[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I were to count for an infinite amount of time, what number

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

File: infinitysymbolbw.jpg (3KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
infinitysymbolbw.jpg
3KB, 290x174px
If I were to count for an infinite amount of time, what number could I count up to?
>>
depends on how you are counting
>>
>>8003757
One number per second, for simplicity.
>>
>>8003758
Then you could count to one, for sure. Possibly even two.
>>
>>8003761
One integer.
>>
up to a tipped over 8
>>
Let c = the number counted to
(∆c)/(∆t) = 1.
By integrating, general equation therefore for c = t + k (k = 0 as we start counting at 0)
So using c = t where t = ∞, c must therefore be ∞.
>>
>>8003758
How many seconds are left until the end of time?
>>
>>8003783
At least 12
>>
>>8003787
Can confirm. I just finished counting to 12.
>>
>>8003756
-1/12
>>
>>8003756
Serious answer:
The answer is not definedi can tell you what number are you counting after a finite amount of time.
I can even tell you how many numbers you've counted after infinite time: Aleph Null (a cardinal number)
But I can't tell you what number you've reached after infinite time. There is no such number.
>>
>>8003805
Can confirm is a great meme friend
>>
>>8004320
Actually in this case it's 1+1+1+... = zeta(0) = -1/2.
>>
aleph null
>>
>>8003756
I believe you might find this video relevant to your interests.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrU9YDoXE88
>>
>>8003761
Kekked
>>
>>8003756
bout tree fiddy
>>
>>8004772
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1yzoiUIGGs
>>
The number one that's one higher than the number you're currently at, rinse and repeat.
>>
this is stupid
to be able to tell what number you could count up to, you would have to be able to count to a number, and then look at that number to see what that number is
if you count for an infinite amount of time, you never stop counting, and you can't check which number you reached
>>
>>8004361
Calling things "memes" is a swell gag, pal

Here, I'll do a reply for you so we can just end it here
>chain syntax is a fine jest, mate
>>
>>8004722
Vsauce guy pls go
>>
>>8005886
>thinking you can only learn stuff from vsauce
did he teach you how to not breathe through your mouth?
>>
>>8004602
Who says he counting consecutively? He just said he is counting one number per second.

1, (1+2), (1+2+3), (1+2+3+4), ..., (1+2+...)
= 1, 3, 6, I0, 15...-1/12
>>
When I'm actively counting I usually get bored somewhere around 100, so judging you by how I'd do, I Think not so far.
>>
All of them.
>>
an Alef Nole, Omega plus one
>>
>>8003756

n
>>
>>8005886
He's right though. That's the term that's most commonly used to represent the cardinality of a countable set.

BTW, it's really modest on the part of our nosy merchant friends that they decided to use their own glyphs to represent infinite quantities, isn't it.
>>
>>8007505
If you're going to watch vsauce and quote it on /sci, at least spell it correctly.

>aleph null
>>
>>8007505
>Alef Nole
fucking triggering me, fuck off reddit
>>
>>8007745
This. Aleph null is a set, not a number.
>>
>>8009277
How about [math]\aleph_0[/math]?
>>
>>8009296
Aleph numbers are not sets. They are cardinal numbers (i.e. a number expressing how many elements a set has) of infinite sets. The cardinal numbers of finite sets are equal to the respective number of their elements. [math]\aleph_0[/math] is the cardinality of any infinite, but countable set (such as the set of all naturals, integers, rationals, etc.). Higher aleph numbers express the cardinality of infinite sets of various "degree of uncountability". The continuum hypothesis states that [math]\aleph_1[/math] is the cardinality of the continuum (an example of which is the set of all reals), while [math]\aleph_2[/math] is the cardinality of the set of all possible curves which can exist in a plane.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.