[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will a large enough sample of pitchblende be able to enrich the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

File: 1437014873332.jpg (64KB, 750x900px) Image search: [Google]
1437014873332.jpg
64KB, 750x900px
Will a large enough sample of pitchblende be able to enrich the U-238 enough to be warm enough to melt gallium?
Also, will it emit gamma rays?
I was wanting to try make a kinetic sculpture where gallium would flow in a physical simulation of plate tectonics, although I note that gallium is lighter when solid which may cause weirdness.
>>
>>8123559
>Daily reminder that 4chan's first boards were /a/-Anime General, /b/-Anime Random and /c/-Anime Cute

Oh wait, I forgot. You are like 12 and just started coming to 4chan last week. Yeah, you wouldn't know shit about fuck right?

4chan boards may now involve a bunch of other subjects but the sticky cum that holds us all together, regardless of board, is anime. This is a website for people who like anime to come and discuss things that are not anime, with other people who like anime.

If you don't like anime you don't belong here. There is always reddit for the 4chan-lite experience.
>>
>>8123712
Nah, I'm just someone who likes science and anime.

But seriously, shut the fuck up.

Stop spamming the board with drivel people won't listen to.
>>
File: 1464174976959.webm (2MB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1464174976959.webm
2MB, 480x480px
OP here, calm down and look at little piggy.
>>
>>8123763
>>8123767
What do these posts have to do with science?
>>
>>8123805
Nothing whatsoever, just waiting for someone who knows enough about nuclear physics to come along.
>>
>>8123449
Not an expert, but no not in a feasible way. Inmost countries it is illegal to make a homemade reactor and even acquiring radioactive materials can land you on government watch lists. Uranium ore in any form will emit some Gamma rays at all times and a critical mass will produce quite a lot of ionizing radiation. If you want to make a sculpture I think a cheap electric heater would be the fastest and safest method to do so. Hope that helps.
>>
>>8123449
What the fucking fuck did you just say? You have no fucking idea what you are doing. You posted awoo so I'll fucking reply.

U-238 is pretty much inert, it ain't gonna heat up or emit gamma rays. Sure you can make a nuclear reactor using uranium that has not been enriched(the so called natural uranium), but it has to be HUGE like Chicago Pile huge. And fuck no it cannot be pitchblende. Yes it will be radioactive and the NRC will not be happy if you do this.

Just use an electric heater. Oh and gallium will eventually form an oxide crust which will fuck things up. Gallium is also fucking expensive. So take a fucking look at wax plate tectonic models
>>
File: Tardigrade.png (115KB, 1024x624px) Image search: [Google]
Tardigrade.png
115KB, 1024x624px
>>8125049
>What the fucking fuck did you just say? You have no fucking idea what you are doing. You posted awoo so I'll fucking reply.
/sci/ in a nutshell
>>
>>8125049
Won't natural uranium enrich itself though if it's large enough to not waste many neutrons?
>>
File: 20160423_093434(0).jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160423_093434(0).jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>8125557
What the fuck do you mean 'enrich itself'? No natural uranium does not 'enrich itself.' That is known as breeding fuel. When you breed fuel using natural uranium, if you don't have a weird goddamn reactor you gotta process your fuel to remove nuclear poisons and the plutonium you bred. Yes when you breed fuel from natural uranium you make plutonium.

Did I mention that said reactors need to be fucking big? Pic fucking related, it's a shitty pic of the Hanford B reactor which did exactly that. It's pretty goddamn big.
>>
>>8125611
What about that supposed natural nuclear reactor though which was found underground?
>>
File: oklo-3.jpg (63KB, 537x357px) Image search: [Google]
oklo-3.jpg
63KB, 537x357px
>>8125618
The Oklo reactors? Those happened when U-235 existed in much higher concentrations.
>>
>>8125622
Ah, that clears up a lot.
So, is none of the stuff in the Pu-239 decay chain a neutron emitter?
>>
>>8125624
No, you just end up with nuclear poisons that absorb neutrons and stop the reactions.
>>
Take your pedophile cartoons back to >>>/sci/
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.