[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/. I'm trying to cultivate a fungus, but every

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 188497418_13b9a98fcc_z[1].jpg (104KB, 500x341px) Image search: [Google]
188497418_13b9a98fcc_z[1].jpg
104KB, 500x341px
Hey /sci/.

I'm trying to cultivate a fungus, but every time I start a crop another fungus always invades and kills my culture. Temperature and humidity control doesn't seem the problem - I've got a fairly rigorous setup that I check very frequently and sterilize thoroughly, so I'm thinking maybe the grain I'm using is contaminated? I kind of went the cheap route and used bird seed, so is there either a way to purify the bird seed before introducing the culture, or should I go with a different kind of grain? Recommendations?
>>
>>8055132
Boil it in a pressure cooker. Then inocculate it with your fungi. and keep in an environment without airflow that brings in environmental spores.

tl;dr google how to grow magic mushrooms properly, the guides are out there to avoid having your shrooms infected by the environment.
>>
make a home autoclave in a pressure cooker?

dry roast the bird seed?

buy lab grade food source for the fungi as bird seed is definitely super contaminated
>>
>>8055153
I'll admit, I can't actually find a lab grade supply of grain on any common online retailer. Is there a specific site for it?
>>
>>8055166
Autoclave/pressure cook it, then deposit it into your glassware that you have had in the oven at ~200C. Cover it with other glassware that is hot and then inoculate it when it have cooled.

It's about antiseptic procedure, you need to let the fungi colonize it before anything else does.
>>
Just look up shroom growing guides and do the same thing
>>
>>8055206
Penicillin loses to yeast.
>>
>>8055132
>another fungus always invades and kills my culture
Your inferior culture was never meant to live. Embrace evolution; the fungus that grows fastest lives strongest.

>tfw meant to delete file
>>
>>8055213
>tfw time travel
>tfw alternate timeline
>tfw different post numbers
>tfw OP's post number corresponds to a post in the other timeline about Africans
>tfw come across as racist in another timeline
>tfw didn't mean to delete post
>>
>>8055195
this, shroomery should have some very in-depth guides to sterilizing bird seed.
>>
OP:

Thanks for the input guys.

Boiling it turned out to be a bad call. Caused it to basically turn into oatmeal, which wouldn't allow enough airspace for the culture to spore properly. So instead I'm going to try washing it in really hot water for a few cycles. Before I was just rinsing it because most retail bird seed is coated in an antifungal, and as you might imagine that's a bit of a hassle when trying to deliberately grow one.
>>
>>8055287
soak birdseed in alcohol or some other solvent (more voatile the better)
let it evaporate so no alcohol or at least a non lethal amount to the fungus exists
done

or use a food grade product like oats or something maybe
>>
Shroomery. Also hygiene is everything. A retard could grow mushrooms if they were clean enough. If your culture gets infected, throw the jar or whatever you're using out.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.