[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shitty physcist here. How do I learn to sketch graphs? for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: graph.png (80KB, 1920x705px) Image search: [Google]
graph.png
80KB, 1920x705px
Shitty physcist here.

How do I learn to sketch graphs?

for example, how would you know that y=sinx/x looked like pic related?
>>
The main things that characterise graphs are axis intercepts and the turning points.
>>
>>8057375
Well, first you know its probably sinusoidal. Then, think of the graph of 1/x. Try plotting them together.
>>
What is the value of y at x=0?
>>
>>8057375
>numerator a cyclical function bounded by -1 and 1
>denominator grows larger as x increases
>therefore it's a cyclical function whose amplitude decreases as the magnitude of x increases

i mean, i guess it's a little tricky if you don't know what sin(x) is

like everything else in the world, you'll probably learn better by simply fucking trying it instead of asking people how to learn it
have you thought about taking a few hours and just sketching graphs?
surprise surprise - all of a sudden you'll know how to sketch them...
>>
>>8057417

How do I come up with novel ideas for graphs to sketch?
>>
>>8057375
To sketch sinx/x there are some steps
Step 1: decide for an interval. Say [-pi,pi]
Step 2: then write the point for the interval values of sine. which would be -pi, -pi/2, 0, pi/2 and pi
Step 4: Because you are not a retard you know this shit is curved so you draw the connecting lines slightly curved
Step 5: Remember that this is fucking 2016 and graphing software exists so you kill yourself for even wondering about how to fucking graph a function when we have computers.

Aaaaand done!
It is that easy!
>>
>>8057405

undefined, but the limit is 1.

See:https://www.khanacademy.org/math/differential-calculus/limits-topic/squeeze-theorem/v/proof-lim-sin-x-x
>>
>>8057405
Undefined you literal baboon.
>>
>>8057423

As per step 2, what would you think the value is when x = 0?
>>
>>8057427
>>8057426

Sine turns at x=0 so you would assume that sinx/x would also turn at 0 but you cannot evaluate it at 0 so you just evaluet it at -0.01 and 0.01 so see how it curves and then you keep going.

You shouldn't come into this board if you haven't even taken calculus I, kid.
>>
>>8057375
Play with MATLAB alot. There is many different kinds of plots. And soon enough you can visualize any simple function in your mind.
>>
>>8057431

I know the answer for this particular case because we used it as an example when learning Squeeze theorem.

My point is that if you just wanted to quickly sketch a graph it seems likely that either you would carelessly assume it was zero or that you wouldn't have the time to properly evaluate it.

It is a sketch, after all. So therefore I would say that your "steps" are shit, because they take just as much time as a formal analysis.
>>
>>8057436
>It is a sketch

I remember in calc one they taught us what the fastest way to sketch a graph was if we were for some reason to be so retarded as to get away from our computers one day.

You would find the derivative for your function, then find the roots of the derivative. Then you would find the points for which your function is undefined and then you would sketch all those points.

In this explanation it is implied that you just approach the undefined points to know if any curving happens there, which most of the times is the case.

I simply explained this differently in my post.

How else would you do this, specially for a transcendental like sine?
>>
File: tfw.jpg (23KB, 500x312px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.jpg
23KB, 500x312px
>>8057426
>>
T I 83 Wolfe's alpha statistics algebra
>>
>>8057375
>Find where y=0
>Mark points
>Find critical points
>Determine maxima and minima
>Mark points.
>Connect dots with slightly smooth curve

Easy desu senpai.
>>
>>8057422

Jesus christ, you fucking moron- literally just start with a fucking linear equation y = ax + b and choose an easy interval with a doable constant difference between inputs. [2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, ... 3.0]. If you're really autistic you can do [2.000, 2.001, 2.002, 2.003, ... 2.100... 2.200... 3.000].

It's not hard you just have to actually do it. There are no shortcuts.

>>8057467

Also this. Don't just do an arbitrary sequence of points, but look at the midpoints, max, min, etc. Try to compare the output to other types of equations. Be creative.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.