[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm wondering what /sci/ thinks about cognitive sciences.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 655182.png (54KB, 400x459px) Image search: [Google]
655182.png
54KB, 400x459px
I'm wondering what /sci/ thinks about cognitive sciences. Now, it is obvious that they are different from both the natural sciences and social sciences, but what is the nature of the information they create/produce? Are they/can they be "objective" (please don't derail the thread with radical subjectivism, accept naive realism for thread's sake) like physics and be produce abstract, logical knowledge like maths, or can they not?
Of course, some of these sciences include fields based on "historical knowledge", like historic linguistics or ethnogprahy etc, I think it is safe to ignore them as they are out of cognitive science and are more close to social sciences/history.
>>
>>8117133
>and be produce
wew. and produce* obviously.
>>
The brain follows these rules:
1.) Particular functions are handled by particulars parts of the brain
2.) The brain stores information and related information [longterm-shortterm; abstract-literal]
3.) The brain is reactive to threats and attractions [fight-flight; attraction-attachment]

And that's basically it. The complex part is finding out:
1.) How it does it
2.) How it came to be that way
3.) The detains of storage and relationship model building

It's not some great spooky mystery and it's not a soft science, it's just harder to look at because we don't have the tech, and different people build [modify] different brains based on different experiences and environments..
>>
>>8117161
*details [/detains]
>>
>>8117161
>That pic

[TRIGGERED]

Humans are also the only species that PLANTS trees.
>>
>>8117165
squirrels plant trees
>>
>>8117165
some birds plant trees
>>
>>8117165
Me too. Whole society has gone paperless, the trees are saved already.
>>
>>8117165
Tons of animals plant trees; tons of insects are relied upon for pollination.
Tree farms don't plant equal or more than they tear down, and the time for them to grow before more are torn down isn't sustainable.

Although in all fairness, we depend upon algae more for oxygen production than trees
>>
>>8117172
>Whole society has gone paperless
Not at all. Not even close.
I still get mail and newspapers every single day.
>>
>>8117161
>doesn't know shit about cognitive science
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.