[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be in bio engineering lab >work with dimethyl mercury

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

File: 330px-Dimethylmercury.svg.png (4KB, 330x110px) Image search: [Google]
330px-Dimethylmercury.svg.png
4KB, 330x110px
>be in bio engineering lab
>work with dimethyl mercury for creating more organomercury compounds
>wear 3 layers of silver shield gloves
>3 layers of lab coats
>full face respirator
>3 layers of easily removable pants
>2cm thick butyl rubber shoes
>knock over stand
>stand falls on vial of dimethyl mercury
>it spills everywhere
>take off labcoats and pans
>take off gloves
>bolt it out of room
>take off labcoat
>take off gloves
>take off pants
>forget to take off boots
>get tested for mercury poisoning
>results come as positive
i'll see you on the other side soon
>>
>>8015377
why were you not working in a glovebox?
>>
>>8015393
$$$$$$$$$$
>>
>>8015377
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH FAGGOT
>>
>>8015377
hahahaaha
>>
>>8015377
HAHAHAHAHAHA act like a bitch get mercury slapped like a bitch
>>
File: opfeet.jpg (22KB, 605x453px) Image search: [Google]
opfeet.jpg
22KB, 605x453px
>>
>>8015377

Man if this is true, which is isn't, I'd feel really awful for you.
>>
>>8015377
Ouch

Did it smell nice?
>>
>>8015377
How do you even take the 2 layers of pants off without removing the shoes
>>
>>8015377
It's not that bad. That bitch that supposedly died from one drop must have done some more severe mistake she didn't realize.
Hundreds or thousands of people have worked before, and are still working with this stuff without dying of mercury poisoning. And I can guarantee you that some of them spilled a bit of it on themselves.
>>
>>8016198
Two drops through regular latex gloves as the account goes. Diffuses right through.
The precautions in the OP would make diffusion extremely difficult.
>>
>>8015377
EDTA calcium bruhh
>>
In case anyone doesn't know, this is what will happen to OP
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn
R.I.P
>>
>>8015377
I hope this isn't true. I'll miss you
>>
Real glad I dropped out of chemistry right now.
>>
>>8015621
"t is described as having a slightly sweet smell, although inhaling enough vapor to detect its odor would be hazardous.[2]"

What wikipedia just said basically means someone either died or got sick literally to describe how this shit smells.
>>
>>8015377
This is what happens when companies forgo safety protocols.

you should sue OP I'm sure your lab and safety requirements were not up to spec
>>
>>8016302
this. any lab working with this shit should have a fucking glovebox. It's not the god damn 1970s
>>
>>8016302
better hurry up with that law suit, you don't have much time left OP
>>
>>8015377
At least you sought treatment early, so you still have a good chance of survival without (too much) permanent damage.

Tell me you did. You did. Right?
>>
File: lol.png (82KB, 215x200px) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
82KB, 215x200px
>>8016309
>dimethylmercury poisioning
>good chance of survival
>>
If only there was some other chemical you could eat that would take the mercury out of your body.

I heard the rip off holistic medicine industry says clay gets rid of mercury, probably a bold face lie but if you're desperate op you might want to try it out and then be horribly disappointed
>>
>>8015445
That is horrendous. Did it go through the boot or something? Is that what it does to flesh? I though it just absorbed into the skin.
>>
>>8015377
God: 1
Scientists: 0
>>
"...and if you can smell it, you're already dead. One tenth of a milliliter sends you down the long, painful road of acute mercury poisoning, which includes stomach pain, slurred speech, and eventually, becoming trapped in your own body before you die."
>>
Are there any sources other than >>8016283 that attribute it such a high toxicity? Because I highly doubt it's that lethal.
>>
I'd tell OP to screw some hookers but they end up getting mercury poisoning too
>>
File: burn.jpg (29KB, 601x350px) Image search: [Google]
burn.jpg
29KB, 601x350px
>>8016442
>>
>>8016452
???
>>
>>8016410
>Because I highly doubt it's that lethal
Come on, it's an organic Mercury compound how can it not be some of the vilest, most toxic shit.
>>
>>8015377
I feel with you, OP.
>>
>>8015377
If you're serious, and it's acute, you should consider suicide.

It will be incomparably superior to what you will experience.
>>
File: get-well-soon.jpg (414KB, 900x813px) Image search: [Google]
get-well-soon.jpg
414KB, 900x813px
Here's a nice article about Karen Wetterhahn, dimethylmercury and mercury in general.

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/dimethylmercury/dmmh.htm
>>
retard here,
why does mercury fuck people up? like... what's it actually doing in the body that fucks people up so badly?
>>
>>8016730
following
>>
>>8016730
I dunno, but apparently it's safe to eat as long as it doesn't evaporate.
>>
>>8016730
>retard here,
I can tell. There is this Internet service called 'Google'. You can put your question there, and it will give you lots of answers. Among them is often one by Wikipedia. That one is usually a safe bet for a first introduction. But since I don't want you to get lost on the Internet trying to find the answer, I will just give you a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_poisoning#Mechanism
>>
>>8016766
yes but why? why does it do all that? what's actually happening?
>>
>>8016730
Its a very potent neurotoxin
>>
>>8016796
wikipedia knows
>>
File: Glados.jpg (290KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Glados.jpg
290KB, 1024x768px
>>8016806
i guess that makes sense. so it just kinds of.... fucks you up?
>>
>>8016841
In the worse ways before killing you
>>
>>8016442
Just tell the hookers to
>wear 3 layers of silver shield gloves
>3 layers of lab coats
>full face respirator
>3 layers of easily removable pants
>2cm thick butyl rubber shoes
and don't forget to take off the boots after fucking.
>>
what makes dimethylmercury more toxic than plain mercury that you can play with with your bare hands?
>>
>>8015377
Things that didn't happen for 500
>>
>>8016922
>...
>>
>>8016899
>what makes dimethylmercury more toxic than plain mercury that you can play with with your bare hands?
organic compounds tend to be really, really, really unhealthy.
>>
You should have just worn some rubber gloves and not been such a pussy. Then you wouldn't have been so clumsy and knocked over the stand.
>>
>>8016198
She actually followed every single procedure. The extraordinary toxicity and ability to travel through latex gloves just wasn't known.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.