[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm sure many of us here grew up with Bill Nye in some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

File: wIGnl73l.jpg (144KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
wIGnl73l.jpg
144KB, 1252x1252px
So I'm sure many of us here grew up with Bill Nye in some form, and for some of us he may have even been a big influence on our interest in science, but do we all agree that he needs to STFU?

He's knowledgeable and his heart is in the right place, but he's not an authority and shouldn't be treated as one. He routinely says things that are just plain wrong. But a lot of people (even those more educated than he is) don't want to undermine him because of politics.
>>
File: sarah-palin-1024.jpg (193KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
sarah-palin-1024.jpg
193KB, 1024x768px
Even Sarah Palin called him out on being an engineer and popsci tv show host and not an actual scientist.

Is Sarah Palin now /sci/?
>>
>>8009959
Remember how hot she was 8 years ago lol?
>>
>>8009962
No. I remember how I saw ancient pics of her that were hot but since I haven't been brainwashed by feminists and the MILF-meme to pursue menopausal women I never found her hot during her political career.
>>
>>8009981
>he doesn't like MILFs
Got mommy issues bro?
>>
I've been saying this forever. He only has a BS Mech Engineering, yet he routinely runs his mouth about Biology and Climate Science.

Especially when he said race does not exist, and an actual expert evolutionary biologist (Dawkins) says it does.
>>
>>8009985
kek
That is not how that works.
>>
>>8009952
Anyone worth any consideration of credibility in an intellectual discussion will understand the concept of bias.

I can get behind the idea of pop-sci and even the inaccurate exaggerations made from time to time by people like Bill Nye and black science man because it ultimately influences more people into STEM, and the potential intellectuals will learn to discern between sensationalized information and the real deal.

So the only people that matter see the reality of the situation. Fags who get their feelings hurt by some anti-creationist rhetoric and big dick swinging scientific elitism are unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

No, I don't consider him an authority, and neither does anyone with any comprehension of logic and credibility.
>>
hes also the ceo of the planetary society
>>
>>8010011
It's not a private company so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>8009959
She called him out because she's a climate change denier, which makes her a literal retard whose opinion isn't worth reading
>>
>>8009952
I saw him give a lecture at ASU on the future of space travel with four people who each had more advanced degrees than him. He distinctly talked over each and even interrupted them several times with little jokes and of course the whole audience (myself included) was like "HAHAHAHAHA THE SCIENCE GUY SAID STUFF"

Anyway, yeah. I agree with>>8010005
Ultimately, he's doing a good thing. He doesn't need to stfu, but someone should put him in his place a bit, just on a personal level.
>>
>>8010049
Prove the climate is changing and the weather isn't just hotter.
>>
>>8010157
You're on /sci/ and you don't know how to find and read peer-reviewed papers?
>>
>>8010178
You're on /sci/ and think correlation = causation?

Besides:
>a few fractions of a degree
>muh major climate change we are all going to die
>>
>>8010188
Here we go... This thread is about to be derailed.

Also, you are stupid.
>>
>>8010212
http://townhall.com/columnists/johnhawkins/2014/02/18/5-scientific-reasons-that-global-warming-isnt-happening-n1796423/page/full
>>
>>8010250
You link a political opinion piece by a non-scientist to support your claim? Ridiculous and embarrassing for you, try harder.
>>
File: 1460228090843.gif (561KB, 119x152px) Image search: [Google]
1460228090843.gif
561KB, 119x152px
>>8010188
>>a few fractions of a degree
>>muh major climate change we are all going to die

you realize that global temperature shifting 1 degree is significant right? and that weather is not climate?

like, do you know what it means to affect global temperature? it's not a matter of "we're getting hotter a tiny bit", it's a matter of what cycle we're going through. the earth has 20k+ year- long cycles and the ice age isn't even the biggest part of it. thinking we aren't a detriment is just stupid. you're a memer and a baiter. fucking christ. imagine if people like you said shit like "muh plane is heavier than air can't fly duh", we'd still be going on boats to continents. i hope you choke on air.
>>
>>8010265
Yeah, never mind the links in the points about the relevant studies
>>
So all of this was just so OP could try and shoehorn AGW denier rhetoric into the thread.

This thread is shit. SHUT IT DOWN.
>>
File: trendsince1997.png (6KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
trendsince1997.png
6KB, 640x480px
>>8010250
>1) There hasn't been any global warming since 1997
Lie. See pic.

>2) There is no scientific consensus that global warming is occurring and caused by man
Lie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveys_of_scientists%27_views_on_climate_change

>3) Arctic ice is up 50% since 2012
Lie.

http://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/images/daily_images/N_stddev_timeseries.png

>4) Climate models showing global warming have been wrong over and over
Lie.

http://www.climate-lab-book.ac.uk/comparing-cmip5-observations/

>5) Predictions about the impact of global warming have already been proven wrong
Lie. The only "predictions" given are by Al Gore, a non-scientist, and James Hansen, who made a prediction for 2028. The third point, that arctic sea ice may enter a point of no return, is not a prediction at all.
>>
>>8009952
Nope I had Mr Wizard from Nickolodeon in the mid-80s. Fuck off with your Bill Nye bullshit. Guy is a total tool IRL.
>>
>>8010478
>I had Mr Wizard from Nickolodeon in the mid-80s
Sounds gay, like the 80s in general.
>>
File: 0 Warming 19 years.jpg (110KB, 800x372px) Image search: [Google]
0 Warming 19 years.jpg
110KB, 800x372px
>>8010306
>>>8010250
>>1) There hasn't been any global warming since 1997
>Lie. See pic.
You lie. See pic
>>
File: Propaganda vs Science.png (161KB, 407x309px) Image search: [Google]
Propaganda vs Science.png
161KB, 407x309px
>>8010306
>>2) There is no scientific consensus that global warming is occurring and caused by man
>Lie.
You lie. Only 0.3% actually supported AGW.
>>
File: Predict vs Measure.png (108KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Predict vs Measure.png
108KB, 1440x1080px
>>8010306
>>4) Climate models showing global warming have been wrong over and over
>Lie.
>http://www.climate-lab-book.ac.uk/comparing-cmip5-observations/
You lie, utter failure of predictions.
>>
>>8010306
>>5) Predictions about the impact of global warming have already been proven wrong
>Lie. The only "predictions" given are by Al Gore, a non-scientist, and James Hansen, who made a prediction for 2028. The third point, that arctic sea ice may enter a point of no return, is not a prediction at all.
You lie: https://wattsupwiththat.com/reference-pages/climatic-phenomena-pages/extreme-weather-page/
>>
>>8010974
what about orbital forcing?
>>
File: Lawrence-Krauss-HS[1].jpg (34KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
Lawrence-Krauss-HS[1].jpg
34KB, 220x220px
I actually sympathize with Bill Nye because he's usually trying really hard to be polite and reasonable with people who are complete obnoxious faggots and take pride in ignorance. This is unrelated to AGW.

I think the real shitface is this kraut cunt. He can't shut up with his terrible bad jokes and contant political inserts in the middle of science talks. He just recites other researchers stuff in his books and had zero contributions so far. I thought Neil DeGrasse was bad until I saw this tard.

Watch his complete incompetence and inability to string a single sentence together against very basic questions.

https://youtu.be/YUe0_4rdj0U?t=4791
>>
>>8010997
bill nye IS ignorant.
>>
>>8010997
It takes an incredible amount of restraint I guess not to do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcJ0YIqnD50
>>
I only enjoyed Carl Sagan. The rest of science popularizers are insufferable ultra positivistic cunts.
>>
>>8011009
> Bill Nye cursing
D':
>>
>>8009952
Both he and meme black man are kind of overrated.
>>
File: 632925011.jpg (11KB, 295x377px) Image search: [Google]
632925011.jpg
11KB, 295x377px
>>8009952
>go on normiebook
>see Sarah Palin and Bill Nye in the news
>check it out
>Sarah Palin calls out Bill Nye for not being a scientist
>Comments all respond saying how Bill Nye is a scientist because he talks about science stuff
>Someone cites his mechanical engineering bachelors degree as proof that he's a scientist
>>
>>8009952
He's just another government scientist meme.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.