[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are mathematicians all retarded, /sci/? "In mathematics,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: question-31842991.jpg (78KB, 625x625px) Image search: [Google]
question-31842991.jpg
78KB, 625x625px
Are mathematicians all retarded, /sci/?
"In mathematics, the associative property ... Within an expression containing two or more occurrences in a row of the same associative operator, the order in which the operations are performed does not matter as long as the sequence of the operands is not changed."

>the order in which the operations are performed does not matter
>the order does not matter
>associative

How the fuck did they "associate", the word "associative" with "order dun matter"? Are they seriously fucking retarded? I'm honestly asking. Can someone explain it? And this is not the only instance where they do this, it's all over the place.
>>
they could call the property hotdog for all i care
>>>/lit/
>>
Well its just means that (ab)c = a(bc)

As you can guess, it's quite nice property to have
>>
Consider addition. (A+B)+C=A+(B+C) is a statement of associativity. On the left hand side, A and B are associated with each other, where on the right, B and C are associated with each other. At least that has always been my interpretation.
>>
One half of the equation associates with the other on the other side of the equal sign.
>>
>>8056808
Value is association/identity.
>>
>Are they seriously fucking retarded? I'm honestly asking.

No you're not, you just want to be an asshole.
Of course you know that working mathematicans, who are good at their work some level or another, don't suffer from mental illness.
Yeah, blah, blah,
>taking what I say literally har har
No. The point is that you are insulting for no reason.

To answer your question "associare" is used for "connect" in latin.
>>
>>8056811
(equation)^n is multiplication of associative equations with the same identity.
>>
>>8056791
The order the operations happen doesn't matter for associative operators
But back in the day we represented that with parentheses. And it meant the middle number could associate with either the first or last number and be equivalent.
a(bc) = (ab)c reads
a(bc) (b is associated with c first)
is equal to
(ab)c (b is associated with a first)

Commutativity is when the order of the numbers doesn't matter
>>
>>8056791
In an expression (ab)c(d(ef)), the grouping doesn't matter, i.e., you can view them as being in one big group abcdef rather than a bunch of two element packets, i.e., all the terms associate with each other. It's not too hard to justify, you see? If you have any better alternative, I'd love to love to hear it, but I don't care.
>>
>>8056827
I forgot two parentheses, btw.
>>
>>8056829
I didn't get that either. To be fair though, they could just be trying to answer his other question affirmitively.
>>
>>8056791
Do you not get how names work? They're just labels attached to concepts, a name is as well understood as the concept it describes. You could have called it the "dumb fuck op property" and it wouldn't matter, just so long as the underlying meaning is well understood.

You're the only retard here.
>>
>>8056791
hey anon, don't look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_%28mathematics%29
>>
>>8056791
Associativity makes sense

Its the groups, rings and fields I don't get for word origins
>>
>>8056909
Those words all originally meant different, more specific things/
>>
>>8056791
But muh 300k starting
>>
>>8056791
>believing in Abelian mathematics
>>
>>8056791
This is a fundamental axiom governing one, and two dimensional algebra, I honestly can't understand how you can quibble over a name
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.