[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come when it comes to genetics or genetic engineering universities

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 65446541651651.jpg (38KB, 625x351px) Image search: [Google]
65446541651651.jpg
38KB, 625x351px
How come when it comes to genetics or genetic engineering universities don't offer that subject directly? At least they don't do in my country. Instead you study a subject that only offers genetics as a specialty like medicine, biochemistry, biology, agriculture, etc.
So what do you go for if you want to get into genetic engineering for the future? Biochemistry?
>>
Tried looking up Bioengineering?
>>
>>8117398
Yes, and that goes more in the direction of engineering. Like you're more an engineer with background knowledge on biology and chemistry with that.
>>
>>8117384
Genetic engineering is a technique, a means to an end, not a subject in and of itself. Genetic engineering uses range from botany to synthetic biology. Whether you do Biochemistry or Biology for undergrad doesn't matter, you will be using genetic engineering in both. In grad school, you will have to choose a subject to study and chances are, that will include genetically modifying organisms. In industry, biotechnology positions usually include genetic modification, again.
>>
I don't see the problem. If you're interested in genetics just study biology or biochemistry.
>>
>>8117414
>>8117418
Okay then I should be more specific. If in the future we will be genetically modifying people, what should I exactly study?
>>
File: 1463336388606.jpg (21KB, 231x204px) Image search: [Google]
1463336388606.jpg
21KB, 231x204px
>>8117434
>what should I study to mod people
Law
>>
>>8117434
There is no single answer for ANY applied field such as your example - they combine many different areas of research. If it's relevant, you have a shot at getting a job with it. If you aren't aware, even CS is relevant as we are inventing shitty languages to compile into DNA sequences. Do more research and figure out not just what you want to be involved in, but how you want to be involved and contribute.
>>
>>8117384
Plenty of people have an M.Sc. in Genetics, it makes no sense to study it for B.Sc.
>>
>>8117434
molecular biology
or
biochemistry
>>
at my uni genetic engineering is under microbiology
>>
Because "genetics engineering" is a fancy buzzword for biochemistry, which is a fancy name for "hours of upon hours of filling microcentrifuge tubes"

Some guy on here tried to argue that genetic engineering was more than that before and he just ended up repeating what I said. I've done "genetic engineering" and it's boring as hell. You identify a gene sequence, splice the gene into a known bacteria, and run endless kinetic tests on it until you can say with certainty you've "engineered" it. It's boring unless you have a major hard on for biological chemistry.
>>
>>8118378
called epi-tubes, does anyone actually say microcentrifuge tubes or what kind of homo lab do you work at?
>>
Because genetic-engineering isn't flipping burgers in McDonalds. Your background in chemistry and biology has to be solid. Genetics is only part of a bigger picture.
>>
>>8118392
We call them Eppendorf tubes.
>>8118378
>and run endless kinetic tests on it until you can say with certainty you've "engineered" it
Wat.
>>
I studied microbiology for undergrad. We did some genetic modification and cloning in some of my classes, simple shit.
Now I can't get a job doing anything even close to that. Wish I could.
>>
>>8118442
>studying life science/pure science degree
>expecting science jobs

You're doing it wrong. Pure science degrees are awful for STEM jobs (except engineering). You have to go for a PhD to even have a chance at getting an actual science job.
>>
>>8117384
>How come when it comes to genetics or genetic engineering universities don't offer that subject directly?

"Genetic engineering" is fancy term for cloning, which is commonplace in any biological or biomedical research lab. Any project starts with cloning.

With regards to a degree in genetics, I've heard of a few big state schools (with massive undergraduate biology programs) that have genetics tracks. But, a BA/BS in genetics would be, in my opinion, too specialized for the undergraduate level. I think that broad coursework in a molecular biology program, comprising intermediate lectures in genetics, biochemistry, cell biology, etc. would provide a stronger base.

>So what do you go for if you want to get into genetic engineering for the future? Biochemistry?

First, knock out a BA/BS in biology, preferably molecular/cellular biology if your school offers it. Then you should look at bioengineering PhD programs.
>>
>>8118492
>I think that broad coursework in a molecular biology program, comprising intermediate lectures in genetics, biochemistry, cell biology, etc. would provide a stronger base.

that's how is done here, if you want any life science degree, you start either from a molecular bio major (leads to microbiology/genetics/bioinformatics) or chemistry (which leads to biochemistry)
>>
>>8118492
>"Genetic engineering" is fancy term for cloning
So what about knock-outs, knock-ins, alteration of regulatory sequences, are they cloning too?
Faggot.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.