[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you die because your bodily functions cease? Or do your bodily

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Raphael-Plato-and-Aristotle.jpg (1MB, 2040x1360px) Image search: [Google]
Raphael-Plato-and-Aristotle.jpg
1MB, 2040x1360px
Do you die because your bodily functions cease?
Or do your bodily functions cease because you are dead?
>>
>>8125537
You're your body, your body dies, you die.

Also, philosophy goes to >>/his/
>>
>>8125537
A living creature is pronounced dead when it's main organs essential to surviving fail. You can't be dead if all your organs work.
>>
What are 'you'?

A consciousness? Or a body?
>>
>>8125576
Cant have consciousness without a body.
>>
>>8125537
both
>>
>>8125581
Prove it.
Pro tip, you can't
>>
It's because your soul exits the body.
>>
>>8125590
does logic applied to observed phenomena count as proof?

>minimum criteria for consciousness is being able to think
>being able to think requires the ability to perform a computation
>everything that has ever performed a computation has a physical form associated to it (your brain, a computer)
therefore, although it may not be impossible to be a 'consciousness' without having an associated physical form, no such phenomena has ever been observed

and no, god is not a consciousness without physical form, because god has never performed a computation
>>
I have a hypotheses that consciousness isn't what people think it is; meaning it's a trick of biology caused by a random mutation and there is no "I" or "you" in the sense of a continuous existing entity and the identity is based on ridusal memories, most of which are slightly distorted [confabulation].
Basically, there is no self in the sent of "I think therefore I am".

Basically animals developed a complicated system of neural networking that allowed for data to be stored, however the data is sorted into area of positive and negative relationships and conceptual relationships.

So, your body goes through all sorts of changes, but the neural network refuses to remember particular negatives because the brain itself would detect that as a loss and going into survival mode, which WAS useful.
Then someone randomly developed a gene that allowed for Logic Loops in the brain that modify memories and understanding of one's environment, so that they don't overreact in crowded areas [what later became social circumstances].

These Logic Loops are what we would call "the self" or "consciousness".
It explains everything from mental illness [dissociation is caused when these loops are broken; mood disorders when part of the loop is disturbed, etc.] to religious thinking [magical thinking, confirmation bias, anchoring, etc.].

Consciousness and choice are in the same level; they both illusions caused by incomplete and skewed understanding of data and reality.

We're reactive, but our input and memory?
It's mostly fiction folks.
Sorry.
>>
God i cringe so much reading the replies in here, i mean, have anyone in here ever actually read something about philosophy?
It's not that simple saying that a thing can't exist just because you can't see it, neither it is to assume that something doesn't exist because it has never performed any computation you know
>>
Anything can be defined "dead" on the clinical side whenever his organs aren't working anymore, if being dead means every single living part (which may not be physical) doesn't exist anymore then you can't be sure
>>
>>8125625
Cool. So we evolved complex awareness, but Op wants to know who dies first.

"You"are a result of a bodily function, so it all dies together but by some stretch you can argue the body has to be deprived and die first to kill "you".
>>
>>8125537
Are you A because a? Or you A because A?
>>
>>8125742
I was trying to make the point that it's all based on biology; and therefore when your biology stops working, you're dead.

The idea that you die therefore your body functions cease is a weird "affirming the consequent" fallacy that doesn't make a lick of sense.

It's like OP is stuck in a syllogistic loop, and they don't understand what illitic fallacies [minor/major] are.

Anon could have just googled
>"If X then Y if T then X"
>>
>>8125748
That's what I said here, in more detail:
>>8125775
>>
File: 20150908_233419.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150908_233419.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>8125537
You die when your mind stops working. Your mind is a product of the brain so physically speaking, you're dead as fuck when your brain stops working.

Simple as that folks.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.