena, but that does not make the brain insubstantial. (When working with models, modeling languages like UML help. very general on science and computer models of it. I would recommend.) Absolute determinism/free will are fallacies. They don't even have any evidence. The only one repeating these memes haven't done the thinking, are naive, and probably lack education on real science. Determinism is a conclusion, of which there must be an algorithm and a process to come to. Not everything is algorithms, there are more abstract forces at play. Certainly, a closed system can be simulated, or experimented with, but that doesn't mean an unexpected error is forever out of reach. Consider an infinitely recursive rational set of elementary objects. The base object is never reached, but infinitely processes and trickles to the top. Now imagine you're intelligent, you see the pattern of the algorithm and determine it's rules. And everything is partitioned within this base. Does this not give you enough freedom and determination?
>>
>>8129298
>Absolute determinism/free will are fallacies. They don't even have any evidence. The only one repeating these memes haven't done the thinking, are naive, and probably lack education on real science.

QFT
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.