[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the field of mathematics so underpaid despite being relevant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: counting money.jpg (34KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
counting money.jpg
34KB, 640x427px
Why is the field of mathematics so underpaid despite being relevant and applicable to so many fields of science and engineering?
>>
It is if your actually studying a field where your using applied mathematics, which would be called engineering.
But you probably dream of studying topology or some other pure math nonsense.
>>
>>8038388
This. Applied math here. Even though all I do is numerical methods in a math-only context I'm in the department of engineering at my university. Hoping to go on to PhD and do more computational modeling.
>>
>>8038360
demand and supply

too many fags trying to math.
>>
File: phd102008s.gif (40KB, 600x545px) Image search: [Google]
phd102008s.gif
40KB, 600x545px
>>8038360
>Why is the field of mathematics so underpaid despite being relevant and applicable to so many fields of science and engineering?
Why do we have this discussion almost every single day? Are mathematicians particularly dense??

And if you are in the US you should know that NSA is the main employer of mathematicians, assuming you don't do pot or clicked too many times on "Like" about Snowden.
>>
>>8038360
The plebs among us have never seen the use of creating new mathematics. The more intelligent are able to learn about abstract new developments and apply it to solve new problems in science and engineering.
>>
I thought you made 300k starting
>>
Looking up the data mathematicians seem to be compensated quite nicely by raw salary alone, ignoring the university benefits and flexibility of the job. The only problem is before you reach that point you'd have been poor for a while ( slugging it out for your PhD and Postdoc etc ).
>>
>>8038360
My guess is the skills aren't as tangible as other fields. Engineers I would expect to know how to build things, CS people will be able to program something for me, Math people know how to do math, but that doesn't necessarily mean they know how finance works or do applied math for aerospace.
>>
>>8038360
Because the last time "contemporary" topics in mathematics had any relevancy in the real world was at the beginning of the 20th century.
>>
>>8038360
Because physicists learn all the useful maths and go and make money with it.
>>
>>8038360
Knot theory.
>>
File: 1459013383243.jpg (244KB, 1431x1409px) Image search: [Google]
1459013383243.jpg
244KB, 1431x1409px
>>8038360
>>8038388
>>8038796
>>8043153
>>8043172
>>8043158

Kek, anyone other Math majors finish their degree at a good uni and walk into a high-paid finance job?

Then again, there is an apparent shortage of maths graduates in my country. Sad!
>>
>>8038360

most math people do is just proving the techniques that everyone already knows works by expermients. its good in the long run of humanity but not in short term scope of most businesses that just wants something that works
>>
The answer is it really depends...

Most mathematicians and scientists stay in academia... of those, some care more about furthering their field than about money...

Then there's those who do some hustling on the side with startups, etc...

Finally there's those who go into industry r&d or government, etc, who make decent dough (a lot of dough in some cases).

I mean, if you are good enough at math or physics to become a quant at wallstreet, you'll be making lots of money...
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.