[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm teaching Algebra I next week to the "troubled kids."

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (65KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 250x250px
I'm teaching Algebra I next week to the "troubled kids." How fucked am I? Any tips for keeping or getting their attention?
>>
File: tumblr_mmg0ss992s1rlo1q2o1_500.jpg (84KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mmg0ss992s1rlo1q2o1_500.jpg
84KB, 500x281px
Balancing an equation is like balancing your life homes.
Lifes is like full of mysteries, and like, sometimes you have to solve for x.
But you gotta learn the correct order to do things in homes.
>>
>>8005974
Use a graphing first approach. Have each member of the class come up and plot one point on the board until a line begins to form, conveying the idea that a line is just an infinite number of points, and that algebra is just about relations.
>>
troubled kids as in troublemakers or slow people ?
>>
>>8005974
Do funny exercises, I once had to calculate the probability that a heroin user in an ambulance has aids, I laughed my ass off.
>>
>>8006039
This. Just be careful you don't over-do it and end up getting in trouble.

Even still, don't expect to completely "reech dese keeds". You could do the best job anybody possibly could and still feel like you fucked it up because those kids are just such arseholes.
>>
Why are they troubled? Engage them, make them work in groups. Students like to work in groups.
>>
File: breaking bad, apply yourself.jpg (18KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
breaking bad, apply yourself.jpg
18KB, 600x338px
>>8006063
>Engage them
He's asking [math]how[/math], dumbass.

>make them work in groups
They'll just talk to each other and encourage each other to do dumb shit.
>>
>>8005974
Tell them how beautiful maths is.
Write on the board
[math]e^{i\pi}=-1[/math]
They'll be fucking rapt by then
>>
>>8006099
>you mean numbers are imaginary?
>math is stupid!
>>
>>8005974
I'd say start out with simple stuff like Noetherian Modules, then maybe move on to slightly more advanced topics like the Nullstellensatz, and I think by the end of the first day you should have at least defined Affine Schemes.
>>
>>8006414
this
>>
>>8006099
>What does i equal?
>It's just an imaginary number?
>Ugggh when will we use this irl?!
>>
>>8005974
Avoid groups at all cost.
Show them how a good education will make them rich and safe and better off than if they were in a gang.
>>
>>8006414
This, blow them the fuck out of the water and make them feel bad and inferior for being "at trouble youth"
>>
>>8006065
Did you write how in latec?
>>
>>8005974
Don't care

the "troubled" kids don't have any troubles other than being little shitheads who are dead-set on not learning a thing in school.

The only thing anyone accomplishes by trying to make bad students do well is raising their blood pressure
>>
How high is the percentage of people of color in that group?
>>
Show them the Barnett integral and youll have them passionate in math in no time
>>
Thanks for those who gave some good feedback I appreciate. I can't not care, I'm being paíd. Also by troubled I meant kids who were disruptive in regular classes so they rounded them all up and I have them ALL in one class now. Lucky me.
>>
>>8006653
>implying they don't already feel that way
>>
>>8007004
This is retarded because they all influence each other to fuck around for kicks and giggles. They need to be isolated, not stuck in 1 room.

T.ex troubled youth
>>
>>8007004
I'll be impressed if anyone learns anything. It's going to be tough, anon.
>>
>>8006649
Good response. This is OP btw. Fun fact 90% of my students are from low income homes. They are small minorities and some don't speak English. Also they've mostly all failed the state Algebra test once already. No ignorant comments about them being minorities please. FWIW there are some kids who speak no English but can still dominate the best students in all levels of math. It's more about behavioral issues and coming from homes where no one's gone to college before. Again, thanks.
>>
>>8007016
I agree. Wasn't my choice anon.

Also ALL minorities not
>>
>>8007027
Sorry typing on crap phone with autocorrect.
>>
Also, as much as I love to fool around on 4Chan like the rest of us, IRL I do want these kids to value education and break the cycle of poverty. I'm a realist. I know you can't win them all but that doesn't mean you don't at least give it a good shot to save a few.
>>
>>8007027

Last piece of advice. Don't let them think you're weak. You need to establish that you're strict and will not take any fucking around. The first 5 minutes they'll know whether they can fuck you around or not.

Threaten to phone their parents in class and actually do it if they persist.

Most of the kids will be retards. One or two will be bright or a bit above average, with the potential to achieve something, but they are being stifled by their shitty upbringing and the maladaptive behavior they've adopted (which from their point of view is not maladaptive).

t. ex-troubled kid.
>>
>>8007053
Great advice. Thank you.
>>
There's probably going to be higher social pressure to make sure you're a chad and not to look like a dork, so try not to do stuff when everybody's together, e.g go through homework problems with those who want to learn in one on one

Give them your college email

If they get something wrong, don't point it out in public. Being " troubled " often stems from insecurity. One on one or email again

I'd probably say avoid groups like has been said before. Or, mix groups up so friends aren't with friends. Include prizes like less homework for class challenges. Make sure it's all non-patronising and cool, irony and satire is probably not going to work with them,theyll laugh at you instead of with you

Show applications. Should come as no surprise. I'm not American so I don't know what algebra I is, but always apply things to real life, especially trades if some of the kids aren't particularly academically advanced . You are the man holding the donut in front of them so they get a hunger for knowledge and start eating their vegetables

Be firm, but also compassionate and approachable. Don't retaliate. You hopefully are already seen as not a dick and reasonable, so those who want to learn will come to you. Those who don't, keep convincing them or separate them. If you can't separate them idk lol
>>
>>8005974
>>8005982
As my secondary school teacher explained to us, balancing an equation is like having two fat chicks on a see-saw. Having two fat chicks on one side and none on the other will cause it to tilt to one side.

However, having two on both sides balances it out.
>>
>>8005974
Start by showing them some simple but fun/interesting proofs. Be sure to instruct them well with axioms and definitions.
>>
>>8005974
keep it simple , the slowly build add on more complexity.

literally say "this " + "this" = "this thing" Because "this shit here"

basically keep the math vocab simple and they will understand find
>>
why am I picturing Wildberger attempting to teach algebra to a group of troubled inner city kids?
>>
>>8006676
>latec
>>
>>8006099
what is e?
what is π?
what is i?
why is this important?
you're boring.
>>
>>8008029
because you spend to much time on /sci/. please take a break
>>
>>8006642
>when will i use imaginary numbers?
when you count how many fathers you have, tyrone
>>
>>8005974
make sure to emphasize how algebra is really easy in every lesson. troubled kids are lazy so you need to make it seem like the lessons are below their intelligence (and the lessons probably are below their intelligence since algebra is that easy).

if things start going to shit for some reason, separate the weak from the strong and focus on teaching the more intelligent ones of the bunch. focusing on the intelligent students results in an impetus to learning for the lower intelligence students. they won't give up completely and falling behind will make them appear weaker to fellow classmates.
>>
Make sure to knock out the toughest looking student as soon as you see him.

Not only will this establish you as the defacto alpha male, but you will probably also make any girls in the class want to sleep with you.
>>
>>8008029
It's the reals that are keeping them down, thanks common core
>>
>>8008372
This

You'll probably also get free drugs
>>
What kind of troubled are we talking about? Niggers? Delinquents? Retards?

If they're just bad at math you should try to give them as little work as possible since they probably abhor math due to all the bullshit homework they're getting, like
>solve 100 tasks in ur math book
or something like that, try to keep the lesson on the blackboard

in the case of niggers and delinquents you're fucked, I'm sorry
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.