[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How are numbers like this one pronounced in English (exchanging

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

File: nullkommaperiodeneun.png (71KB, 434x322px) Image search: [Google]
nullkommaperiodeneun.png
71KB, 434x322px
How are numbers like this one pronounced in English (exchanging the comma for a dot, obviously)?

In my language we say what would translate to "Zero Dot/Comma Period Nine".
>>
>>8020191
Zero point 9 repeating.
>>
>>8020192
So it's "9 repeating"?
And what do you do when the repeating pattern starts at some point after the dot?
Like that you don't have a marker for that in the pronunciation.
>>
>>8020191
Zero point nine recurring.
>>
>>8020194
Okay, so "recurring" and not "repeating".
Same question, though: >>8020193
>>
>>8020191
it's pronounced "one"
like "wann"
>>
>>8020191
zero point nine bar.
>>
>>8020191
point nine repeating. If you're gonna be nit picky like a nancy it's zero point nine repeating.
>>
>>8020193
Say like it's 1.578989898989
We'd say "one point five seven eight nine repeating" People will assume the 89 is the repeating part unless specified other wise.
>>
>>8020238
I wouldn't, I'd assume it was [math]\bar{5789}[/math].

If you have to say something like that, it's clearer to put a pause in or be explicit, so something like "1.57 -pause- 8 9 repeating" or "1.57 with 89 repeating" or just fucking write it out.

Of course the real answer is that in 99.9% of cases where you're verbally announcing numbers, nobody gives a shit about precision beyond three decimal places, and it would be said as "1.579"
>>
>>8020244
god damnit, fucking \bar{} command.
>>
>>8020191

Zero bar nine.
Because a comma isn't necessarily a dot. (5, -10) (x,y). - $50,000,000.
A comma represents the next value to be considered
>>
>>8020244

How can the 78 be repeating if theres a fucking 9 on the end
>>
>>8020191
One.
>>
>>8020248
So how do you make it stretch over all of its argument?
>>
Cero coma nueve periódico
>>
>>8020279
Consider the following: you are given an infinite amount of time to add up all the [math]\bar{9}[/math]s, say one digit per second. For any arbitrary moment during the execution of that task, if somene comes to you and asks "hurr, is it [math]1[/math] yet?" will you ever be able to reply "yes"?
>>
>>8020308
but will they ever be able to ask me that question if they are polite enough to not interrupt me while I talk?
>>
>>8020280
>>8020244
Ah ok, I had the wrong command. Should have been overline, not bar, for [math]1.\overline{5789}[/math]
>>
>>8020238
I'd say 1.57 8 recurring 9 recurring

Get your ambiguous shit out of here
>>
>>8020193

I would say "one point five seven and then eight nine repeating." Or something similar to make it explicit.
>>
>>8020549
Okay, that seems reasonable and sound.

Just one thing to make sure: Is this kind of stuff that much of a clusterfuck in English as this thread makes it appear to be, or am I dealing with high school dropouts and/or other non-native speakers?
>>
>>8020565
It's just English. Word order is rather strict, so you can't move things around even if it would make the sentence clearer.
>>
>>8020565
It's an English thing but 99% of the time people round repeating numbers or don't mark it as repeating.
>>
>>8020238
I'd tend to say "one point five seven, eight nine eight nine recurring" to make it a bit more obvious the 89 part is repeated. I pause a bit after the seven to mark the start of the repeated bit
>>
>>8020191
0 point 9 bar.
The notation on the 9 is called a bar and that bar represents an infinite amount of 9s.
>>
One
>>
>>8020196
>>8020193
Both recurring and repeating are used. Never really thought about this.

Also >>8020199

>>8020308
Your question is full of problems.
>given an infinite amount of time
No such thing. We literally never use the concept of "infinite amount of time" in math because it is undefined and does not exist.
Time is not infinite.
>add up the 9s
What do you mean? You don't add them. It's a single number, a single term.
Finally, if someone asks "is it 1 yet?" at any arbitrary time, the answer is "yes." Because they are being added infinitely in your example for an infinite amount of time, the answer is "yes," it EQUALS 1 in the same way a limit equals something instead of approaching it.
>>
>>8020191

zoro piont nine reporting in for substraction.
>>
>>8020308
consider this. instead of one 9 per second, you put the first, add the second after a second, the third after half a second, the fourth after a fourth of a second and so on. after 2 seconds, the 9's will add up to exactly 1
>>
>>8020238
one point five seven eighty-nine recurring
>>
>>8020199
>>8020279
>>8020818
You're not calling 3/3 one. Just because it equals the same doesn't mean it can't have different names.
>>
>>8020193
There is a linguistic grey area and different dialects say it differently.
I would say for the number:
Five point Nine Oh Oh Nine Six Seven, Six Seven repeating.
I would making sure to have a pause (Hence the comma) to make clear I intended only 67 to repeat.
>>
>>8020191
That number is pronounced "One".
>>
>>8020191
In the international phonetic alphabet, that number is pronounced "wʌn".

For help with the pronunciation of what is, in English, spelled "one", see
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/one#Pronunciation
>>
>>8022709
beat me to it
>>
>all these retards spamming "one"
yeah, it's equal to 1, that's not the point
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU
>33.33 repeating
>>
>>8022883
He asked how to pronounce numbers like that, not how to pronounce decimal representations like that.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.