[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you ever think about how alien civilizations would have developed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1460173302336.webm (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1460173302336.webm
2MB, 1920x1080px
Do you ever think about how alien civilizations would have developed differently under different circumstances?

For example how would a civilization on a planet with very little oxygen have progressed? Fire/combustion/combustion engines might not have been developed.

Would a civilization a planet with lower gravity and/or thinner atmosphere have developed space travel much sooner than we have? For example, getting into Moon orbit from the surface of the moon requires about 1/5 or 1/6 the delta-v required to get into Earth orbit. Would a civilization on a planet with a much thicker atmosphere and higher gravity ever develop space travel at all?

Will a civilization in the distant future (after the galaxies move even further apart) be able to measure redshift of the galaxies and figure out the big bang the way we did? What things might a civilization in the distant past (1st or 2nd gen stars) have been able to observe/deduce that we simply wouldn't have a clue about?
>>
Sure this /r9j/ waifu is cute,
but she must be aware that she has too small tits and broad shoulders to be that cocky in this beach webm

I don't think there is a credible answer to your question, although I might be wrong somebody might be inclined to ponder more science informed sci-fi
>>
How well would life develop on a planet with low oxygen?
>>
>>7998403
I don't know anything about biochemistry. How possible is it that there are biological pathways that require little oxygen? For example I think the earth didn't have much oxygen in the air until photosynthesis evolved.
>>
>>7998403
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_organism
>>
>>7998413
Outside of single celled organisms how viable is it?
>>
>>7998443
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_organism#Multicellularity
I want a microscope.
>>
>>7998403
There would be no fires, kinda useful for certain life forms. Modern trees have often bark that chars and swells in fire as a means for protection. In a low O2 atmosphere (less then 15 percent I believe) tress would not need to expend energy on such protection.

There have been times in Earth's history when there was little oxygen.

The other thing is that life forms would not grow big unless provided with efficient lungs. Insects might not survive low O2 conditions.

My guess: huge plants with large thin leaves and animals that are small with large gills/lungs, slow and careful to preserve energy. Animals might need photosynthesis to get enough oxygen.
>>
>>7998374
Who is this semen demon?
>>
>>7998398
>disliking barely broad shoulders
>being this low tesf
>>
>>7999390
A lot of bigger trees use fires as part of reproduction.
>>
>>7999463
True. And that is by last man standing-principle. Basically it assumes that all other plants die and their seeds are the only ones to survive.

This works if one or a few plants use this principle in an area but if all used it there would be no advantage. And there is a cost to this function.
>>
>>7999500
Grass also uses fire to compete with trees because it can repopulate an area far faster than trees.

What about underwater critters?
Cephalapods have been on Earth for hunreds of millions of years.
They're the smartest invertebrates.
They have hands, of a sort.
But they've (apparently) never developed any technology.

Could some critters living in (lets say) the liquid water or liquid methane oceans on a gas giant moon develop meaningful tech without air for fire?
>>
File: Kepler-22b_System_Diagram.jpg (364KB, 3000x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Kepler-22b_System_Diagram.jpg
364KB, 3000x2400px
I've heard that super-earths are supposed to be hypothetically more suitable for life than our planet, because of stuff like how the surface might resolve into shallow oceans dotted with islands that lead to better biodiversity, and the atmosphere would be more protective and so forth.

But I'm not sure how that'd scale to civilization and intelligence. The effect of higher gravity on everything from a creature's gait all the way to spaceflight is up in the air, really.

I'm really interested in extrasolar Earth Analogs.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.