[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

(1/2)I apologize beforehand if this is the wrong board to post

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (233KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
233KB, 1280x720px
(1/2)I apologize beforehand if this is the wrong board to post this or if at any time it does not make sense

>In Gullivers travels johnathan swift describes a circular flying island 7837 yards in diameter with an adamantine base that's 200 yards high and for the next 100 yards its described as normal soil. in the middle of the island is a chasm 50 yards in diameter, and descending into the chasm you arrive into an observatory that's 100 yards beneath the upper surface off the adamantine their is the most important aspect of the island the lodestone

>a loadstone of a prodigious size, in shape resembling a weaver’s shuttle. It is in length six yards, and in the thickest part at least three yards over. This magnet is sustained by a very strong axle of adamant passing through its middle, upon which it plays, and is poised so exactly that the weakest hand can turn it. It is hooped round with a hollow cylinder of adamant, four feet yards in diameter, placed horizontally, and supported by eight adamantine feet, each six yards high. In the middle of the concave side, there is a groove twelve inches deep, in which the extremities of the axle are lodged, and turned round as there is occasion.

>By means of this loadstone, the island is made to rise and fall, and move from one place to another. For, with respect to that part of the earth over which the monarch presides, the stone is endued at one of its sides with an attractive power, and at the other with a repulsive. Upon placing the magnet erect, with its attracting end towards the earth, the island descends; but when the repelling extremity points downwards, the island mounts directly upwards. When the position of the stone is oblique, the motion of the island is so too: for in this magnet, the forces always act in lines parallel to its direction.
>note the island can only float when its in the boundaries of the kingdom due to the mineral composition of the ground below and the height limit of the city is 4
>>
>>8045925
>loadstone
Lodestone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lodestone
>>
File: weavers shuttle.png (78KB, 362x139px) Image search: [Google]
weavers shuttle.png
78KB, 362x139px
(2/2)>miles any higher the magnetic field of the land doesn't reach it.
So what I'm trying to do is figure out how this could work in the real world
Doing some research I assumed the adamantine base was refined magnetite which is both extremely hard and is ferromagnetic and that's how adamantine materials were described in Swifts time. So the weight of the island is at least 42,087,253,268 tons.
I'm not sure how to calculate the magnetic pressure needed to lift the island. or even whether a ferromagnetic or diamagnetic process would be better for this particular situation. also how would rotating the lodestone possibly change the field direction of the metal base?
pic related is a weavers shuttle
>>
File: link.png (262KB, 931x941px) Image search: [Google]
link.png
262KB, 931x941px
>>8045937
not knowing about old timey spellings
>>
>>8045937
>>8045957
Since both spellings are used in the OP post, it is just a homophoned typo.
>>
File: 1461390102255.jpg (58KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1461390102255.jpg
58KB, 500x400px
its not a homophone some of the post is from the original text back when they fucking spelled lodestone like that you uncultured swine
>>
>>8045925
TL;DR
>>8045953
Because of Earnshaw's theorem you can't levitate stuff with passive magnetic fields.... unless you use superconductors. Earth's magnetic field is really weak though. Lifting an island is rather impractical.
>>
>8046157
what if the entire mineral composition of the kingdom below is made of bismuth? and their are exceptions to Earnshaws theorem
>>
>>8046179
Does bismuth float in earth's magnetic field?
>>
File: untitled.png (144KB, 243x207px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
144KB, 243x207px
alright assume the land blarnigbal had its own magnetic field how strong would it have to be to lift the fucking island?
>>
>>8045957
"Old-timey" has nothing to do with it.

"Lode" and "load" are two different words.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.