[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could someone explain to me what flat earthers believe the Earth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: flat-earth.jpg (80KB, 600x396px) Image search: [Google]
flat-earth.jpg
80KB, 600x396px
Could someone explain to me what flat earthers believe the Earth (and the greater universe) is like, and why? I know that they're idiots, but it is just wrecking my brain trying to imagine a universe where the Earth is flat.
>>
>>8014966
Their reasoning is that since the Earth feels like it's flat, it must be flat. Literally as simple as that. It's just an example of people oversimplifying things for their liking, like evolution or Earth-centrism or whatever.
>>
>>8014977

I get that, but when they consider what the universe is, or at least what physical existence is, what do they imagine it as?
>>
>>8014966
Because it is flat.
There is a invisible teleportation ring put in place by god to transport humans to the other side. It is to keep us contained within our planet.
>>
>>8014990
I don't imagine they think about that kind of stuff. Generally people believing in a flat Earth aren't academically gifted enough to think about those questions.
>>
>>8014977
Not OP, but I still don't understand it.

It's not making things "simpler" for them to say the earth is flat, A lot of their websites are filled with pseudoscience and conspiracy theories to support their notion that the earth is flat. It's actually making things more complicated for them.

I think it has more to do with a psychological need for superiority and control. It's the same reason people believe in conspiracy theories in general. They can't accept the chaotic randomness of life, or how otherwise inconsequential people/events can have such catastrophic repercussions (Oswald, 9/11 hijackers, Sandy Hook, etc.). They feel more comfortable believing that there is a higher power/purpose being all this (government, Illuminati, aliens, etc.). It ALSO gives them the illusion of superiority - the belief that they are privy to some huge "truth" and that everyone else is "sheep." I think this latter component is why flat earthers invest so much time and emotion into their arguments. Same can be said for hyper-religious people, for that matter.
>>
>>8014966
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestial_sphere

It's an archaic idea, but humans use to believe the stars were points on a sphere that engulfed us as we didn't have the precision or instrumentation to work out that the distances to stars were so far. Not being able to measure the distance, one would naturally assume a small object is small, as there is no perspective scaling factor without distance.

As for everything else that would be physically impossible, there's usually an ad-hoc explanation that is invalid. I personally find it funny, why get mad at someone you couldn't possibly take seriously?
>>
>>8015034
That's a reasonable assumption, desu. I haven't met anyone who actually believes in it, so I don't really have all that much to go on other than my sense of what logically might happen, but I think you're right.
>>
If the earth was flat would the sky be filled with planes?
>>
>>8015048
ONly an assumption, but yeah - makes sense to me. It's not all my theory though - I've read several articles on the psychology of people who believe in conspiracy theories - I was just parroting a lot of those.
>>
>>8014990
I've got a friend who is a flat earther.

The Earth is a floating disc in space, Antarctica completely surrounds the earth and it's never been explored. It's either impassable or the government kills anyone who tries. Gravity doesn't exist, or the Coriolis effect. The sun is much closer to the earth and day and night are explained by a sort of 'spotlight' effect.

Said friend lives near the ocean and when asked about ships sinking below the horizon he claims he's never seen it happen in real life.

I don't think it's a coincidence that he started doing drugs and getting hardcore into conspiracy theories around the same time. What's really curious to me is why there would ever be some sort of grand conspiracy to cover this up. How the fuck does anybody benefit from duping the entire world into believing the 'round-earth model'? Never got an explanation for that one.
>>
Earth is actually concave

https://youtu.be/7FcvtZFXOu8
>>
>>8015286

his voice is so calming.
>>
You're overestimating flat-earth believers. You're imposing your rational cause and effect world-view onto people who have no problem believing ghosts exist, because it feels good to them to think so.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.