[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I figured this was the most academic board on here. I need some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: lasagna-thumb.jpg (305KB, 625x380px) Image search: [Google]
lasagna-thumb.jpg
305KB, 625x380px
I figured this was the most academic board on here.

I need some input, I have a low gpa of 2.4 and the jobs or graduate schools that i want to go to have a cutoff of 3. I could graduate with a 2.8 realistically but my advisor gave me some strange advice.

She told me that if I transferred to another school and graduated in two years from it I would come out with a higher gpa and be more qualified to work where i want to work or get into a better school for graduate school.

The part that confuses me is that she implied that transferring to another school would basically reset my gpa and allow me to apply to jobs/grad school with a higher gpa than I have now.

I know advisors can be pretty fucking wrong sometimes so I'm here asking if the american school system actually works this way. I'd be transferring my pre-reqs ofc to speed up graduation. If it doesn't work in america would it work transferring to another country?

pls respond.
>>
>>8107176
You should ask your advisor about specifics. It's her job to supply them. Also, read the sticky; you should visit >>>/adv/ for this sort of content.

That being said, idk. sorry senpai.
>>
>>8107184
posted there too, thanks for responding.

I'm doing a lot of research now but I'm not certain yet. I cant talk to my advisor again until wednesday because shes busy but I wanted to see if this was a common option.
>>
I did some research and the GPA does reset in that your degree will have only the GPA at the new uni attached to it, but I'm now unsure about the transfer process.

Has anyone else transferred from school to school for any reason?
>>
Yes, you only keep credits for classes that meet their minimum though. Any D's may not count and you'll need to retake. When I transferred from CC with a 3.8. I got core major classes but a 0.00 starting gpa.

It's rough. You get all the hard weed out classes and stuff and a very flimsy gpa.

Most 4 year students worked hard to keep the gpa high through BS 101, and let their gpa free fall through harder classes. You gotta stay on top of things
>>
>>8107176
get a 3 and go into public health
>>
>>8107369
why do you mention public health? I'm 75% educated as a rocket scientist.

>>8107356
yeah it will be hard to maintain the higher gpa without the fluff courses, but for the same effort staying or transferring, I would end up with a higher institutional gpa after a transfer. The fluff classes I took here weigh my gpa down instead of raise it.
>>
>>8107379
It's the easiest professional/grad school to get into
>>
>>8107382
oh. although important, I don't personally want to work in or study in the public health industry.
>>
>>8107176
Get good papers published. Win some oral presentation awards from conferences. Do an interesting and well executed honors research thesis. These are worth something if your gpa is borderline.
>>
>>8107427
I did engineering competitions and was a student leader for a few years but i want a good gpa, im sup 3
>>
>>8107470
sub 3*
>>
>>8107470
For grad school gpa is important (less so if you go work for a bit), but honestly it doesn't matter so much for jobs. It may matter for your firt job, but you can probably get away with not listing it. After that it almost certainly won't. If you do need to list it, it won't be as bad as it would be for other majors (especially stuff like communications, business, etc.). Employers/grad schools understand that engineering is harder than other stuff (though they definitely prefer 3+ gpas). Worst case scenario you could serve in the military for a couple years.

I have a gpa below 3 (like 2.7 or so?) in mathematics/chemistry, so I kind of know where you're coming from (except I don't want to go to grad school). I'm applying to OCS with the Army, Navy, and Air Force.
>>
>>8107480
in aerospace gpa is relatively important. to get a job at JPL you need a minimum of 3.0, and i dont want to go and work somewhere shit for a couple years before entering the proper workforce.
>>
>>8107495
I'm not super familiar with Aerospace, but you don't necessarily need to go somewhere shitty for a couple years.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.