/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where did the meme about math just being all plug and chug, calculations,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: 1457906146613.jpg (44KB, 500x353px) Image search: [Google]
1457906146613.jpg
44KB, 500x353px
Where did the meme about math just being all plug and chug, calculations, and formula's come from?
>>
>>8048025
Reality.
>>
>>8048032
/thread
>>
Completely fucked up math education
>>
>>8048025
where did the meme come from that arithmetic = math
>>
Math is being taught in the worst way possible.
>>
>>8048046
what
>>
>>8048025
I've heard that you can get away with not understanding concepts and just plugging and chugging away until around calc II.
>>
>>8048270
I think so.

For my engineering course calc I-III, linear algebra, statistics, differential equations, complex calculus and integral transforms have all been plug and chug.
>>
File: 1445207698772.jpg (57KB, 450x297px) Image search: [Google]
1445207698772.jpg
57KB, 450x297px
>>8048025
>>
>>8048270
maybe if your tests are easy baby bullshit
>>
>>8048282
>finding any calc II test hard
>being a brainlet
don't do it
>>
>>8048270
My calc classes required some proofs. Some subjects, the exam eas purely doing proofs and some application shit that wasn't trivial.
>>
>>8048282
Tgis
>>
>>8048270
In my experience, people just memorize the steps of say, integration and differentiation, without really understanding what's the meaning of it.

Then when they're given a problem where they have to set the whole thing up and find the limits they need and the integrals they need they get stuck since they did not understand what an integral is supposed to do in the first place.
>>
>>8048821
>tfw I still don't know what a complex integral is

But I can sure as hell compute one
>>
>>8048821
How can we divide by zero if we never approach it?
>>
female teachers my whole fucking life
>>
>>8048834
You can say it did
>>
>>8048270
go ahead and just plug n chug if you want to get BTFO in junior/senior year. that freshman shit is foundational.
>>
>>8048270
You really shouldn't do this.
You'll end up on khan academy relearning everything all over again when you realized you got fucked by your education.
>>
Math professors are autists who dont know how to teach, so they overcomplicate everything/regurgitate from textbooks, which leaves students confused and resorting to the ol' plug n chug
Seriously, who thought it would be a good idea to let the kind of people who like math that much become teachers? Sure, some are ok, I know plenty normal math majors and some teachers but goddamn that majority.
>>
>>8048032
Kek
>>
>>8048275
Sounds like you go to a shit university desu.
>>
>>8048349
Mine too but those were again possible by memorizing the steps
>>
>>8048967
>>
Anything higher than calc/linear/DE are not just plug n chug. That is because eco and business majors take those so they have to be as simple as possible. When the classes are only math majors, they become complicated
>>
>>8049011
Well you got the general idea of how to prove shit but it wasn't a straightforward process
>>
>>8049042
Have to agree. My test was mainly plug n chug and a couple of proofs which flvery few people solved.
>>
>>8048927
in the world top 10 by most rankings so I would disagree.

but if it were a choice between admitting to struggling with plug and chug math (and hence brainletism) vs denigrating a universities quality then I'd probably do the same as you :^)
>>
>>8048025
Probably from the 12 years of state mandated education
>>
>>8048870
hmm, not advocating for it. I personally had to teach myself most of the theory behind integration and differentiation in my calc I class when my professor hand waved literally almost everything. Pissed me the fuck off.

but yeah there were students in that class that memorized patterns and and plugged and chugged away and aced the class. ask 3/4ths of those students to explain the fundamental theorem of calculus and watch them "uh...well...uh"
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.