[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you deal with the fact that you went to a non Oxbridge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: 4L_TYXiXekI.png (453KB, 496x484px) Image search: [Google]
4L_TYXiXekI.png
453KB, 496x484px
How do you deal with the fact that you went to a non Oxbridge / MIT / Stanford / Caltech / Ivy League university and were surrounded by anti-intellectuals and had a much less rigorous curriculum for the entirety of undergrad?

It feels fucking awful to me. When I see giant university buildings I am in disbelief. These are monuments to a broken society that celebrates mediocrity.
>>
And yet here you are right now.
>>
>>8105959
>How do you deal with the fact that you went to a non Oxbridge / MIT / Stanford / Caltech / Ivy League university

By not caring. There are opportunities everywhere for those smart enough to look for them and at this point I can tell you that I have gotten more professional opportunities as a student than most of the people at Harvard ever will.

I mean, how common is it, even for Harvard people, to get internships related to their education from their freshman year? I will be generous and say at most 50%.

> by anti-intellectuals

Average people are not anti intellectuals. Also, if you want to talk about intellectuals then just google the shit that happened at Yale, which is Ivy League.

>The point is not to make an intellectual space, it is about making a home here!

I am paraphrasing that but it has been months since I saw that video, so fuck it.

Is that the kind of 'intellectual' you admire?

If anything, that proves that it is not the university that makes the student, it is the student that makes the university.

That girl was surrounded by the supposed best of the best, and yet she came out shit.
>>
>>8105959
mit ocw my man
>>
I only actually went to the physical uni building when I had an exam or a project. Otherwise I spent all day in my room. A decent university would've been totally wasted on me.
>>
>>8105959
i thought all of them were good but then i entered one and realized not all of them are equal. Desperately tried to get on those transfer programs to one of the better schools. In the end gave up. When i sleep my dreams are about failure.
>>
>>8105959
>>8106027
MIT here as well, got a year left.

I Don't really know that feel but I guess I'd drink myself into a stupor, or something of the like.
>>
>>8105959
I went to UCLA and it was fine desu

Full of well-qualified rejects of those schools and it was quite competitive
>>
Is that why, even though my GPA is 3.8, I smoke cigarettes and get wasted before smoking a bowl everyday? I drink whiskey like its water

Georgia Tech here, also quite drunk
>>
>>8107348
UC Berkeley and UCLA are in a weird little tier of their own just below the elite schools. Your education was probably better than the average podunk state grad here.
>>
>>8107354
whats good fellow yellow jacket
>>
>>8107310
>I guess I'd drink myself into a stupor, or something of the like.
That's the spirit! A lot of us who went to those "non-rigor" schools (aka where people who don't come from money and couldn't get scholarships and grants out the ass) took that attitude the moment we found out how worthless we appear. That and when you're in a school that's traditionally more liberal arts/business/whatever oriented, you feel like you're the only one among the people you know who studies more than 20 minutes each day. Why do you think all the people from these supposedly shitty schools drink like fish?
>>
>>8107366
Drinkin. Tired of this fucking city. you alumni or a student?
>>
>>8107354
You're really a saint. I like you.
>>
>>8107371
I was being sarcastic dipshit, who gives a damn as long as you're actually trying
>>
>>8105959
I'm gonna be a doctor, so university doesn't actually matter for me
>>
>>8107387
Shit, aren't medical schools the most picky institutions?
>>
>>8107384
Nobody gives a shit, but drinking is an important activity.
>>
>>8107392
Pretty much they only care about GPA so they can statwhore. If you went to Stanford or Harvard or something you can go most places but otherwise they don't really care
>>
>>8107393
drinking is an important activity within university courses regardless of institution.

One of my tests included wave-particle duality, Electron wave-packet interference, and a practical portion of how much beer I can chug in 2 minutes
>>
>>8107403
Hopefully you're a minority or a woman because their GPA for white males is stupid
>>
>>8107410
Lol your biggest concern is whites? Have you not forgotten about this hyper aggressive race called Asians?
>>
File: 1464393848112.jpg (27KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1464393848112.jpg
27KB, 300x300px
>>8107430
No one should be concerned of Asians, one day the asian population will grow so large it'll collapse into a singularity, consuming all of mankind with them.
>>
>>8107430
Asians at least aren't generally discriminated against by affirmative action (although at this point they should be). If you're white, always claim you're Jewish, because that's basically an in on any application.
>>
>>8107360
Engineering at Berkeley is top notch, breh. They also BTFO of every other university for physics, and are pretty great for math.
>>
>>8107450
this, and oxbridge/some ivy schools are pretty shit for STEM afaik (not even in top 20 in most rankings)
>>
>>8107430
Asians are a minority.

How are you expecting to get into med school again?
>>
>>8107450
>engineering
>>
>>8105959
>you went to a non Oxbridge / MIT / Stanford / Caltech / Ivy League university
so did Perlmutter, didn't hurt him any
>>
>>8107459
Asian bro forgot to mention earlier, didn't know we're a minority, kinda stupid giving a privileged group of people even more privileges
>>
>>8107453
True. For STEM, especially lab intensive fields (engineering biochem, etc. ) some big state schools are better suited to provide undergraduates with more opportunity than liberal arts ivy leagues. And even then, at some schools like the UofMinnesota, where there exists an active honors program, you can basically give yourself an ivy league eduactuon for a fraction of the cost, and without the cutthroat enviorment places like Harvard and MIT foster.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.