[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Memorisation Hi /sci/, what techniques/methods do you use to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: brain.png (255KB, 425x312px) Image search: [Google]
brain.png
255KB, 425x312px
Memorisation

Hi /sci/, what techniques/methods do you use to improve commitment of information to long-term memory?

Too often I find myself forgetting things that I learnt a few years ago and it makes me unsettled and makes me view the time I spent studying the subjects to have been wasted if I can't even recall it a few years later.
>>
1.) Put them in a context that makes what you're studying important
2.) Rhythmic memorization

Also these:
>>
>>8107551
fap while memorizing
>>
>>8107551
I'm synesthetic (Grapheme-color so numbers/letters are colors), so that helps. This is going to sound super autistic, but whenever I need to memorize a lot of information, recall an image of an intersection near my house and group individual elements as parts of the picture (so in this example, frontal lobe could correspond with the house that is on this intersection and the individual parts would be parts of the house grouped by the colors I associate with them). It's harder for long words because they don't immediately correlate with color, but the parts of the words do.

I realize how autistic this sounds, but this is how I've always remembered things. My understanding is that this is a form of a mnemonic that people use (building structures).
>>
I have an eidetic memory, and will never understand your subhuman need for "memorization".
>>
>>8107639
zimbabwe
>>
practice with random digit strings. see how long your memory of a string lasts, for x number of repetitions.

figure out the proportion of # of reps/duration of memory

ex.

for a random sequence chosen from digits 0-9, given a length of 1, it takes you how many minutes to remember it, such that the memory lasts one hour, two hours, three hours, n hours.

expand on this until you figure out what's the limit for your personal memorization needs. do you want to memorize something for life? for six months? for five minutes? once you figure out the formula (specific to experiments you do on yourself), you will know what you need to memorize.

memorizing content with meaning will be easier to memorize if you can also memorize a block of text of the same length that is random.

this is from personal experience. i have a spreadsheet that tells me how long it will take to memorize something of an arbitrary length for an arbitrary duration. it's convenient like a amortization table and helps me with time management so i can have a more flexible schedule.
>>
File: Make_It_Stick.jpg (13KB, 262x400px) Image search: [Google]
Make_It_Stick.jpg
13KB, 262x400px
In short: spaced repetition, interleaved topics, and regular testing.

An app like ANKI basically puts all these techniques together algorithmically. I can testify to its efficacy in practice.
>>
>>8107680

are there quizzes in anki or is it just flashcards?
>>
>>8107696
Well, it's flashcards.. that you quiz yourself with. You can create filtered decks fairly easily.
>>
>>8107771
>filtered decks

not sure what that is. i am a non-traditional learner (euphemism for old-fart) and I use quizlet. I like it because it creates quizzes for me that i can just type in the answer to and get a "wrong" or "right" response. i like it mostly because i'm lazy. I tried anki but quizlet is a little too addicting. I was able to memorize all the countries in the world in an hour or so. it is very fun. also I can include pictures in the cards, which makes memorizing things like anatomy very easy!
>>
>>8107813
It's just a subset of a deck, say you want to test yourself on a specific topic. But in the sense you're saying, no anki does not make quizzes.

The point of it though is that anyone can memorize something in an hour or two. That's short term memory. But are you going to remember it tomorrow? How about in a week? 3 months from now? Transferring the knowledge to long term memory is what it's about.
>>
I have been perfecting the techniques that are just right for me for quite a few years, and to be frank it also varies by the subject. Memorizing anatomy was nothing like memorizing hematopathology.
The general pipeline is as follows:
1. Learning: Reading the class notes for each class, and making Anki flashcards while reading them (this is generally the most important part, though I have subjects I don't use Anki for). This is usually last year's class notes.
1a. In depth Learning: For difficult subjects, go over textbook (for instance Robbin's for pathology) that weekend
2. Memorizing: Keep doing Anki until the exam.
3. Cramming: Go over current class notes+presentations before exam.
4. Retention: After exam, keep doing Anki forever. Sadly, eventually you forget most you don't use regardless of how much you Anki it.
>>
>>8107639
>eidetic memory isn't found in adults
enjoy your ban
>>
>>8107551
There are 2 techniques known not to be utter bullshit, Loci method and it's variations and the Link method.

Everyone at those memory competitions uses these
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 477x268px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 477x268px
>>8107588
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.