[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Browsing through /sci, I can't help but notice all the talk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1462328897666.jpg (96KB, 480x643px) Image search: [Google]
1462328897666.jpg
96KB, 480x643px
Browsing through /sci, I can't help but notice all the talk about a certain hierarchy among majors, how certain majors are better than others, etc. When I contrast this to /lit or /his, which is where I usually browse, there's not nearly as much of this. While, obviously, /sci is a board that encompasses a wider variety of majors, and this is fucking 4chan so what did I expect, why is it that STEM people in particular tend to be so obsessed with this shit? I notice even in my uni that there happens to be this sort of hierarchy among STEM people and it's pretty irritating. Before you think this is a humanities inferiority thing, I major in Neuroscience; I just happen to like literature. But I feel like, in the scientific community, especially for undergrads, this need to make sure that "my science is the best science" creates certain divisions among people who could have learned interesting things from each other, and sort of shows a lack of inherent interest in the science itself. I might be reaching, but I feel like when you get so obsessed with trying to prove that your major is better than others, you're either insecure about your choice, or are interested in the major simply because of the identity that's associated with it. Which, I think, is a very dangerous path to take, but something that I see a lot of STEM people doing. For example, a lot of people I know are clearly majoring in CS because of the identity of "the coder" or whatever that seems so appealing to them, and this seems kinda fucked up. And I don't see this phenomenon nearly as much in the humanities. While there are the occasional pretentious douches who who read Ulysses to look smart, the identity of the English major is not nearly as coveted in the modern world, so humanities people, in my experience, tend to have a more genuine interest in the subject itself rather than an interest in the image associated with it. What do you guys think about this? This might just be my experience.
>>
>>8051627
nice copy pasta
saved
>>
>>8051627
first off i have only encountered the hiearchy on sci

second off it's because sci can
either people truthfully believe in it or just want to piss other people off
>>
>>8051630
bish I wrote all dat
>>
>>8051627
It's because /sci/ is populated by incredibly pretentious autists that revel in forceful categorization and organization, literally unable to function without making sweeping generalizations.
>>
>>8051627
Real scientific research is very interdisciplinary. The people who talk about tiers of majors are probably several years of school away from research, if they get to do it at all.
>>
I didn't really write it :/
>>
>>8051645
Are you being ironic on purpose?
>>
>>8051822
Maybe that anon is a highly self aware autist
>>
it causes people anxiety if they aren't associated with groups that align with their ideal self

plus its mostly ironic and memey and nobody here cuts their wrists because they aren't "smart enuf 2 do fizz ecks". OP you sound like a degenerate autist who is gullible enough to believe your own horseshit, like that any of what you vomited out actually matters to someone of worth

kill thyself
>>
>>8051822
>>8052280
I didn't exclude myself.
>>
>>8051627
Cool. Fuck off to /his/.
>>
>>8051627
I spew math superiority memes as a joke. Anyone who honestly believes it is just autistic.
>>
>>8051627
Biologists are retarded tho
>>
>>8051627
tldr
get aids
>>
>>8051627
You have no idea. Some people on /sci/ actually define themselves by their major, and by that I mean the image they think they have, hence all the degree battles and shit.

Also, these:
>>8051645
>>8052829
>>
>>8051627

It's not that people in STEM are super conscious of which majors are better than others.

It's that people who are super conscious of which majors are better than others go into STEM.

When I first started going to college? I was thinking I'd pursue my passions in history and lit, maybe minor in journalism as a fallback. Boy, what a silly faggot I was.

Then I spent an afternoon researching which degrees aren't completely fucking useless. Now I'm an EE major, because that's the best thing anyone can ever be.
>>
>>8052829
This, /sci/ is the most fun board to troll.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.