[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the number N(n) of directed circle graphs with n

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

What's the number N(n) of directed circle graphs with n verties (a,b,c,d,...) and edges (f,g,h,...)?

For the first two, it's simple to check the number is two:

N(2) = 2

1) Either, say
f : a -> b
g : b -> a

2) or, say
g : a -> b

N(3)=2

1) The graph where all arrows go in one direction, say
h : c -> a
g : b -> c

2) The graph where one of the arrows point in another direction, say
h : c -> a
g : c -> b
so that both f and g point at b.
A short thinking makes clear that a graph where no two arrows point in the same direction isn't possible.

(Bonus: What I tried to find out, in algebra, is if there is a limit that has both pullback and equalizer as special case. I found pic related, which equals the equalizer if h is an isomorphism, but as far as I see there's no condition on h which makes this into the pullback)
>>
File: IMG_20160521_173102446_HDR.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160521_173102446_HDR.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Bump
>>
>>8089392
Isn't an equalizer already the special case of a pullback when the two arrows have the same source?

On that note, I have a somewhat stupid question (probably too obscure for /sqt/ though):
According to
https://qchu.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/monomorphisms-and-epimorphisms/
the natural map (m: d --> e in OP's example) is stated to always be a monomorphism, meaning that the pullback is a subobject of the product. Intuitively I can see why, but I can't seem to formally prove it from the definition of monomorphism.
In fact by using uniqeness of the universal map I get that mx = my for any two x,y. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>8091282
d is not the product here

this is what I know:
when 1 exists,
-the product of 2 objects is the pullback of their unique arrow towards 1
-given two arrows f, g, with same domain, codomain, the equalizer [f, 1_f] and [g, 1_f=1_g] is the pullback of f by g

-if the pullback of two arrows f, g exists, then if f is monic, then g*(f) is monic
this is false when you replace monic by epic

the kernel pair of an arrow f is the pullback of f by itself
-if the kernel pair of f exists, then the projection arrows are epic

f is monic
iff
-its kernel pair exists and it is (dom f, 1_f, 1_f)
iff
its kernel pair exists and the projections are equal
>>
>>8091282
>>8091365
Also
http://planetmath.org/relationbetweenpullbacksandothercategoricallimits
>>
Def
A locally-small category is finitely-complete — or cartesian or left exact or lex — when it is complete for any functor having it as codomain and a finite category as domain.

theorem
A locally-small category is complete if and only if every product of any collection of objects and every equalizer of any parallel arrows exist.

theorem
For any locally-small category, the following propositions are equivalent
1 it is finitely-complete
2 it has a terminal object, all equalizers and all biproducts
3 it has a terminal object and all pullbacks
>>
File: 1440840346167.png (137KB, 1037x687px) Image search: [Google]
1440840346167.png
137KB, 1037x687px
to prove that the fibred product FP is a subobject of the product P, you must prove that FP is an equivalence class of monic arrow with codomain P,

-you know that all pullbacks are equivalent
-now you must find a monic arrow FP >->P.

in sets, this is done in forgetting the equation f.f* = g.g*, so you just project (L, R) and this it.

in category theory, you just use the universality of the product, to get an arrow FP ->P, then I guess that you show it is monic by universality of the FP.
>>
>>8091417
and to show that it is monic, it is enough to show that it is a section
>>
>>8091282
>Isn't an equalizer already the special case of a pullback when the two arrows have the same source?

No. Here a counterexample (not due to me):

The equalizer of
! : 2 -> 1
is again 2, while the pullback is 2x2=4

In more detail:
Write 1={0} and 2={a,b} and consider ! as
f: {a,b} -> {0}
g: {a,b} -> {0}
The pullback, on the other hand is the set
{(a,a),(a,b),(b,a),(b,b)}
and the arrows out of it are left and right projection.
Only when you draw the diagram with h=id, you force one of the projections be replaced with the other, and then (a,a) <=> (a,b) and (b,a) <=> (b,b) each melt to one object.

ANYWAY, what about the combinatorical question? - it's mere graph theory.
>>
>>8091831
but what is your goal with this question?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.