[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

dxdy=rdrdΘ Why do I get otherwise..? I'm not looking for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: mp1.jpg (99KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
mp1.jpg
99KB, 800x450px
dxdy=rdrdΘ
Why do I get otherwise..?

I'm not looking for a graphical approach, I'm more so wondering why my mathematical approach is wrong
>>
>>8048938
for starters, it looked like you multiplied wrong the first term in the expansion
>>
File: mp2.jpg (61KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
mp2.jpg
61KB, 800x450px
?
>>
File: 1455837280985.jpg (88KB, 587x443px) Image search: [Google]
1455837280985.jpg
88KB, 587x443px
>>8048943
my bad, there's supposed to be a cosine in there too, but i miscopied it from my scrap paper
>>
>>8048938

Where do you get those initial equalities for dx and dy?

Not saying it's wrong, I just can't remember where I've seen that shown before
>>
>>8048949
From the Total Derivative:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_derivative
>>
Let [math]\omega = \operatorname{dx} \wedge \operatorname{dy} [/math]

and [math]f:{\mathbb{R}^2} \to {\mathbb{R}^2}[/math] such that[math]\left( {r,\theta } \right) \mapsto \left( {r\cos \theta ,r\sin \theta } \right) = \left( {x,y} \right)[/math] .

Then calculate the pullback...

[math]{f^*}\omega = {f^*}\operatorname{dx} \wedge {f^*}\operatorname{dy} = \operatorname{d} \left( {x \circ f} \right) \wedge \operatorname{d} \left( {y \circ f} \right) = \operatorname{d} \left( {r\cos \theta } \right) \wedge \operatorname{d} \left( {r\sin \theta } \right) = \left( {\cos \theta \operatorname{d} r - r\sin \theta \operatorname{d} \theta } \right) \wedge \left( {\sin \theta \operatorname{d} r + r\cos \theta \operatorname{d} \theta } \right) = r\operatorname{d} r \wedge \operatorname{d} \theta [/math]

wow so hard
>>
>>8048955
Okay now explain it to me in layman's terms.

Does this mean you can't go about calculating dxdy the way i did and you HAVE to do it another way? such as the Jacobian? I'm not a mathematician wiz so I'm just looking for som clarification
>>
>>8048964
Laymans terms: that's not how multiplication of differentials works. This was an annoyance of the notation in classical calculus, that you had to be careful about order/etc. to recover the proper area/volume/etc. element from a 'product' of the differentials. Also, differentials, even informally, were built so that their squared products vanished (i.e., you should only look at first order in a given differential).

The *proper* way to obtain the new area/volume/etc. element, even in classical calculus, is to use a jacobian transformation. This is the change of variables formula that correctly transforms your integration.

What the other user posted is a rigorous construction of forms that has the nice benefit of matching all the classical calculus formulae and intuition. The new rules are that product between differentials is an anti-commutating product (dx dy = -dy dx) and so automatically the square of a differential vanishes (i.e., dx dx = 0).

TLDR: straight multiplication of differentials has always been wrong, even when you assume a squared differential vanishes. You have to use the jacobian in classical calculus, or learn about differential forms and their algebra to do things properly.
>>
>>8049030
Thanks! I never knew. Thanks for the eye opener! Best to you
>>
>>8048938
>>8048964
You kinda did do it right, you just clearly weren't aware of the proper multiplication.

You multiply differentials using the wedge product [math]\wedge [/math].

Two properties this product has when acting on differentials / 1-forms is that:

[math] \operatorname{dx} \wedge \operatorname{dx} = 0 [/math]
i.e. any 1-form squared is zero

[math] \operatorname{dx} \wedge \operatorname{dy} = - \operatorname{dy} \wedge \operatorname{dx} [/math]
i.e. It is anti-commutative for 1-forms
If you take the above two properties into account, the expression you calculated simplifies to the correct answer.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.