[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How true is this statement: >the harder something is,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: diamond-8.jpg (169KB, 1024x808px) Image search: [Google]
diamond-8.jpg
169KB, 1024x808px
How true is this statement:

>the harder something is, the more brittle it is
>>
wrong my dick is hard af and it ain't breakin anytime soon nigga #swag
>>
File: Snake-Plisskin.jpg (377KB, 792x545px) Image search: [Google]
Snake-Plisskin.jpg
377KB, 792x545px
The more things change, the more things stay the same.
>>
>>8022176
It will shatter rather than elastically or plastically deform when a large stress is exerted on it.

That said, do not conflate this with "weak" or "fragile."
>>
>>8022236
So "the harder it is, the more brittle" is correct?

None of the definitions or explanations of the terms I find seem to indicate this.
>>
>>8022176
>what did he means by this
>>
>>8022243
>None of the definitions or explanations of the terms I find seem to indicate this
even though it appears to be true.
>>
>>8022243
Because brittle implies easy shattering, and there is no reason to presume something hard is inherently going to shatter easily, even if it will shatter.
>>
>>8022189
Well yeah, breaking subatomic objects is pretty hard
>>
A material is brittle if, when subjected to stress, it breaks without significant deformation

dont know where people are getting this brittle = fragile/easy shattering bullshit.
>>
>>8022176
metals aren't very brittle.
>>
>>8022176
If crystal structure just has covalent bonds it breaks easily. Unlike metal which has free electrons and this allows atoms to move which makes the substance malleable.
>>
>>8022523
..well maybe easily was not the best term. For example if you consider diamond. But it will break and not bend.
>>
Not true at all. Have you ever fucked around with rocks OP? It's easy to find two rocks of the same hardness but one crumbles easier than the other. The same applies to metals and all materials. It's instead better to consider the toughness of a material, ie the ability of a material to undergo a force without breaking or deforming
>>
>>8022481
Metals aren't very hard either.
>>
>>8022579
diamond is the hardest metal known to man...
>>
>>8022176
That has never been proven.

Intellectual (me):1
Pseudo-intellectual:0

I am an atheist as well.
I'm just an educated atheist.
Here are my beliefs:
Empiricism, falsifiability, fallacy checking, the scientific method, the socratic method, humility, scientific consensus, etc.

I don't believe in jumping to conclusions or siding with an unproven concept and calling it proven with emotional fervor.
That's irrational.
The only rational thing is to remain neutral until something is proven true with experimentation or some form of evidence.
Presumption is never evidence.
>>
>>8022176
Often true esp with metals.
Fewer slip planes mean harder materials and also more brittle
>>
>>8022449
S A V A G E
>>
>>8022610
>Carbon
>Metal
Pick One
>>
>>8022652
>being
>this new
Pick two
>>
>>8022474
Non physicist here
Brittle is taking to mean easy shattering in common speech, that wasn't even contradicted in GCSEs

It's pretty easy to misunderstand brittleness unless you get a specific understanding in material science, in a level or above

>>8022618
Good post

You deserve more 4chan gold for your moderating of sci/atheism
>>
File: tip.webm (1MB, 630x354px) Image search: [Google]
tip.webm
1MB, 630x354px
>>8022618
>>8022671
>>
>>8022197
Ah, is it just me or does anybody see
The new improved tomorrow isn't what it used to be
Yesterday keeps comin' 'round, it's just reality
It's the same damn song with a different melody
>>
>>8022243

Yes it's true. A rock is actually harder than steel.
>>
yeah, the harder they come, the harder they'll fall one and aaaaaall
>>
>>8023084
nice
>>
File: Binyamin Netanyahu Israel.jpg (45KB, 450x317px) Image search: [Google]
Binyamin Netanyahu Israel.jpg
45KB, 450x317px
This thread is full of faggotry - I'm here to set things straight:

Hardness is directly related to a material's yield strength. A hard material has a high yield point and is less likely to deform plastically when loaded.

A brittle material is one which lacks the ability to accommodate plastic strain energy at the tip of a crack leading to an increased liklihood of fracture under load. Hard materials exhibit this lack of plasticity (high yield) and therefore are often brittle.

HOWEVER, a brittle material need not be hard. For instance, jelly is brittle. It is wibbly wobbly and elastic but cannot accomodate plastic strain.
>>
>>8022652
>not catching the oldest, most widespread meme of all time
>>
>>8022176
as a generalized statement, its accurate. hardness and ductility are USUALLY inversely proportional to each other.

some exotic material processes can increase both.
>>
>>8023168
>HOWEVER, a brittle material need not be hard.
But a hard material will usually be more brittle, right?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.