[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If v'(x) = u(x), and y denotes some function, does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

If v'(x) = u(x), and y denotes some function, does v'(y) = y*u(x)?
>>
>>8061752
Sorry, meant:
Does v'(y) = y*u(y)?
>>
>>8061752
What is v? What u? What is x?

Does v' mean the derivative?
>>
>>8061759
Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notation_for_differentiation#Lagrange.27s_notation

v and u are both functions
>>
>>8061752
>>8061756
No
>>8061766
functions of?
>>
>>8061766
>v and u are both functions

I meant what were they exactly.

If you mean that this is general case for any functions v,u and y then I am sorry to tell you that even a toddler could construct a counter example.

That is why I supposed v and u were actually functions constrained in some way so that this general case would make sense.
>>
>>8061752
>hamburger
>actually chicken sandwich
fug off
>>
>>8061780
Those are any functions which satisfy the equalities. For example, in the OP, we can clearly see that u(x) is a function which is equal to the derivative of v(x).
>>
>>8061752

If y is a function that uses x then no. It also needs to be derivated according to derivation rules.
If it's just a number or not a function that includes x then yes
>>
File: 1355592808571.jpg (113KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1355592808571.jpg
113KB, 500x500px
this conversation has me wondering, what is the most general case in which a function can be said to be differentiable?

do the domain and codomain need to be uncountably infinite? or is it something simpler?
>>
>>8061789
Yeah but so what?

That is not enough of a restriction to make any of this a true statement.

Also, v' might aswell just be another function because we get no information about what v is so who cares.
>>
>>8061804
>what is the most general case in which a function can be said to be differentiable?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differentiable_function#Differentiability_in_higher_dimensions
>>
>>8061756
No.

If you differentiate with respect to y:
v'(y) = u(y)

If you differentiate with respect to x:
v'(y(x)) = y'(x) u(y(x))
>>
>>8061905
I also want to add to my post that Lagrange's notation isn't always clear. I prefer Euler' notation (or Leibniz's), since those notations allow you to mention the variable you differentiate to.
[math]\text{D}_{y}^1v(y)=u(y) \text{ and }
\text{D}_{x}^1v(y)=u(y)\text{D}_{x}^1y[/math]
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.