[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about the Flat Earth. Don't send me to /x/.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 270
Thread images: 36

File: Flat_earth.png (396KB, 543x543px) Image search: [Google]
Flat_earth.png
396KB, 543x543px
Let's talk about the Flat Earth. Don't send me to /x/.

I want to talk about the flaws with the theory and how to counter-argument them. Also for people who actually believe this theory that are now present on /sci/, tell me why you believe in this theory.
>>
1 ) Where are the edges of the earth and why has nobody documented them with photos and videos ?

2 ) How do you explain the day/night cycle if the earth isn't a globe ? (and no circuar hovering sun doesn't explain it)

3 ) Where is the source of gravity and how does it effect everyone as if it's a spherical force ?

I know flat earthers are just satire but these 3 questions are never ever answered. You gotta step your game up if you wanna adapt to modern day tinfoiling
>>
>>8072950

forget about that

assuming the earth is in fact flat how come south america, south africa and australia have the same constellations yet diferent from the ones that can be viewed from the "center"
>>
>>8072941
>Let's talk about the Flat Earth.
Let's not.
>>
>>8072950
>>8072996
Im more interested in this secret world-spanning community that has somehow kept the "flat-world" secret from the rest of us for...what is it now? 200 BC?
>>
Also, why is Earth the only flat object in the universe?
>>
>>8072941
>>>/x/
>>
>>8073425
Are pancakes not in our universe?
>>
>>8072941
>>>>/x/
>>
>>8073560
>He bumped this thread to post that.

I really want you faggots to die.
>>
>>8072941
bump
>>
>>8073425
Because reptilian Illuminati master Rothschild placed a fake moon above the earth to deceive us.
>>
>>8072941
>>8073562
>>>/x/
>>
>>8072941
>>8073435
>>8073560
>>8073562
>>8074121
>>>/x/
>>
Because its obviously true. Do you just choose to be this stupid. Science is all fabricated.
>>
File: 1461614612799s.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1461614612799s.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>Omnidirectional circumnavigation
>Triple right triangle experiment
>Phases of the moon, as well as eclipses
>Belt of venus
>Angular velocity of the sun
>Ships sinking below the horizon
>The fact that you can literally fucking see satellites and whatnot on a clear night with no light pollution, and a good set of binoculars.
These fuckers love playing the sheeple/shill card, and calling NASA a load of bull, but they can never provide reasons as to why it is wrong, other than the fact that it disagrees with their "theory"

I'm thoroughly convinced that a majority of them are just trolls, though there are some christian fundamentalists who love preaching about it.
>>
>>8074257
Proving too much fallacy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proving_too_much

try again
>>
>>8074264
How so?
>>
>>8074264
Did you read the article you linked? Or did you just read the title?
>>
>>8074257
>you can literally fucking see satellites
And vice versa

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/live-iss-stream
>>
>>8074303
inb4 "muh fisheye lense in a dive tank at secret nasa base"
>>
File: Intelligent Design.jpg (19KB, 320x323px) Image search: [Google]
Intelligent Design.jpg
19KB, 320x323px
>>8072941
A theory isn't just for explaining known phenomena. A good theory has to be able to make good predictions, or lead to other theories that make good predictions. Otherwise it's just a contraption of shallow made-ups that seems to connect with momental reality but collapse when the next thing come..
>>
>>8074333
is he gonna be ok?
>>
>>8072950
>Earth has Euclidian surface
You're just as dumb as the flat Earthers.
>>
>>8072950These fuckers don't believe in gravity, since they either don't understand it, or know that it disagrees with their pancake planet theory. They've come up with a few alternate explainations, all of which worse than the last. From density (things denser than air sink), electromagnetism (exactly what it sounds like), and an ascending disk, where the "planet" ascends upwards at 9.8 m/s, meaning that when you jump, you don't fall, but the disk rises to meet you.
>>
>>8074360
He died :(
>>
>>8072941
>the theory
>this theory
>this theory
Just what "theory" are you babbling about?
Some lunatic saying "Earth is flat" does not constitue anything like a theory.
>>
>>8074786
>and an ascending disk, where the "planet" ascends upwards at 9.8 m/s, meaning that when you jump, you don't fall, but the disk rises to meet you.
but the disc would have to acclerate at 9.8 m/s2, not move at a constant speed.
>>
>>8075051
Which is fucking stupid either way. That would mean all objects fall at the same rate regardless of air resistance. I'm pretty sure that would mean any sort of flight would be impossible as well.
>>
>>8075207
No. If the acceleration of an object is > 9.8 m/s/s, then flight is possible.
>>
>>8075211
Let me try to explain again. If we aren't traveling relative to earth (because relativity is a hoax) and the earth is traveling upwards and accelerating at 9.81m/s/s, then the plane or bird or whatever will have to be accelerating upwards faster than 9.81m/s/s, otherwise the earth will waffle stomp that muthafucker.
>>
>>8075269
That's what he said you nugget. But I get what you mean. They acceleration of the object would have to instantaneously be greater 9.81m/s^2 otherwise upward travel would be the fevered dream of a madman
>>
>>8075269
i dont think i quiet get your point
as far as i am aware, there is no difference between gravity pull and accleration

the bird/plane would simply ride the air that is pushed upwards by earth disc
>>
>>8075282
see >>8075276
I meant this, sorry im tired.
>>
>>8075301
but thats true in real life aswell.
If you wanna travel upwards, you damn sure have to acclearte faster than 9.81 m/s^2
>>
>>8075306
That's not true. If you suddenly started accelerating slightly faster than gravity in the opposite direction, you would slowly rise.
>>
>>8075309
and if you are on a disc that acclerates at 9.81, and you suddenly acclerate at t10, you would also rise.
>>
>>8075311
but birds don't accelerate at t10 and I'm pretty sure it'd be impossible for them to do so therefore they aren't flying in a disc earth system accelerating upwards at 9.81m/s^2
>>
>>8075320
they rest on the air that acclerates at 9.81, together with the earth disc. They only have to flap their wings slightly to acclearte with more than 9.81
>>
>>8075323
That's once they're in the air. They'd have to instantly take off faster than 9.81m/s^2
>>
>>8075329
they just jump
>>
>>8075332
But we're operating under the assumption they aren't travelling relative to the earth so that wouldn't work
>>
>>8072950
still, nobody can answer any of these ?
>>
>>8072941
>>>/x/
>>
>>8075363
No, since a majority of flat earthers are just trolls, and of the ~10% that are being serious, 95% of them are just religious fundamentalists masquerading as actual scientists.
>>
There is literally no evidence for it. It's an archaic myth that should have been left behind thousands of years ago.
>>
>>8074786
>where the "planet" ascends upwards at 9.8 m/s

I've always found this one of their more entertaining hypothesises. You can point out the obvious issue, that you would quite quickly hit the speed of light. They then retort with relativity, where as you accelerate time passes slower, allowing a constant acceleration. You can then point out that all evidence of time dilation relies on the assumption of a Round Earth, but they tend to go quiet after that.
>>
they can't even agree on how a "flat earth" works or looks
>>
https://youtu.be/FmExYliUDDM
https://youtu.be/2TAd8PA7H1g
I believe in it because these are fire
>>
Live on the coast, and watch a ship sail directly into the horizon, all the proof you need. The ship will appear to become shorter.
>>
>>8076770
Meaning what?
>>
>>8076770
The horizon alone can confirm the round earth.
>>
>>8076804
The boats are being hidden by the curvature of the planet as they sail out to sea. A lot of flat earthers claim that they only do that because they reach the limit of our vision, and appear to "sink"(same excuse they use for their magic sub btw), and that the effect can be eliminated by looking out to sea with a telescope or binoculars, but, as always, they're just bullshitting.
>>
>>8073566
fuckin kek
>>
>>8074786
thats dumb cause u can feel your blood pressure drop
>>
>>8072941
You would be able to see boats from the beach for miles without end if it were flat. Because of the Earth being round, at a certain point the boat or better yet ship will not be seen as of actual observation right now. All we'll see is water.
>>
>>8077053
Bullshit. We can see stars for crying out load and even so, night is still an option for use of some scope to enhance vision.
>>
>>8072950
>Where are the edges of the earth and why has nobody documented them with photos and videos
the edges can't be approached by boats or planes because the gravity decreases drastically the closer you get and no body of land has formed that far out, NASA hasn't taken pictures of it to keep people believing in the 'round earth' idea

>How do you explain the day/night cycle if the earth isn't a globe ? (and no circular hovering sun doesn't explain it)
obviously there are two suns on opposite sides, and they orbit very close to the earth so they only shine on one section at a time

>Where is the source of gravity and how does it affect everyone as if it's a spherical force?
since the earth is flat the gravity is almost uniformly distributed until one begins approaching the edge, but of course you can't get close enough to feel the difference
>>
>>8077123
All I see is a ton of assumptions and pseduo science
>>
1.) You can place 2 marked poles 20 miles apart and count how many markings you can see. Less markings = higher curvature.

2.) You can see when boats sail over the horizon.

3.) Moon is round. Sun is round. Stars are round. Other planets are round.

4.) Matter is space would only collect in a 3D form, not a 2D form; 2D planet formation wouldn't make any sense.

5.) Photos

6.) Satellites

7.) Airplanes

8.) You can travel around the world in every conceivable direction perpendicular to the ground.

9.) Where is the edge?

10.) Muh conspiracy = No evidence to support a counter claim.
>>
File: 4dSphere01.gif (1MB, 285x257px) Image search: [Google]
4dSphere01.gif
1MB, 285x257px
>no, earth is a circle
>no, earth is a globe
>no, earth is a circle
>no, earth is a globe

What if earth was a glome? A 4-D sphere.
>>
>>8077136
1. caused by uneven terrain
2. caused by differences in water height
3. same flat side of moon is always facing us, sun and stars is too small to tell if also flat
4. affirming the consequent -> matter could form flatly with no difference
5. lies
6. lies
7. lies
8. affirming the consequent -> could be travelling flatly with no difference
9. at the edge
10. religiously believes majority opinion -> conspiracy is an opinion that is not held by the majority
>>
>>8077163
>1. caused by uneven terrain
You can test it on even terrain

>2. caused by differences in water height
How would that make sense?

>3. same flat side of moon is always facing us, sun and stars is too small to tell if also flat
Granted, but what about the other planets?

>4. affirming the consequent -> matter could form flatly with no difference
Yes there is. In 3D space, items in zero gravity collect from all angles.

>5. lies
Denialism

>6. lies
Denialism

>7. lies
Denialism

>8. affirming the consequent -> could be travelling flatly with no difference
You would run into the edge

>9. at the edge
Again: Where

>10. religiously believes majority opinion -> conspiracy is an opinion that is not held by the majority
That's not English, try again please.
>>
>>8077163
>1. caused by uneven terrain
No, you can just find a even stretch of land and get the same result

>2
Why would water have a "height difference" on a flat Earth?

And there's still no edge.
>>
File: troll28.jpg (39KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
troll28.jpg
39KB, 500x447px
>>8077130
>>
I contest.
I am not a flat earth conspiracist. However.

IF - so being theoretical, no un ideological facts are relative - the world was found to be relatively flat on the surface.

the answer would simply change to. ALL science factually supports this being true. And the information was construed, misinterpreted and via propaganda spread.
The fact is, YOU cannot say that science defies it, or that it defies logic. Because of it turned to be real, then You would say, OH. And realizing that that is the truth forces you to acknowledge how much you know is actually 100% an fact and that you are not deluded.

THAT IS
Flat Earth Society.
they laugh at the bigots of earth.

hate for atheists. hate for womanizers. hate for sluts who enable womanizers.
atheism glorifies the perspectives of corrupt politicians, lazy boyfriends, bigots and morons subliminally, passively and Actively.
all scriptures refer to atheists as the walking dead Secular
Apocalypse=zombie apocalypse.
tyrannical, raiding, perverted, cannibal herpes bigotry**
>>
the point is. You say, "what about this or that." and the answer is. They simply lied about the mechanics.
varying mechanics explain it "logically" ~~ is the thesis

you can't argue about how unaware you actually can be.
>>
>>8077329
Lied about what mechanics?
>>
>>8072941
Mountains aren't flat
>>
File: d5c.jpg (36KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
d5c.jpg
36KB, 625x626px
>>8077163
>>
File: 1414474485862.gif (583KB, 262x200px) Image search: [Google]
1414474485862.gif
583KB, 262x200px
>>8077160
>>
>>8077160
Sure we've photographed the Earth from space but from the side a 4d sphere would appear to be a normal sphere. Has anyone ever published a photo of the Earth poles from outer space? You can't deny that's a little strange. A little conspiracyish.
>>
File: fb_img_1450510281245.jpg (146KB, 1344x960px) Image search: [Google]
fb_img_1450510281245.jpg
146KB, 1344x960px
>>8078316
It's well known that there isn't any satellite far enough from earth to get a full picture of the planet. All the images we have are composites, which are just multiple images take from multiple angles, and stitched into a single picture. Iirc, there are a handful of full body images of the earth, but only of one side.

These flat earth nutters love pointing thsi fact out, as if it's news or something. They completely disregard all the low orbit images and footage we have of the planet

>pic related. Not a flat earther, just giving an example of multiple composites that exist of the planet.
>>
>>8077341
Flat earthers say its all a lie.

Point out some fact that could only be true if the world was round, and they'll say it's just a Jew/reptilian/Illuminati conspiracy
>>
>>8078744
I think the DSCOVR takes full-earth photos.
The EPIC(love the acronyms they use) has a FOV of 0.61 and the earths diameter is between 0.45 and 0.53.
Now, all of those numbers comes from NASA and NOAA, so if someone for some reason find them very un-trustworthy(cant really understand why one would do that, desu) then there isn't really that much you could to to convince them otherwise
TL,DR: Crazy gonna cray
>>
File: This.1[1].jpg (11KB, 200x202px) Image search: [Google]
This.1[1].jpg
11KB, 200x202px
>>8072950
Someone please answer this already
>>
>>8078918
colonist lies
>>
>>8078918
>if someone for some reason find them very un-trustworthy(cant really understand why one would do that, desu)

The only reason why they disregard NASA is because they provide direct proof that the planet is round, so it must be vilified at all cost. I have yet to see them give a viable explaination as to why NASA is fake. Hell, they can't even explain the satellites you can see from the ground.
>>
>>8078934
The sky is just a painting, made by God.

>The only reason why they disregard NASA is because they provide direct proof that the planet is round, so it must be vilified at all cost. I have yet to see them give a viable explaination as to why NASA is fake. Hell, they can't even explain the satellites you can see from the ground.
I have actually had a discussion with someone who was all into the whole "NASA-NEVER A STRAIGHT ANSWER!!/ALWAYS LIES"-idea, yet he could not point out a single example of them actually being caught lying. As in "Yeah, we faked that probe" or "heh, no space station, sorry". And the funny thing was, that the bigger lack of evidence of lies he had, the more certain he was that there was some kind of conspiracy going on. That was the point where I gave up
>>
>>8078983
but you can see whats above the sky when you fly with an airplane :\
>>
>>8078989
The airplanes are lies, anon. And all the people who make them are part of it. And the people who fly them. And all the passengers too. Have you ever flown in a plane? Or looked at the sky and seen a plane fly over? NO YOU HAVEN'T! STOP LYING, ANON!
>>
>>8077123
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2054284/Amazing-video-Earth-spinning-taken-International-Space-Station.html

tard
>>
>>8079025
> dailymail
i mean i'm not a flat earth troll or anything but if you wanna prove a point, never ever cite dailymail.
>>
The easiest way to disprove flat earth bullshit is the fact that if you go in any direction long enough, you end up back where you started.
>>
>>8079042
kek
>>
>>8079044
Now that I think about it, circumnavigation on a disk would require you to make constant adjustments to your course, as you are sailing on the equator, which is a big circle on the flat earth map, rather than a straight line as it really is. Plus, you'd only be able to circumnavigate east to west, or vice versa.

Have there ever been any North to south circumnavigations? If so, that pretty much demolishes the while theory
>>
>>8079044
Nobody has ever done that tho
>>
File: 1463090827725.jpg (1MB, 5616x3744px) Image search: [Google]
1463090827725.jpg
1MB, 5616x3744px
>>8079068
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_circumnavigations
>>
>>8079057
Sad thing is, if anyone did(or have done, i dunno) that, and documented it, you could bet your ass that Flatties would come up with some weird ass theory as to why.
>Wormholes
>dark matter-storm
>wizardry
>the gentle space-turtle somehow sending them back

and ofc
>they were all part of the world-wide secret conspiracy and all the documentation is fabricated by lizards and Illuminati
>>
>>8079091
They wouldn't need a weird theory, they'd just say it was an atheist jew lie. Like they always do.
>>
File: fae.jpg (23KB, 458x418px) Image search: [Google]
fae.jpg
23KB, 458x418px
>>8079091
The more and more I learn about this "theory" and its legitimate supporters, the more I support the idea of systematic genocide of anyone with an IQ lower than 80.
>>
File: 1460153187665s.jpg (3KB, 125x98px) Image search: [Google]
1460153187665s.jpg
3KB, 125x98px
>>8077320
I don't even know what this is trying to say.
>>
>>8072950

Antartica is the edge.
I don't know but I saw a video explaining it if you want the link
>beleiving in meme physics such as """"""gravity"""""""

I'm not even a flat earther but gravity is a jewish myth, it's electro magnetism
>>
But that's a mutation you fucking retard.

That or it had an accident.
>>
>>8073435
>>8075564
NO DON'T SEND THEM TO US
>>
>>8077320
It's like I came here to escape this shit but it always finds me
>>
File: 1463195990536.png (428KB, 543x543px) Image search: [Google]
1463195990536.png
428KB, 543x543px
>>8079044
>>
>>8081157
Yeah that makes zero sense. He said straight.
>>
>>8081167

>you'd actually know if you were going 100% straight over that distance

my guy
>>
>>8081170
Point boat or plane in one direction, don't change it.
>>
>>8081170

>crash into antartica
>get lost in antartica
>change course
>blame your equipment/ vehicle
>>
>>8081157
>he actually defends flat earth "theory"
>>
>>8081179

meant for >>8081174
>>
>>8081179
How would you crash into Antartica? Just don't sail towards the south pole.
>>
>>8081180

>she's a good goy
>>
>>8081186
This is not a response.
>>
>>8081185

aka change direction
>>
>>8081188
Or you pick a direction to start with that won't send you into the south pole.
>>
File: 1446999369819.png (18KB, 626x551px) Image search: [Google]
1446999369819.png
18KB, 626x551px
>>8081187

but >>8081180

is?

FLAT LINE, FLAT LINE
There's no superior blood line
>>
>>8081192

You'd just miss your mark and land somewhere else, you'd have to change direction to get to where you wanted to go.

Obviously you can get places in a straight line, but to actually circum navigate the earth at the equator you need to change direction.
>>
>>8079044
Or just look at the blatant curve visible on the Earth.
>>
>they're taking the bait

Is this Irony?
>>
>>8081201

I can't see any curve....

What I can see is buildings paralell to me a hundred miles away
>>
>>8081206
gotta leave the basement for that
>>
>>8081209

Looking outside my window right now
>>
Basic, obvious reasons against the flat earth:

>Gravity wouldn't allow a disc world, it would collapse
>Planetary formation wouldn't result in a disk world, there is no force to create a shape like that during the formation
>The sun setting in one part of the world and rising in another makes no sense on a flat world, as it would have to sink below the skyline of the entire world at once
>Orbit of the flat world wouldn't make much sense, it would probably be facing the sun at all times instead
>Seasons only exist because of the unstable rotation of the Earth on its axis
>The horizon is easily seen, particularly at sea
>Phenomena like earthquakes and volcanos are a result of the round earth and its composition, wouldn't happen on a flat earth
>The round earth can be measured by the curvature, this was done in Ancient Greece
>There are many videos and pictures showing the round earth and the curvature.

Case closed...
>>
>>8081212
Get a little higher.
>>
>>8081213

>gravity
meme physics
>planet""""s""""
The sun isn't that far
I don't have an explanation for this
The horizon being seen is evidence for the flat earth
Again with your made up psuedo Georgraphy
>there are many videos and pictures showing the round earth
Literally no...
>>
>>8081213

oh yeah Ancient Greece

like they knew anything...

There's a reason they collapsed and I'm here owning /sci/ single handedly
>>
>>8081236
bait
>>
>>8081236
>The horizon being seen is evidence for the flat earth
So... If the Earth was round, we wouldn't see the horizon? What would we see?
>>
>>8081241
You'd see a big picture of a cartoon fish with a hook.
>>
>>8081241

The horizon wouldn't be flat for one.
You wouldn't be able to see buildings pointed straight up at 100km away.
>>
>>8081244
>You'd see a big picture of a cartoon fish with a hook.
wheredoyouthinkweare.jpg

>>8081246
>The horizon wouldn't be flat for one.
How do you know it's flat? Did you measure it? What tools did you use?
>>
>>8081254

My eyes...
>>
File: tumblr_nk90j4iRiY1qc8949o1_1280.jpg (31KB, 544x400px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nk90j4iRiY1qc8949o1_1280.jpg
31KB, 544x400px
>>8081246
Prove that you can see buildings hundreds of kilometers away. Take a picture of what you see out your window, and tell us what city it is you're seeing, as well as where you currently are.
>>
>>8081331

It's pitch black now, I'm in Europe...

Also >>8078316

If this picture was """"""real""""""" at all, then why do """"""""scientists""""""" claim the earth is an oblate spheroid like a """""""pear"""""" but then we get these pictures that are perfectly circular?
>>
>>8081351
I can't tell if you're b8 or not, so I suppose I'll carry on.

Since you can't prove your claim of seeing a city from 100 km away, I'm dismissing it altogether.

Earth's Circumference at the Equator: 24,901.55 miles
Earth's Circumference Between the North and South Poles: 24,859.82 miles

A difference of only ~42 miles, caused by the centrifugal force of earth rotating. Nowhere near enough to cause a major difference in appearance.

Also, refer to >>8078744 for the explaination of the earth photos.
>>
>>8081157
If you were to sail in a straight line on a flat earth, you'd eventually crash into the "antarctic wall." In order to circumnavigate a flat planet, you would have to make constant turns towards the north in order to stay on the equator. You'd just be going in a big circle, rather than a straight line.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-18-08-18-17.png (464KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-18-08-18-17.png
464KB, 1080x1920px
>>8072941
How can you argue with people like these?
>>
>>8082425
dont

just dont waste your time
>>
>>8082447
Thats exactly what an agent from the evil Flat-Earth CERN Jewish Company would have me do....
>>
File: hqdefault[3].jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[3].jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>8082451
Jews are against CERN because they think scientists are worshipping Shiva and CERN is built to open portals into satanic dimensions to destroy the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4DQKDWK4I0
>>
>>8082500
Then why does >>8082425 blame both CERN and the Jews? (yes, I had to check out that profile. The level of bat-shit cray just gets deeper, btw)
>>
>>8082508
coz hes christian ? dunno
>>
>>8082515
Or crazy. Might be the crazy doing it
>>
File: Tom Longarms.jpg (81KB, 419x480px) Image search: [Google]
Tom Longarms.jpg
81KB, 419x480px
>>8082500
YFW you realize crazy shit like this is delivered from the pulpits of small churches in the US every sunday morning.

every

sunday

morning

...millions of churches..

millions
>>
>>8072941
>If the earth is flat why do i see the top of a ship coming around the horizon first?
Litteraly no flat earthers can answer this.
>>
>>8082500
>Doesnt understand the science behind the hadron collider
Its a portal to the god. Im convinced.
>>
The earth is most likely flat
>>
..should have sent OP to /x/.
>>
You can't argue with schizophrenics.
>>>/x/
>>
File: confirmation confirmed.jpg (383KB, 612x810px) Image search: [Google]
confirmation confirmed.jpg
383KB, 612x810px
>>8082500
I don't like CERN either though. They are incompetent bitch ass cucks who can't even deliver a tiny bit of dimensional portal to bring monsters from the realms of torment and suffering. They had to postpone their experiment for months just because of a little squirrel >:O
>>
>>8082568
That's not really how churches work, but this isn't the thread for that.
>>
>>8082574

Perspective. Parallel lines converging at the horizon give the illusion of a change in elevation.
>>
why are the hot on the equator
>>
>>8081448

I know, my point is you have to change direction and sailors and pilots do this
>>
>>8082574

>why do """I""" see the top of a ship coming around the horizon first

Liar.
>>
What does flat mean in this context? Is a torus flat?
>>
>>8082574
it's easy gravity bends light
>>
>>8082835
Too bad gravity is a conspiracy made up by round earthers.
>>
File: 1463344627594s.jpg (2KB, 124x125px) Image search: [Google]
1463344627594s.jpg
2KB, 124x125px
>>8082786
Got a source for that?
>>
>>8082607
If that were the case, then you'd literally just have to pull ott a pair of binoculars to see a ship again once or passes the horizon, but that isn't the case at all.
>>
>>8081202
No, it's like pottery.
>>
>>8074786
>ascending disk, where the "planet" ascends upwards at 9.8 m/s, meaning that when you jump, you don't fall, but the disk rises to meet you.
I'm sorry but whoever came up with this is a legendary troll.

I literally cannot stop laughing.
>>
>>8072941
if you want to know more of the flat earth watch this video it will blow your mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM856oPut4Q
>>
>>8082989
Unsurprisingly, the modern flat earth society was created as a joke, but they ended up attracting actual idiots (most of which were creationists) who believed this shit.

Now that the project has been more or less abandoned, we're stuck with crippled society made up of a bunch of trolls and windowlickers. The trolls make up a bunch of bullshit that explains the flat earth, and the windowlickers accept it and spread the nonsense.

I mean, have you seen that book "200 proofs that the earth is not a spinning ball" by Eric Dubay? The book is full of shit that sounds scientific, but is all pretty much all made up, but the flat earthers don't know any better.
>>
>>8082998
>it will blow your mind

It really does. It blows my mind that any human with a funtioning brain can actually believe this flat earth bullshit. The whole "theory" is based off of speculation and religion. All of the claims can be debunked with the most basic math, science, and observation.
>>
>>80830 i study astronomy for a very long time and when my brother show my this i was in shock, i did not realize how the sun is, if you look the sun. and the moon, they all ways rotate the in the same way never move out of it spot, but if the earth do rotate around the sun. the sun will be at the side not the top in addition. the night and day will be fast.
>>
>>8083037
Mind repeating that in english?
>>
>>8083059
i was saying that, if you look at the sun it move from east to west. right However, if the earth was round, the sun will me at the side not on the top. also we would have day, if the earth rotate plus the earth rotate around the sun would you think so.
>>
File: 1459297454919s.jpg (9KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
1459297454919s.jpg
9KB, 250x187px
>>8083062
The sun rises in the east and sets to the west because the earth is rotaing on an axis every 24 hours. If the sun orbited over a flat planet, then the sun would rise in the north-east, be directly overhead at noon, and would set in the north-west. Therefore,the earth isn't flat. Simple as that.
>>
>>8083037
>>8083062
Stop watching youtube and invest in a new keyboard.
>>
File: 20160518_094744.png (366KB, 1061x1064px) Image search: [Google]
20160518_094744.png
366KB, 1061x1064px
>>8083062
>>8083071
>>
>>8083071
to be honest i don't really know if the earth is flat or round, NASA = never a straight answer. therefore the only way we can really know if the earth is flat or round if a group of people. went to Antarctica cross it to the other side. That will prove that the earth is round, but no one across Antarctica yet why is that. and another thing is, tie a camera to a balloon wan see what happen curiosity kill the cat right.
>>
>>8083083
Please please please ble trolling....
>>
File: WavePropagation.jpg (3MB, 2354x1255px) Image search: [Google]
WavePropagation.jpg
3MB, 2354x1255px
Seismology

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seismology

Seismology
>>
>>8083007
But why any of you fellow /sci/encemen spend any fraction of your life whatsoever debating cognitively dissonant individuals is beyond me.

You won't gain anything. You won't convince anyone. It will be a waste of time. It's almost equal cognitive dissonance on your part thinking that logic and reason mean anything to these people. Even thinking that the beliefs and opinions of sheep matter at all is deluded.
>>
>>8083092
i am not trolling i am be in real the only we know if we go they and look for our self i don't trust the gov
>>
File: f63.png (491KB, 442x600px) Image search: [Google]
f63.png
491KB, 442x600px
>>8083083
>NASA = never a straight answer

You people say this all the time, and yet, you can't give us a single reason why/how NASA is lying. You claim the moon landings are fake, but can't prove it. You claim the ISS is fake, but can't prove it. You claim that all the data presented by NASA is fabricated, but can't prove it.

And as for the camera experiments, whenever we provide evidence, you fuckers just push it aside because "muh fisheye lense"

Lastly, you do know that there is antarctic tourism, right? Literally anyone can go to antarctica whenever they want.
>>
>>8083105
I'm aware that were not going to convince any of the actual flatties, but at the very least, we can stop the spread of this bullshit by pulling those who are on the fence back to the side of logic.
>>
>>8083110
i am not saying it is fake, like a scientist i can prove it unless i have good evident of it. that way i say someone should go across Antarctica survive and prove that the earth is not flat that what i am saying. and if that is true meaning that we did go to the moon.
>>
>>8083123
>>8083108
>>8083083
Holy shit its as if a Youtube-comment became sentient.
>>
>>8083130
i study astronomy irl if you are asking.
>>
>>8083123
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Antarctic_expeditions

There. A whole list of antarctic expeditions. Convinced yet?
>>
File: bullshit-detector.jpg (30KB, 500x284px) Image search: [Google]
bullshit-detector.jpg
30KB, 500x284px
>>8083132
>>
>>8083136
well the only thing i say is this, year 2020 when NASA family going mars we see if it is fake or not until them i'll keep it that the earth is round for now.
>>
>>8083151
year 2020 when NASA family going mars we see if it is fake or not

How would that conclude anything beyond what we currently have?
>>
>>8083160
also, wouldn't they simply deny that they left earth? They vehemently deny landing on the moon or staying in orbit, why wouldn't they simply say that the rover was faked and they lied about all of that?

Problem here is that nothing will convince them:
>Photos
Obviously faked
>Videos
same
>Other people who went to the south pole
In the conspiracy or simply deceived
>Scientific evidence
"lol, dont you know that's all the joos/illerminouty/lizards/[other stupid stuff]"

the only way to convince they would be to physically bring each of them there, and even then they will just proclaim that they aren't at the edge and instead in some very well made fake Antarctica
>>
>>8083132
In the same way that Ken Hamm studies biology and geology?
>>
File: c58.jpg (4KB, 200x147px) Image search: [Google]
c58.jpg
4KB, 200x147px
>>8082425
Where did mankind go wrong? What could have possibly lead to shit like this existing?
>>
>>8083593
I guess these kinds of people have existed since the dawn of time, but it's only now that they:
>can spread their opinions far enough
>can do so cheaply
and
>have large amounts of very gullible followers
>>
>>8072941
I always thought that the best way to argue against it was ship and plane route times. There's no way that they can make that consistent with appealing to conspiracy, and I hope that someone serious could see the problems of such a ridiculously big conspiracy.
>>
>>8084737
Does /sci/ have the knowledge to run some times and then raid the FES forums with them?
>>
>>8083062
What about the midnight sun
>>
>>8072941
If we live in a virtual simulation, does it really matter.
>>
>>8084737
>There's no way that they can make that consistent *WITHOUT* appealing to conspiracy
Fixed
>>
>>8072941
>I want to talk about the flaws with the theory

The flaw is that it's false. It doesn't describe reality.

>how to counter-argument them

You don't counter-argument them.

PSA to everyone on this thread: the Flat Earth Society is a bunch of scientific skeptics. They know that the Earth is not flat. The 'Society' is a masturbatory social group where they try and come up with convincing reasons to say that the world is flat. That's literally all.
>>
>>8084759
>The 'Society' is a masturbatory social group where they try and come up with convincing reasons to say that the world is flat. That's literally all.

Indeed.
>>
>>8084755
All lies, according to them. Anything that disagrees with their "theory" is automatically a government rouse.
>>
Devil's advocate reporting in.
>>8081213
>Planetary formation wouldn't result in a disk world, there is no force to create a shape like that during the formation
How about rotational energy; spiral galaxies are disk-like in appearance.
Why are they not balls like Earth is claimed to be?

>The horizon is easily seen, particularly at sea
Setting sail from Amager (Denmark), one can occasionally see Turning Torso, a very characteristic 190m tall building located approx. 23 kilometers away - I have personally experienced this only once.
It follows that if one cannot consistently see this far, then there's a possibility that weather conditions cannot allow observation of the alleged horizon.
What appears as a horizon is simply a phenomenon borne of atmospheric distortion.

>Phenomena like earthquakes and volcanos are a result of the round earth and its composition, wouldn't happen on a flat earth
Can we rule out the possibility that a flat Earth would have geological processes similar to a round Earth?
Alternatively, is it unthinkable that the phenomena could be explained by different mechanisms in a flat Earth scenario?
>>
>>8085197
The earth is slightly disc shaped. Sure to rotational momentum. Compared to the galaxy though, it has much more densely packed mass, so gravity keeps it together in a ball shape while the galaxy is spun out thin.
>>
>>8085197
>It follows that if one cannot consistently see this far, then there's a possibility that weather conditions cannot allow observation of the alleged horizon.
See, this is why the whole flat Earth thing is a modern phenomena. Back in the day of large sailing ships and telescopes, nobody questioned this, because ships would be seen going over the horizon all the time, so only their mast was visible.

Now people are so glued to their TVs and phones they have no sense of a world out there. Almost poetic, being the screens are flat and that is how they view the world to be.
>>
>>8085202
For the sake of this thought experiment, let's assume that ball-Earth has been squashed flat and turned into a disk - the two poles have been mashed together.
How long would it take before gravity has reverted this deformation, and ball-Earth resembles its original shape?
Depending on the time scale we're looking at, it would lend credence to the idea that a flat Earth could exist and appear relatively stable - even if it would eventually adopt a sphereoid shape.
>>
>>8085217
What would squash it to begin with?
>>
>>8085217
thing is:
>why is it squashed in the first place?
>when did this happen?
>why are all continents on one side? if it was squashed flat, why don't we have two sides, one with Eurasia and north America, one with Africa, south America, south Asia and Australia?
>if it is squashed flat, couldn't we find an obvious edge where we could see the ground falling off to both sides?
>how would we get from one side to the other?
etc.

remember, to turn the spheroid earth into their flat earth, as seen in the OP pic, you would have to hollow it out, make a hole in Antarctica and stretch it while pressing on the arctic pole
>>
>>8085197
>It follows that if one cannot consistently see this far, then there's a possibility that weather conditions cannot allow observation of the alleged horizon.
This is backwards logic. You can observe what the weather is like at any given time. If there's a lot of moisture in the air and you don't see the horizon, that doesn't tell you the horizon is just an illusion caused by lack of moisture. Moisture effects optics, lack of moisture does not.
>>
>>8085233
>>8085234
>how/why was it squashed
A space-giant came along and squashed it with his giant space-giant hands, because he wanted to see how long it would take for natural processes to revert the deformation.
Are you unfamiliar with thought experiments?
>>
>>8085244
but then, when did this happen?
where did he press?
did he use a space giant spoon, or a space giant shovel?

remember anon, saying "thought experiment" doesn't relieve you from following the consequences
and again, the earth that would result from that is not the earth that the flat earthers say exists
>>
>>8073422

Proffesors love shitting on each other. There can be no conspiracy because of the petty nature and egos of members of the scientific community.

I would sacrifice my entire department for not having to go through grant begging regularly.
>>
>>8075344
Why not? You can easily jump in an accelerating elevator
>>
File: 1463599522364.jpg (177KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1463599522364.jpg
177KB, 500x375px
A flat Earther asked me "How does gravity hold all of the weight oceans down but birds can still fly freely?"

It stumped me for a minute, but I came up with:
The Earth's gravity pulls on everything equally. However, it's the only force acting on matter. Meaning there is no other force trying to pull the oceans away from Earth, therefore there's only one direction the water will want to go. Down.
>>
>>8077123

w8
>the edges can't be approached by boats or planes because the gravity decreases drastically the closer you get
>you can't get close enough to feel the difference

Are you even trying
>>
>>8072941
this shit's stupid, you're stupid for posting this, and any stupid motherfucker stupid enough to believe this fucking absolutely retarded bullshit should seriously contemplate offing themselves, seriously off yourselves you fucking idiots. the world's gene pool doesnt need to be contaminated any further.
>>
>>8086813
>...but birds can still fly freely?"
nice side stepping of the issue
>>
>>8087020
Wait.... Isn't gravity weaker the higher you go? That's why birds fly freely...
>>
>>8087020
>>8087056
Just in case you aren't joking, birds can fly because they use their wings to push air downwards, which in turn lifts them up.

The ocean can't fly because it doesn't have wings.
>>
the earth isn't flat. It's concave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCeclDRhzPA
>>
File: C9qa9ef.jpg (41KB, 618x509px) Image search: [Google]
C9qa9ef.jpg
41KB, 618x509px
>>8087223
Then explain this!
Trapezoid Earth confirmed, Square-Earth fagshills BTFO
>>
>>8087226
08:50
They hate on Krauss for stating scientific facts, and then slow down his words about a diety not being needed for the universe to come into being in order to make it seem like a terrible statement.
>Religious extremists trying to twist things to go against known science confirmed
>>
counter-arguments and flaws do not matter
people who believe such things, who believe in conspiracy theories will never listen to facts
>>
File: m.jpg (250KB, 1200x798px) Image search: [Google]
m.jpg
250KB, 1200x798px
>flat earth
>flat
earth have mountains, therefore it is not flat

flat earthers btfo, how will they recover from this?
>>
These people are some of the biggest retards I've ever talked to. I really do believe 90% of them are trolling.
>Earth is flat
>It's impossible for gravity to exist
>Why don't we feel the Earth spinning?
>the sun is only 3,000 miles away
>it's impossible for large bodies of water to curve
>Space is an illusion
>the moon produces cold light which causes tidal change
>some of them think the moon doesn't exist
>planets don't exist
>we live under a dome
>Nasa is part of the illuminati
>>
File: flatearthlogic.jpg (26KB, 480x350px) Image search: [Google]
flatearthlogic.jpg
26KB, 480x350px
One of them actually sent this ti me.
>>
>>8074370
>what is a manifold
Hi there math freshman.
>>
>>8088254

>earth is flat
we can see this with our eyes
>it's impossible for gravity to exist
it isn't impossible for such a force to exist, it just doesn't, things fall because of DENSITY, it's a made up force
>why don't we feel the earth spinning?
yes why don't we? >muh car analogy - the car is moving at a constant speed with all the windows up, if the windows open you feel the speed and if it stops you feel it too, but how the fuck don't people feel the difference in speed on the equator and a mile north or south? it would be so ridiculously different if it was a spinning globe
>it's impossible for large bodies of water to curve
It is
>Space is an illusion
It is
>The moon produces cold light which causes tidal change
The moon does produce cold light, i've never heard of the latter
>Some of them think the moon doesn't exist
nope, we can see it with our two eyes, like we can see the earth is flat too
>Planets don't exist
They don't
>We live under a dome
Yes
>Nasa is part of the illuminati
Yes, many of them are known to the public as masons, they don't even hide it
(I don't know if they call them selves the illuminati) but they are part of the cabal
>>
>>8088274

because of your magical gravity that hasn't been proven to exist I'm guessing?

If everything is reletive and we can't detect movement who the fuck decided we were moving at those speeds?
>>
>>8089013
We've detected gravity in the lab between objects that fit in the lab. Please try again.
>>
>>8077160
A glome is a 3D sphere.
>>
>>8089084
Which is generally embedded in 4d, it's not hard to understand why someone who hasn't learned this would be confused.
>>
>>8072950

dumb CIA nigger cattle
>>
>>8082568
This particular brand is pretty much contained within the U.S.
Must be something in your water.
>>
How do they explain the earth's magnetic field?
Especially when we have proof of it in the aurora borealis, the aurora australis, and compasses.

Show me a natural magnet with one pole in the centre and the other distributed around the edge and I'll eat a bag of dicks.
>>
>>8089291
Good one!
>>
>>8089011
You dont feel speed you retard.
>>
>>8087056
Holy shit no.
>>
>>8072941
>>>/x/
>>
>>8089291
I'm pretty sure one of these fuckers will just say SEE, THE EARTH IS A MAGNETIC MONOPOLE, THAT RIGHT THERE IS PROOF THAT ALL YOUR PHYSICS IS WRONG.
>>
>>8087056
How the fuck do you think they get back off the ground after touching down?
>>
>>8086897
yeah by the time you're far enough to feel the difference you'll float away and fall off the edge
>>
>>8077163
>water height
lol what even is that
>>
>>8072941
>being so dumb you need /sci/s help debating a flat earther
>wasting energy debating a flat earther at all
End ur life fa[math] [/math]m
>>
File: images (6).jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (6).jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>8089013
https://www.ligo.caltech.edu/news/ligo20160211
>>
>>8091125
>by the time you're far enough to feel the difference you'll float away and fall off the edge
????????
>>
Airy's Failure proves that the earth is stationary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBz-GFUsjzA
>>
>>8093841
kek
>>
>>8087735
That mountain is made out of flat things. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>8077136
>5.) Photos
>6.) Satellites
>7.) Airplanes
Anyone who really think its important to know if the earth is round can rig a very simple mechanism to test it, just tape a camera to a big helium balloon, it will rise to the edge of space and show you earths curvature, what bullshit will you say then?
>>
>>8093841
What the shit is this?
>>
>>8093451
>????????
!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>8089291
https://youtu.be/a9M3LoWe5dY?t=9m25s

Post it on xtube please.
>>
For anyone actually interested in what we thing instead of just masturbating over what they think is their superiority to us https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lchtwf5Fvhc
>>
>>8093878
flat thing is 2D
every "flat" thing you can present to me has height (might be very small, but nonzero)
>>
>>8096190
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lchtwf5Fvhc
>I can't be bothered doing the slightest research into any of the claims I'm about to make, but please be open minded about them.
This isn't even funny anymore. It's just pathetic.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2q6y_e1kyY
>>
>>8096923
Cool
>>
>>8096923
nice fisheye curvature.
>>
>>8091101
How did it take this long?
This should have been the first reply
>>
>>8079104
>atheist jew
that's a bit of a contradiction, no?
>>
>>8081213
>The sun setting in one part of the world and rising in another makes no sense on a flat world, as it would have to sink below the skyline of the entire world at once
obviously lies anyone who says they live in a different """""timezone""""" is obviously lying and a CIA Nigger.
>>
>>8089165
>>8096967
Hi Terry!
>>
Flat Earth isn't a theory. It doesn't have any way to explain why earth would be flat, except that we might assume it is flat if we look at a map, which is usually flat, or just because we are uncomfortable with the idea of gravitational pull changing its direction.

obviously, if you look at the earth, it is not flat - there are hills, valleys, mountains... flat earth is not saying that the surface of earth is physically a flat plane. what it is saying is just that it doesn't make sense to them that the direction of gravity at a different point could be equivalent to what "east" or "north" or "up" is to them. intuition says that people on the "bottom" or the "sides" of the earth would fall off.
>>
>>8081157
It's simple you just see how long it takes to circumfere antarctica once.
For spherical earth it would be about 16k km,
for this it would be about 60k km.
>>
>>8089013
>3 days ago
Whatever, I'm hungry for bait

If you're in a moving car going at 100mph and you jumped out, would you expect yourself to just stop?
>>
File: the toppest of keks.jpg (180KB, 517x768px) Image search: [Google]
the toppest of keks.jpg
180KB, 517x768px
>>8093841
>aether
>>
File: banking_tricks.jpg (61KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
banking_tricks.jpg
61KB, 600x400px
>>8097190
>hurr durr electromagnetic waves don't need a medium
>photon is a particle and a wave at the same time. like a magic
>>
Even if you claim that all video gathered from weather balloons has a fisheye lens or has been altered in any way, wouldn't you be able to see the 'Antarctic ridge' that supposedly surrounds the Earth? Logically the balloon should be able to see the entire disk but it doesn't which proves that there is a curve
Checkmate retards
>>
>>8097217
> mad over the fact that electromagnetic waves don't need a medium
Ofcourse they don't retard. Thats why they're called electromagnetic waves. They are completely different from mechanical waves.

Fucks sake learn physics 101 before trying to post here.
>>
>>8097025
None of that is true.
>>
>>8097218
>I'm a seventh grader and I think I'm smart
>>
>>8098755
>seventh grader
>somehow smarter than a Flattie
Sounds pretty plausible desu
>>
>>8072941
>marine traffic

http://www.marinetraffic.com

Unless your brain is lacking the part that understands the basic axioms of geometry, there's literally no explanation for why sailing around the world takes the time it does.

Unless the world is a globe. In which case it makes absolutely perfect sense down to the last tonne of fuel consumed.
>>
>>8099828
Or...the mariners and sailors are all in on the lie. Along with pilots ans 99.99999999991% of the worlds population.
>>
>>8097224
>Thats why they're called electromagnetic waves. They are completely different from mechanical waves.
Because your teacher told you so?
>>
>>8099910
>Because your teacher told you so?
Because experiment shows they are.
The experiments don't even need particularly expensive equipment, you could do them in your garage if you were determined.
>>
>>8099910
Was school extra difficult for you?
>>
>>8072941
>>>/x/
>>
>>8087496
Got ya faggot
>>>8087223

Ha ha!
>>
>>8100756
kek
Thread posts: 270
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.