[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When is it too late to start trying in life? Is there any point

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: 5yDQd.jpg (52KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
5yDQd.jpg
52KB, 403x403px
When is it too late to start trying in life?

Is there any point trying if you won't be the best there is at something?

If you come from a shit, poor background are you doomed to waste the rest of your days in that same shitty poor background?
>>
what's the point of trying to be the best if you're not already?

I mean what's the point of being the best anyway?
>>
>>8096948
When you die

Being written down in some book means nothing to you after you die, live to experience

No, but you need to try really hard or be really lucky to break free
>>
>>8096948
You're probably like 24 or some shit.
>>
>>8096948
>Is there any point trying if you won't be the best there is at something?

That's a misconception.

It's not about becoming the best there is, but about becoming the best you've ever been.
Almost everything you start, you are being unexperienced at and bad. The more you progress you see the goal is not to be the best, but seeing yourself become better and achieving things you thought couldn't do.

Protip: There is always someone better than you.
>>
>>8096971

I'm 22 myself, but I have these thoughts often. That's just human nature; Defeat the pessimism and move on, friend.
>>
>>8096948
There are a billion scholarships for people from poor shitty backgrounds. So I don't see any reason to be stuck there outside of fear
>>
>>8096984
>22
>too late to start trying

wew lad
>>
>>8096948
>wanting to be the best
protip: people who are the best at something are rarely really happy. you should just focus on being happy.
>>
>>8096999
those are some very nice repeating digits
>>
>>8096971
>>8096984
>>8096999

Do you fellows think that I might have a chance of becoming a respected writer?

I am 21 years old. I am married to a 26-year-old woman (my sweet Anne) who is now pregnant for the second time (we already have one daughter). Me and my wife live with my parents, in a small house, in an rural town. I work with my dad making gloves and working with leather: it is a small family business, a small tannery-shop. It pays the bills, but little more than that, and a writing career don’t seem to be something that would help me to sustain my family.

I like to read Ovid, Seneca and Virgil in my free time (I learned to love literature in school, but I dropped it to help my father in his busyness). I also like to write poetry, but I usually do not have much time to devote to art with my work, my wife, my child, and other occupations. Soon there will be another mouth to feed, and I am a little worried that my dream of becoming a great poet might die out here, in the country.

I am almost 22. I wonder if I still have time to achieve something in my life.
>>
>>8097019
maybe you'll be the next big name in the glove industry.

you always see clothes, hats, shoes.
you rarely see gloves.
>>
>>8097041
and before anyone makes fun of this, I've met a few millionaires/billionaires. Some of them were just... making tomato concentrate.
Learn your business, don't just stick with making gloves. Help with accounting, client and supplier management, etc
everything counts.
>>
>>8097019
I imagine you're pretty fucked just because you have kids. Kids ruin your life and you're only 22 on top of that. I feel fucking sorry for you but you did it to yourself. Furthermore, your chances of becoming a great poet is abysmal just because the chances are abysmal to begin with. On a positive note, you'll just have to come up with ways of getting poetry into your life and perhaps your experiences presently will help to feed your creativity. What it really comes down to is are you willing to dedicate any free time you get to poetry? If you like it that much, you'll sacrifice whatever else it is you do in your free time.
>>
I started trying at about 22. After being a NEET for two years I finished college and now I'm doing my PhD at MIT.
>>
>>8097104
What's your concentration anon?
>>
>>8097019
Well your backstory sounds like one of a depressed poet or a writer. Just write something and try to get it published (or just put it on the internet, I don't know how the poetry industry works).
Also ask /lit/. they would be better to ask about this shit
>>
Since this thread seems to have a few people, I'd like to ask, is there any established decent way to go about starting your own company?

I know the world is saturated with tech startups but what does it take if you're actually serious about creating a good business.
>>
>>8097193
I suggest thinking a bit more about what you want to do and mean by business:
-is it a tech based business
-is it a more "traditional" business

answers will differ
>>
>>8097198

Tech based all the way. I know tech startups are a stupid meme but is there any particular way to go about it
>>
>>8097207
idk at EPFL we have a pretty good master's program that specializes in high-tech management and entrepreneurship
http://cdm.epfl.ch/mte/master-minor_management_technology_entrepreneurship

you should look up some similar programs
>>
File: AMA7n.jpg (141KB, 523x4409px) Image search: [Google]
AMA7n.jpg
141KB, 523x4409px
>>
File: 1463804929434.jpg (67KB, 600x744px) Image search: [Google]
1463804929434.jpg
67KB, 600x744px
>>8096948
The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.
The second best time is now.
>>
>>8097182
His backstory sounds like the romantic ideal version of a poet or writer's backstory. In real life, the vast majority of authors get gud because they have time to get gud, and they have time to get gud because they're born into wealth.

>b-but anon, what about writer so and so?
Ah, you seem to have misread my post. I said "vast majority", not "100% every single one no exceptions".
>>
>>8097227
Where's this from?
>>
>>8097336
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiji_%28manga%29#Anime
>>
>>8097207
/biz/ would be a good place to ask
>>
Im 25, i got my associates at 19 and had decided its all i needed. Wrong.

So now im back as a junior for mechanical engineering.
>>
>>8097207
The LEAN startup is a good way to take an idea and see if it can be fleshed out into a reality
>>
File: lean-canvas.jpg (47KB, 728x532px) Image search: [Google]
lean-canvas.jpg
47KB, 728x532px
>>8097207
>>8097363

Specifically their version of the business model canvas. If you go through that, and re work it (best on a whiteboard), youll be *less* likely to fall directly on your face.

Pic very rated. The lean startup business mode canvas.
>>
>>8096948
>>>/adv/
>>
>>8097379
M8 this is a meme thread. It doesn't belong anywhere.
>>
>>8097227
I'm heading this way and fucking hate myself for it.
>>
>>8097465
That show (in the picture) is actually one of my favorite animu.

I always get reminded of how much I'm wasting my life with each birthday. Don't make excuses, we're trash. Only way to get back up is actually try.
>>
>>8097465
the problem is that capitalism has relied on technological improvements, which makes us believe that capitalism is why we're here in the first place.

A race to productivity means that most people will just have to spend all their time working to sustain themselves. Only a few people can have time to spare.

When robots finally do everything we hate doing, either capitalism will still be up and everyone will live in ghettos because muh merit muh you didnt work to get food
or people will finally realize that communism isn't actually that bad and robots/AI will be a liberation from the burden of work, and allow everyone to do what they really wanted in the first place. Saying that no one would work is a fucking joke, people love to keep busy and a lot of people love to do stuff for free.
>>
>>8097013
This guy has a great point
>>
>>8097013
>protip: people who are the best at something are rarely really happy.

[citation needed]
>>
>>8097465
Embrace the apathy, anon. Do you not experience happiness when eating a hotpocket, or masturbating, or watching a anime? What more can you aspire to than happiness?
>>
Here is your answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQPCORZLgh4
>>
>>8097324
I really have to start qualifying my posts like that. Too many faggots on this board love jumping on tiny details, to which the response should be evident.
>>
>>8097485
With the attitude most people take toward leisurely pursuits today as a 'waste of life' today, which is difficult not to be caught up in, it is hard to imagine a world where sustainable happiness can be derived from the trivial intangibles, after the treadmill we've been on so long, running ever faster to stay in the same place.
Brain alterations to tolerate existence seems the most likely solution. A bleak future for 'us'.
>>
>>8097019

You should go to London; I have heard they have a nice scene there awaiting for fresh poet-meat
>>
>>8096948

bump
>>
>>8099114
I am in your own situation... dropped engineering because my father went to hospital and i had to care for him, having a shitty background to start with.
The best you can do to uplift yourself is reach happiness and read a lot, learn how to overcome a restrictive environment.
It is both a bane because well you aren't really advantaged by all this but also a boon because if you do get on the same level of those above you, you will have the experiance required to overcome their challenges and pull ahead to get what you want. Do not try to be the best, try to be the best of yourself and it is never too late although the sooner you start moving for yourself and by yourself the merrier.
>>
>>8099186
Also forgot to say, be relaxed and take yourself with regard because getting out of a rug in the best shape you will need to be in is not exactly easy, so before trying to be the best focus on regaining your shape.
>>
>>8097019

I see what you did there
>>
After 22 you will be judged "mentally ill".
You either have to contribute to the status quo or GTFO.
>>
File: Tfw.png (35KB, 200x170px) Image search: [Google]
Tfw.png
35KB, 200x170px
>>8096948
It was too late the second we were born.
>>
>>8099493
>TFW

Man...
At least we will see each other on the other side...
;-;
>>
>>8097301
Weirdly profound.
>>
>>8097383
that's what /b/ is for.
>>
>be me
>latino, poor background
>Brother went to prison for life
>sister crazy as fuck
>go to community college at 23 after doing nothing for years
>start off at the lowest remedial Math and English
>Fast forward to 27
>will be transferring to Cal Poly Pomona for computer engineering
>finished up majority of general education
>Only need Physics series
>will be taking Physics during the summer

Yes, it is too late for me, but at least I have progressed somewhat academically. I'm not in jail. I am also not a gang member or have any kids or gf/wife to keep me poor. As far as I am concerned, I am fine.
>>
>>8096948

Let me tell you something, no matter how old you are, you can still achieve what you want.

It doesn't matter how long it takes you, what matters is that you get there.

Some people cringe when they're in the same class as someone who's much older than them. I really find it inspiring when older people go back to school, do you know how much motivation it takes to do that?

Unless you're dying next week, it's never too late to get back in track and follow your dreams.

If you don't have a dream, you don't have nothing.
>>
>>8101412
This. I went to university when I was 29 because I found something I wanted to do. There were people on the course on their 40's.

You don't have to be the best, just the best you can be. Not trying to spawn shitty motivationals, just do whatever you want to do.
>>
>>8101388
replace latino with black and that's me at where you started. except i went to jail for stabbing my brother who attacked me(got it plead down to misdemeanors). Hope I can follow in your footsteps, senpai
>>
>>8097019
When you're 32 you'll wonder why you thought this and feel really old. Same again at 42 looking back at 32, and so on.
Forget about your age and live this year, month, day as if it were your last, because it might be and one day it will be
>>
>>8097019

A-are you Will?
>>
>>8097495
thats not a great point. the fuck?

most poeple are happy jacking off and playing video games all day every day while working at a shitty job.

they're happy as can be...

that guy had no point , he just quoted the "be yourself" meme.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.