[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EVERY RUNNER IS SOMETIMES LONELY >https://arxiv.org/abs/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: lonely runners.gif (160KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
lonely runners.gif
160KB, 300x300px
EVERY RUNNER IS SOMETIMES LONELY

>https://arxiv.org/abs/1606.01783

GET IT WHILE IT'S HOT
>>
File: 1460051936769.jpg (24KB, 236x330px) Image search: [Google]
1460051936769.jpg
24KB, 236x330px
I say before today's over, we see a blog post showing a flaw in the proof.
>>
>>8128343
It's legit. I just checked with the computer.
>>
>Combinatorics
MEME
>>
Kek somebody edited wikipedia already
>>
Why should I believe that? Arxiv has a lot of people claiming to have proved famous conjectures. You could see a few every week.
>>
define "lonely"
>>
>>8128343
>The paper has been withdrawn due to a mistake in the last line of the proof--it does not hold for n=0. Thanks to Terry Tao for pointing out this crucial gap
>>
File: eric_raymond_looking_away.jpg (186KB, 690x460px) Image search: [Google]
eric_raymond_looking_away.jpg
186KB, 690x460px
>>8128503
>dislikes combo

go to bed anon, the adults are talking
>>
>>8130145
That was fuckin fast. Show's over folks.
>>
>>8127876
This thread is good bait for people who might help me prove the following conjecture:

Is it possible to draw chords on a circle such that all the pieces of the circle have the same area but are not pairwise congruent?
>>
>>8130169
I doubt it. If you find it, leap on that opportunity to create a new Gomboc - patent and mass produce useless objects to materialist nerds.
>>
>>8130169
how many chords?
straight chords?
>>
>>8130184
Any amount of chords.

Straight.
>>
>>8130182
I doubt a division of a flat circle would allow one to create a Gomboc or something like that.

Anyway yeah I highly doubt it's possible. For one, I have proven by exhaustion it cannot be done in 5 chords or less. And the more chords you use the less likely it is that you will able to divide the circle up equally. I can describe any equal division of the circle as a system of trigonometric equations, but these equations can only be solved numerically. That has me at a dead end of how to manipulate the system to prove what I want.
>>
>>8130187
seems hard
>>
File: 1437767664665.gif (183KB, 400x384px) Image search: [Google]
1437767664665.gif
183KB, 400x384px
>>8130145
>n=0
BTFO
>>
>>8130145
Jesus Christ that's got to be embarrassing.
>>
does anyone know what the last line of the proof was?
>>
>>8130997
It's in the link in OP you inbred fag.
>>
>>8130145
>n=0
So sure, factorial can be defined for n=0, but Autists won't let this be.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.