[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he the next Nikola Tesla? https://www.youtube.com/watch?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 13

File: DUDE.png (1002KB, 1295x923px) Image search: [Google]
DUDE.png
1002KB, 1295x923px
Is he the next Nikola Tesla?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eak_ogYMprk
>>
>>8007901
Seriously how did Reddit actually get elected as the president of a country?
>>
>>8007906
because people were sick of harper so much they wanted literally anyone else, and through strategic voting NDP got cucked and now we have the liberals in charge (trudeau).
>>
>>8007921
The one time the NDP had the best candidate. Too bad the rest of the party is utter garbage. I really hate how we can't vote for the PM separately. The system was cucked from the get go. This shit just hands over power to one party in instances like this.
>>
>>8007925
Your "best candidate" just got voted out this week as leader of his party.
>>
>>8007925
fuck the NDP
buncha commie piece of shits
Conservative better start being an actual right wing party or they will forever be irrelevant
They killed themselves with mass immigration though
>>
>>8007901
>president
>>
>>8007901
>alright professor sandeep, put a bunch of random ass equations on the board so it looks like I know what I'm talking about
>>
>>8007901
>I've never taken any university level science course: the video
>>
Watch what news outlets say about this. Fuck. This is not healthy for my blood pressure.
>>
>mfw he graduated from my university

Fuck this gay earth
>>
>>8007901
> encode more information into a smaller

lel can you imagine being the students behind him, having just spent a couple hours talking all about this with him, and then seeing him thoroughly misunderstand it in a public statement and being unable say or do anything except smile and nod?
>>
Are we really getting butt-blasted about the PM not understanding quantum computing as well as actual physicists? Even if he did, should he have burst into a 30 minute, in-depth autism-fueled explanation in the middle of a televised media scrum?

At least this government actually seems to give a slight fuck about science funding in Canada, which is a welcome change from the conservatives
>>
>>8008063
>at least they're better than absolute shit
lol, and btw the science minister is a moron. She spent 10 years on a hunt for the Spanish flu after virologists told her spend those years studying virology to find out why your waste of money project is a waste of money. She also champions some quackery cure for MS. Literally as bad as having a AGW denialist as environmental minister. Oh well at least we have gender parity even though it was obtained through discrimination.
>>
>they elected a fucking Drama teacher
Come on, Canada. Get your shit together.

$10 says the person who asked the question was a hired shill and Trudeau was given a scripted answer. That is literally what modern politicians do in today's age of extreme political deceit and corruption.
>>
>>8007901
Can someone explain to me how his explanation is wrong
I know he didn't really go in depth about it, but he gleaned the surface which was enough I think
>>
>>8007901
wow he looks so smart with that blackboard behind him and talking about quantum stuff.
>>
>>8008081
this
he gave a broad description
>>
>>8008070
Any improvement is better than no improvement. The whole reason he was at the University of Waterloo in the first place was to announce $12M in funding for the Southern Ontario Water Consortium. They also announced theyre investing $20M into building a new advanced cell therapeutics centre in Toronto a few months back.

and yeah, the current minister of science is pretty shit-tier, but better than the evolution-denying creationist minster we had a couple years ago. so ill take "better than absolute shit" over "still absolute shit", even if it involves the occasional pop-science sound bite from the PM.
>>
I would love to see how much better trump explains quantum computing, oh wait he knows even less about science than an avreage popsci reader
>>
>>8008126
Idk, posturing as pro-science can actually be more damaging.
>>
>>8008127
>Trump
>"oh wait"
>>//tumblr//
>>
>>8008127
You can't know less than nothing, anon.
>>
>>8008133
"Durrrrrr quantium mekanix says we can know everyhting and nothign at the same time durr"
>>
>>8008135
Michio is that really you?
>>
>>8008136
I am both michio and you at the same time
>>
>>8008139
>blown == mind
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NbBjNiw4tk
lookat all the brainlets detected
>>
>>8008128
What makes you think theyre just posturing? the 2016 budget has allotted a shitload of funding to R&D regarding clean energy tech.

>Budget 2016 provides more than $1 billion over four years, beginning in 2017-18, to support clean technology, including in the forestry, mining and energy sectors.
>$82.5 million to support research, development and demonstration of clean energy technologies.
>$62.5 million to support the deployment of infrastructure for alternative transportation fuels.
>$2.5 million to facilitate regional dialogues and studies that identify the most promising electricity infrastructure projects.
>$50 million to invest in technologies that will reduce greenhouse gas emissions from the oil and gas sector.
>$128.8 million over five years, starting in 2016-17, to deliver energy efficiency policies and programs, and maintain clean energy policy capacity.

I worked at both NRCan and the DND while Harper was PM and this is a HUGE change
>>
>>8008155
Because they probably are, none of them are scientifically literate to start. Listing numbers to broad categories like that doesn't ensure the money isn't going to solar roadways and other quackery. Solar roadways promise clean energy and all that but are complete bullshit. But popsci plebs eat it up.

I'd just be careful to start celebrating so soon. Especially given the red flags.
>>
>>8007901
DAE 175 IQ?
>>
>>8008155
How much of a nepotist was Harper actually?
>>
>>8007906
Because since Canada is using the shitty First Past the Post voting system, you only need to have the three major cities of Canada (1/3 of the Canadian population is living in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver) to vote for you. Then, when you win more jurisdictions, it's icing on the cake. That fucker got voted in with a majority on only 38% of the popular vote.

https://youtu.be/s7tWHJfhiyo
>>
>>8007921
>strategic voting

good lord, i keep forgetting these imbeciles exist in my country
>>
>>8008229
First pas the post means that the winner is going to have power directly instead of having to make deals with other parties.

It's both an advantage and disadvantage since changes come quicker which can turn out good but also bad
>>
Come on, he is not the "next Nicola Tesla". What he said wasn't even that smart, and he didn't explain that that "extra information" comes with challenges due to its probabilistic nature which would have been very easy to do (I just did it). Note that I'm 14.
>>
>>8008081
this. 35 posts in and nobody has explained why he doesn't know that much.
>>
File: 1457636014006.jpg (51KB, 457x480px) Image search: [Google]
1457636014006.jpg
51KB, 457x480px
>there are more variables that determine the position of the location of a particle in orbit than whether a wire is hot or cold

give this man a fields medal
>>
>>8008130
Thats an amazing argument senpai, keep up your good retoric
>>
>>8008133
If you staunchly believe in something false and think it is knowledge, this is worse than being ignorant of the truth.
>>
>>8008344

>encode much more information into a smaller computer

That part and some of the other thoughts he had about what using qubits meant are kind of stupid. If you are super interpretative you could maybe stretch that to being accurate.

The reality isn't space saving, but the fact you can do things that otherwise take exponential time like integer factorization "quickly". Which is done by some quantum magic bullshit that I won't pretend to understand.

What's exciting about quantum computers is the speed up it can have on specific algorithms.
>>
>>8008324
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS
>>
>>8008366
>slowing things down so you figure out where they are is "magic"
>>
>>8008366
My question is does it speed up any algorithms that are known to have a worst case of exponential time?
>>
>>8008324
I wonder how Feynman would have explained it.
>>
>>8008439
he already gave an example: integer factorization
>>
>>8009246
what's the difference between a problem taking exponential time and being in NP? Why does solving this not imply P=NP?
>>
>>8009432
Because P is not the same set as quantum P.

Or rather, P is not defined the same way as quantum P right now, and we don't know if they're actually the same set or not.
>>
>>8009465
I'm a little unclear here.

What complexity class does integer factorization fall in? Are you saying it falls in quantum P? By definition it'll also fall in P.

So if my understanding is right (it falls in quantum P) then the question is whether Quantum P = NP correct?

What is Quantum P anyway, class of effectively solvable problems in polynomial time via Quantum Computer?
>>
>>8009465
sublte
>>
>>8009510
>quantum P is in P
no
>>
>>8009518
OK- then my understanding is not clear.

What complexity class is it in?
>>
>>8009522
quantum P is exactly in quantum P
>>
>>8009539
thanks
>>
We're never getting the weed, are we?
>>
I don't even dislike Trudeau but this video perfectly crystallises my deep aversion to pop-science. I genuinely couldn't give a shit. Go rigorous or go home.
>>
>>8008366
Well the main reason quantum algorithms speed up because the qubits process more information by working I'm superpositions of multiple states so he's not terribly far off when he talks about encoding more info into less bits.

He gave a general idea of what it is and made it sound kind of interesting to laymen, sure some of the physics was iffy but anyone interested enough to investigate further can easily iron those bits out themselves. I mean props to him, he probably only had a crash course in it that day.
>>
>>8008081
Glean means extract you dolt.
>>
File: b12.png (69KB, 250x225px) Image search: [Google]
b12.png
69KB, 250x225px
>>8008135
hehe boobies
>>
>>8009698
I'm not really using the word wrong
He extracted the surface of it means that he explained a small part of it without getting very deep
Don't start a semantics battle, especially over something this dumb
>>
File: 123123.gif (203KB, 400x356px) Image search: [Google]
123123.gif
203KB, 400x356px
>>8008135
>>
>>8009622
fuck the legal weed I want the basic income project to get going
>>
>>8008363
>>//tumblr//
>>
>>8009644
He majored in drama and the question was staged. He is basically a kind of cold fusion shill, QC has not much of a future, mostly theoretical hype. The Perimeter Institute is just one of hundreds of global governance think tanks in the Waterloo area and this is obvious pork barreling and crony capitalism obfuscating the fact Trudeau II's primary objective is to rack up as much federal debt as possible to the Swiss bankers before the Canadian people figure out they are rubes and he gets ousted from office with pitchforks. The fruit never falls far from the tree and a young Canadian electorate had no idea what they installed, basically a Bush II, not that there was a choice, there never is anymore.
>>
>>8009998
Ouch
>>
>>8010074
Yeah. Ouch
>>
>>8000000
>>
>>8007901
DUDE
>>
>>8007901
Did Weedman actually write all those equations? What do they even mean?
>>
>>8010088
Feminism + Weed = (Cuck)2
>>
>>8010088
kek
>>
If we are rigorous. What is wrong what that guy says? The part that explains how a classical computer seems legit, but then just say any nonsense. Do the quantum states can be particles and waves at once? that he said is completely nonsense. Another mistake is clear when he says that you can have more information in a smaller space, that has nothing to do with the objectives of quantum computing.

The guy is just being charismatic, has a blackboard full of equations and echo of the press, has merit for saying something that perhaps 99.99% of the population could not, but his political rhetoric is standard, perhaps not understood what he said because he just explained, is totally ridiculous what has been done viral video, to some physicists they have said that this right what he said.
>>
>>8007901
It's cool he knows the laymen basics, lots of people won't even give it a real wikipedia look.
Still, it's always something in the news with this guy. He seems to do a lot of things except manage Canada
>>
>>8008127
trudeau is the trump of canada

he's 99% pointless theatrics and 1% politics
>>
>>8007925
>Best Candidate.

The only good thing that i can say about Trudeau is that he isn't NDP. The only way Canada could be worse is if they got in.
>>
>>8007901
>"as we know, things can be both particle and wave at the same time"

*CROUD GOES WILD*

Jesus, he's not even right. I don't know which is sadder: him not knowing what superpositions are, the people who explained it to him not knowing what they are, or the people listening to him in the conference and online thinking that he just explained quantum computing.

The tl;dr of this video should be, "PM thinks that superposition means that something is a particle and wave at the same time, and that's what quantum computers use."
>>
>Is an obvious layman
>Gives an oversimplified layman answer when asked about it
> /sci/ spergs out
> ??
>>
>>8008127
Quantum computers are wonderful, just tremendous, tremendous technology. I'll tell you what, in America, we're going to have the best computers, okay? Believe me, I know some very smart people, working on quantum computers, the smartest people, they tell me "Donald, when we have quantum computers, it's going to be huge, just tremendous." I'll tell you what, folks, encryption? We won't have to worry about that any more, okay? We'll have tremendous power to break encryption, just tremendous power, the terrorists won't even know what hit them, we'll be catching them so fast you'll be tired of hearing about it, okay? And we'll be safe, so safe, folks. You know no one cares more about safety than me, and we're going to make America great again.
>>
>>8010878
Kek.
>>
>>8010878
>Trump confirmed for browsing /sci/
MAGA
>>
>>8007901
>le quantum physics meme
>>
All he had to do was say superposition instead of that other babble about a photon.
>>
>>8010878
that was 10/10
>>
>>8010878
9/10
>>
File: 1453118119725.jpg (35KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1453118119725.jpg
35KB, 500x333px
>>8010878
nice
>>
>>8007901
DUDE WEED, DUDE QUANTUMS,
This guy is a joke, he barely knows what he is talking about, the retarded mob even less.
Quantum are good in the theory, binary system is based on 1's and 0's, which 5 volts or 0 volts stored in 1 bit, Quantum states more possibilities but the voltage fluctuations would make this system very hard to apply in real life procesors , a 1 is supposed to be 5 volts but in reality is often 4 volts, 3 volts or even 7 volts.
This is even more complicated if you want to perform logical operations such as AND OR NAND NOR XOR, etc. Quantum is even less compatible with optic fiber which is basically light on and off.
Quantum is a continuum variable, truly damn hard to apply unlike discrete variables.
The fact people praises this clown makes me sick, also a lot of salt against Trump in the comment section.
>>
>>8008038
This
>>
File: 14455537597.png (243KB, 540x450px) Image search: [Google]
14455537597.png
243KB, 540x450px
>>8012020
Finally someone who knows about topic.

>>8010878
>mfw
>>
>>8012118
>Finally someone who knows about topic.
Maybe about classical bits, but their statements about quantum information and qubit implementation makes them sound like a flaming moron.
>>
>>8012020
>quantum hard to apply with photonic
haha, look at this brainlet
>implying light intensity can't be used as a continuous representation.
>>
>>8012020
>a 1 is supposed to be 5 volts but in reality is often 4 volts, 3 volts or even 7 volts.
What the hell are you talking about? The whole point of qubits is that they have two well defined eigenstates that represent the one and the zero, any uncertainty is going to come from stuff like decoherence rather than "overshooting" the states (well that technically can happen in atomic and ionic qubits but not in the way you're saying). Also for most usable qubit systems saying 5V is a 1 doesn't even make sense, ionic and atomic qubits use excited states, super/semiconducting qubits use presence of charge or direction of current and spin uses spin up and spin down.

>This is even more complicated if you want to perform logical operations such as AND OR NAND NOR XOR, etc.
Performing quantum logic operations is tricky yeah but since you just reeled off a bunch of classical gates I get the feeling you don't you know much about quantum gates. I mean a CNOT gate is sort of analogous to the XOR operation but it kind of does more than that.

>Quantum is even less compatible with optic fiber which is basically light on and off.
Holy shit dude, optical quantum information processing is an active area of research, do your homework before you start chatting shit. Polarisation is a quantum state which can exist in superposition and be used as qubit states (e.g. 0=vertical, 1=horizontal).

>Quantum is a continuum variable, truly damn hard to apply unlike discrete variables.
It's continuum but it becomes discrete when you measure it, that's what makes it so difficult, you need to design your algorithms so you're likely to get the right discrete state when you take your readout.

Don't go bashing people's understanding of something that you barely seem to grasp yourself.

>>8012118
>Finally someone who knows about topic.
Just because they said some words and smugly dismissed a layman's iffy explanation doesn't mean they know what they're talking about.
>>
>>8012292
What a fucking retard, do you how impossible is to this is in real life, do know you how many times light commute in an optic-sensor?
Shut your whore-hole and stop making yourself look like a fucking retard.
>>
>>8010878
9/11
>>
>>8007901
Someone should shoop a "I believe in Harvey Dent" Sign to that backdrop
>>
>>8012020
Like seriously dude, your explanation is worse than Trudeau's and reads like a fucking Trump speech (not a good thing).

At least he managed to touch on the main appeal of quantum computing without going too far into stuff he didn't understand and tripping over himself.
>>
File: 1459866269761.jpg (20KB, 258x245px)
1459866269761.jpg
20KB, 258x245px
>>8012342
>Igetallthisfromwikipedia.jpg
I work with this kid, if things were like they are in your fantasy bubble mind, quantum algorithms would have been implemented decades ago.
>>
>>8012355
this, bring on the memes
>>
>>8012374
What have you published then?

>if things were like they are in your fantasy bubble mind, quantum algorithms would have been implemented decades ago
I never said any of this was easy, dog but they have implemented Shor's algo in the past though, just not to a useful degree.
>>
>>8012374
First, quantum algorithms have been implemented. Second, if "qunatum is a continuum variable" sounds like anything approaching an explanation of the difficulty of defining qubits, you are as much a flaming moron as >>8012020. The problem with qubit implementations is not "quantum is a continuum variable," but that dephasing due to environmental noise destroys encoded information, which quantum error correction and topological schemes aim to overcome.
>>
>>8012442
Have you tried filtering to increase the SNR? ;)
>>
>>8012442
This guy gets it

If anything, quantum systems existing in a continuous superposition (different to them being a continuous variable) is the most useful part rather than the obstacle. Quantum algorithms explicitly use it to their advantage rather than try to avoid it.

>>8012445
There actually is some shit you can do to gate implementations that reduce the effects of errors on the system parameters. It's not so much a filter but it does reduce the "noise" i.e. it increases the fidelity.
>>
>>8012442
>Second, if "qunatum is a continuum variable" sounds like anything approaching an explanation of the difficulty of defining qubits,
And what is "continuous quantum computation"?
>>
File: Uguu.jpg (258KB, 679x623px) Image search: [Google]
Uguu.jpg
258KB, 679x623px
>>8012349
its "hard"
>muh subjective opinion
became "impossible" for the sake of your argument

>do know you how many times light commute in an optic-sensor
vague as fuck; I can't even respond using the google; do you?

No u, shut your whore-mouth ma'am
>>
>>8008155
>the 2016 budget has allotted a shitload of funding to R&D regarding clean energy tech.
Spending money we don't have to propagandize against one of Canada's most important export products and funnel money to croneys. Lovely.
>>
>>8012555
>No arguments
>Animeshit
>>
>>8008127
the canuck was prepd for that question. just like obama was prepd for googles sorting algorithm question in 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4RRi_ntQc8
atleast obama didnt stutter like a dumb fuck. but its pretty much the same situation.
>be doing tech promotion/interview
>set up tech question to be asked
>wow audience with you tech knowledge with rehearsed answer
>>
>>8008155
>allocating money to clean energy
unless its going to nuclear its a fucking waste.
>>
Quick question... Did Nikola Tesla have any weird behavior about him like most breakthrough geniuses of the past did? Poison consumption, etc...
>>
File: weed minister.jpg (474KB, 1970x1200px) Image search: [Google]
weed minister.jpg
474KB, 1970x1200px
>>8007921
Basically this. We're probably better off without Harper and Trudeau hasn't been too awful aside from his "DUDE! WEED!" antics.
>>
>>8012763
Scratch that, the guy can be a complete fucking cuck and I loathe his whole MUH REFUGEE shtic. Past that, I don't mind him.
>>
>>8012766
His refugee proposals were well thought out.
He didn't rush into it at the whims of the extreme left but pushed back the deadline to better screen them.
>>
>>8012780
I wasn't aware of this, I remember his initial response being awfully headstrong. Thank you anon for informing me.
>>
>>8012746
He was really passionate about pigeons.
>>
>>8012795
So normal as far as geniuses go.
>>
>>8012746
Nikola Tesla had unmatched visual thinking ability. He talked about being able to set up machines in his mind and simulate them for long periods of time. Basically he some freak ability to do aided design in his head and completely simulate anything electrical.

Quotes:
He describes in his autobiography how he was able to visualize a particular apparatus and was then able to actually test run the apparatus, disassemble it and check for proper action and wear!

During the manufacturing phase of his inventions, he would work with all blueprints and specifications in his head. The invention invariably assembled together without redesign and worked perfectly.

Tesla slept one to 2 hours a day and worked continuously on his inventions and theories without benefit of ordinary relaxation or vacations. He could judge the dimension of an object to a hundredth of an inch and perform difficult computations in his head without benefit of slide rule or mathematical tables.

---------------------------------------------

Basically Tesla was an extraordinary genius. He also went insane later in life and cut his balls off along with being completely unable to accept Einstein's theories.
>>
File: oshit.png (125KB, 500x436px) Image search: [Google]
oshit.png
125KB, 500x436px
>>8010878
I'm dying
>>
>>8008324
solid b8
>>
>>8007901
Nice b8 m8 pls elabor8
>>
>>8010878
9/10
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.