[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you mentally imagine 4th and higher dimension functions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: descarga.jpg (26KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
descarga.jpg
26KB, 284x177px
How do you mentally imagine 4th and higher dimension functions? lt's freaking impossible
>>
>>8081064
I imagine it like a 2D space with 3 dimensions condensed into 1.
>>
>>8081064
Math exists by itself, but not outside of itself.
Applied math is just situations that are similar to math.

It helps if you don't think of math in lower dimensions as physically existing in some space.
It's hard to conceptualize below one axis, so picture a line for that.
With two axes, you have a line with varying properties.
With three axes you have a line with varying properties and those properties have varying properties.
With four axes you have a line with varying properties and those properties have varying properties which have varying properties.
With five axes you have a line with varying properties and those properties have varying properties which have varying properties which have varying properties.
... and so on.
>>
As a function with n dimension, i just think that the Y result depends on n things.
It doesnt have to be a thing visualizable per se.
>>
>>8081064
I try to make a 3D graph in my head first. I use a box cause it's easiest. Then on each vertex I add another 90 degree angle. It's kinda hard to explain and it only works when I focus for a long time. Have you read flatland?
>>
As a 3 dimensional space which depends on another variable. E.g. you can imagine your look in 3 dimensions and observe how it changes in time. If you wanted to pack 4th dimension into graph, I bet its impossible.
>>
>>8081064
Personally I like using colors.
>>
>>8081064
Time. You cannot imagine a 4rth spatial dimension
You can imagine various 3d representations of it, but not the 4rth dimension.
>>
>>8081176
shading for a fifth dimension
time for a sixth dimension
and then your pretty much shit out of luck
>>
I have no difficulty imagining higher dimensional functions. Visualizing them is the problem, and I don't even bother with that. What would be the point?
>>
>>8081064
>implying i need to
>>
>>8081064
Put on a jedi suit and use the fourth
>>
>>8081296
Smell is the seventh dimension.
>>
>>8081064
>this guy can't visualise a dimension higher than himself yet some dumb Square can
>>
if 4th dimension is time, 4D object is like a video
>>
>>8081285
>4rth
Hard to be on your side after that one.
>>
>>8081285
>4rth dimension
I can't trust anything after that.
>>
File: 1329595381014.jpg (3KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
1329595381014.jpg
3KB, 126x126px
>>8081387
The feeling of pooping a poop you don't have to wipe is the twelfth dimension then
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.