[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to get good on spectroscopy theory, particularly vibrational

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Bromomethane_IR_spectroscopy.png (34KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
Bromomethane_IR_spectroscopy.png
34KB, 700x525px
I need to get good on spectroscopy theory, particularly vibrational and Raman. Any recommended textbooks?
>>
this is obv not my field

but spectroscopy always gives me major aneurysms
>all that variability
>all that noise
>somehow manage to pull out 99% accuracy of whatever the fuck molecule

how
>>
>>8097965
Autism along with lots of trial and error to develop the theory. Spec is so fucking based though, I get to use an FTIR tomorrow
>>
>>8097994
Any advice on learning it?
>>
>>8097958
Intro to spectroscopy is fine
>>
>>8097958
desu senpai I'm not really aware of many textbooks on it
>>
>>8097965
Prepare your NMR samples better.
>>
>>8097958

I don't know about any good books, but if I wanted to get really good at interpreting spectra, I would definitely include getting a hold of a library of spectra and practice reading these. I don't know any sources of spectral libraries, but I know they are out there. Start with simple compounds and work your way up to more complicated ones.
>>
>>8097994
Look into 2 & 3D NMR spectroscopy. You'll have to be familiar with 1D first of course, but after that the 2/3D stuff isn't so much harder to grasp. They even sequence proteins with these techniques.

I just had a course on this stuff, and the most ridiculous thing of all are the pulse sequences of magnetization and magnetization transfers and what not that physicists come up with to do things that allow transfer over multiple C bonds, or From the NH of a protein residue all the way over the C=O to the CB of the preceding one. Crazy shit.

But also, don't forget about diffraction. Spec is cool but diffraction has crystals, X-ray beams, and jeweler's glasses, and you see the exact structure mapped out before you with the aid of a bunch of intriguing, almost esoteric math like reciprocal spaces and Ewald spheres. Gotta know symmetry real well though.
>>
>>8097958
Quantitative Chemical Analysis by Daniel C. Harris has some good chapters on spectroscopy and Organic Chemistry by Paula Y. Bruice also has two nice ones, though not as in depth.
>>
>>8097958
spectrochemical analysis by james d. ingle jr. and stanley r. crouch
>>
this shit is literally memescropy

i don't know how chemfags handle this garbage
>>
File: 41VNR9ECXEL.jpg (24KB, 362x475px) Image search: [Google]
41VNR9ECXEL.jpg
24KB, 362x475px
>best organic spec book of all time
>>
>>8100303
Came here to post this
>>
>>8100303
>Silverstein
Eh, any other suggestions?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.