[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What scientific revelation would blow your mind if discovered/proven

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9

File: mind-blown.jpg (49KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
mind-blown.jpg
49KB, 894x894px
What scientific revelation would blow your mind if discovered/proven to be true?
>>
>>7998072
P=NP
>>
0 is infinite
>>
Jet fuel can't melt steal beems.
>>
Something sort of possible is Abiogenic Petroleum Origin, essentially that petroleum/natural gas isn't always produced by decaying living matter, but can originate from other types non-organic processes.

Soviets used to believe it, somewhat discredited atm.

If it was proven true, it would mean we have FAR more fuel trapped under the earth then anyone had ever predicted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenic_petroleum_origin
>>
>>7998074

Would P!=NP also blow your mind? I think it's pretty mind-blowing to consider the construction of a true one-way function. This implies that information can be perfectly hidden with very little computational cost.
>>
God's existence, of course.
>>
Extra dimensions. Especially if they're large (curvature on order of 1-100 TeV)
>>
File: Per3.jpg (40KB, 280x244px) Image search: [Google]
Per3.jpg
40KB, 280x244px
gravity shield.

imagine pic related device with a little shielded right side. if is would be possible the resulting question would be:
is the amount of recoverable (integral in time) energy the same as the effort of building the device (simplified)?

that would be the beginning of a total new kind of relativity in engineering.
>>
>>7998109
I agree.
>>
>>7998072
That we're able to manipulate gravity.
Even in a small capacity, if we're able to create anti-gravity fields/increased gravity fields in the labs, it's at least possible and might lead to future space travel.

Compressing spacetime is the only real way, save some sort of magical warp portal, to get us from point A to point B in a reasonable time in space.
>>
>>7998109

the existence of a divine creator has already been scientifically proven by kent hovind
>>
>>7998082
it is though

conservation of mass anon
>>
>>7998149
Dude, I'm a really big fan of yours. Can you draw something for me and sign it?
>>
>>7998072
Second law of thermodynamics is incorrect
>>
>>7998072
Tachyons exist
>>
>>7998149
yuropoor here. consulted wiki, real creepy guy.

best part: detained for fraud and tax evasion. thats a real christian
>>
>>7998167
But dude, >muh 6 types of evolution
>>
>>7998180
u mean like thats even worse shit than his crimes ?
>>
>>7998072
It would blow my mind if we find evidence of extraterrestrial life that isn't exactly like our own
I'm convinced all carbon based life must use a "digital genetics" like DNA/RNA
>>
>>7998200
but you didn't even say in your own post that all life must be carbon based
>>
>>7998126
Nope. Gravity shields cannot be used to construct perpetual motion devices for the same reason we can't construct electrostatic perpetual motion devices:
http://www.kilty.com/pmredux.htm
>>
File: 1449969221945.jpg (21KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
1449969221945.jpg
21KB, 250x242px
>>7998208
>silicon life would use nucleic acids
>>
>>7998187
No I mean he's right, all his arguments are totally valid, he has thoroughly proved god and disproved satanic evilution
>>
If gravity is time, I'm going to shit my pants like a 99 year old with Crohn's.
>>
>>7998210
i read though this a bit althought im not new to this stuff as chem eng and pretty interested in thermodynamic thinking.

this leads to the following claims if shielding would be possible:
1. shielding needs a continuous energy supply according to device.
2. shielding operation efforts depend on recoverable energy/device in range of shield
OR shielding area field is non-uniform
>>
Not purely scientific, per say, but would be mind blowing all the same.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_return
>>
>>7998215
>silicon based life would arise naturally
do you even abiogenesis friend
>>
>>7998072

>>7998200
>It would blow my mind if we find evidence of extraterrestrial life that isn't exactly like our own
this, by quite far
>>
If someone could build a working alcubierre drive, that'd be pretty fucking cool, friendo

Or if quantum computers actually take off for commercial purposes, I'd like someone to create one with the capabilities of a classic computer.
Get me that quantum gaming rig, science.
>>
>>7998819

The challenges aren't really in terms of hardware, at the moment. The issue is that we don't know how to efficiently perform error correction given how volatile quantum circuits are.
>>
>>7998770
If you want to test this hypothesis, smoke DMT
>>
>>7998072

That the fundamental forces like gravity and magnetism can be explained by mechanical models of an aether. It would mean energy can be harvested from any point in the universe with the right equipment. And also that we can influence gravity.
>>
>>7998072
A simple adhesive that would bond all common materials to at or above there original strength.
>>
Something that can go beyond the speed of light
>>
time slips are real physical phenomena
>>
that i will be procreating in the future via sexual intercourse
>>
>>7998126
Second. Law. Of. Themodynamics.

Perpetual motion machines of the second kind cannot exist.

What is entropy, fucknut?
>>
>>7998979
quantum entanglement moves faster than light
>>
>>7999059

Wavefunction collapse may do, but no information is transferred faster than light.
>>
File: image.jpg (630KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
630KB, 2560x1440px
>>7998072
What exactly is dark matter, knowing that would blow my mind.
>>
>>7999068
Prepare to have your mind blown.

It's a fudge factor to account for piss poor equations regarding the expansion of space. Moshe Carmalli's equations did not need dark matter/dark energy as a fudge factor.
>>
>>7999068
We have thing that can we can't explain, or an error in our equation. We dark matter, or le ebin constant to add to our equation so everything is smooth, welcome to meme phisics.
>>
>>7998217
Still doesn't mean anything. Just because he proved, like any person who with wit, words, and effort would do, doesn't change anything. No one's rewriting books, not many heard of this guy. Maybe there's a reason why. It'd be nice if he says something like "found god, here's the universal address".
>Inb4 pantheism
>>
>>7999080
This.
>>7998072
MemeDriveā„¢ would be pretty cool
>>
>>7999062
But the information is transferred instantly

Near infinite > 3 x 10^8
>>
>>7999097

No information is actually transferred
>>
If we found a way to manipulate space in such a way that the inside of something can be bigger than the outside. For example an average sized adult able to fit inside a briefcase as if it were the size of a regular room.
>>
>>7999336

Ah yes
Good ol Timelord technology
>>
>>7999097
But, you actually can't transfer information faster than light with it.

Measuring one of the prepared states randomly puts it into an eigenstate, the other entangled object will go into the corresponding state.
This doesn't mean information is transferred, as the random nature of quantum mechanics means the two parties trying to transfer the information would need a sub-luminal way to check if the information transferred was correct.
>>
>>7999336
this, i wanna live like a god damn time lord.
>>
File: 2016-02-28_00008.jpg (195KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-28_00008.jpg
195KB, 1920x1080px
>>7998770
The endless cycle?!
>>
a scientific explanation for qualia
>>
>>7998090
Fkn lol
>>
>>7998104
It would mean that we could potentially have far more. By no means would it necessitate it
>>
>>7999049
An observation, not a rule. Go back to philosophy of science 101
>>
Calculations show the universe is criss-crossed by micro-wormholes around 1 atom diameter that are left over from the creation.
Mind blowing would be detecting one and harnessing the unlimited energy flowing through it. It would make near-light speed interstellar travel possible. With the gradual longevity increases we are getting it would make travelling to our closest neighbour and back possible in a lifetime.
>>
Z Space
>>
>>7998072
Magnetic monopoles exist.
>>
>>7998819
You wouldn't actually sell these computers to everyday consumers, they won't help with what you want anon
>>
>>7998200
I could see life that uses binary set codons or tertiary dimensionally coded codons.
In a binary set, instead of genes just detailing why chemicals to make, it basically just says yes or no to certain physical processes. In essence, our planets life runs on cellular biochemistry; their planets life would run on some sort of coded biophysics. Think like a computer, where 1's and 0's are yesses and no's.
In a tertiary dimensionally coded set, genes are like dimensional data, or a 3D graph blueprint of the body. Like data used in a SketchUp or 3D graphing calculator program.
>>
>>7998072
AI, duh
>>
>>7998072
If scientists discovered a live stick of dynamite was hidden inside my skull.
>>
File: hzQE0rt.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hzQE0rt.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>7999837
>Calculations show the universe is criss-crossed by micro-wormholes around 1 atom diameter that are left over from the creation
Link? Although it sounds like BS, it'll still be quite interesting.
>>
>>7999694
THE WIND IS PUSHING ME
>>
>>8000093
This tbqh senpai

Or wavefunctions physically exist in some sense
>>
File: many-worlds1[1].jpg (122KB, 774x567px) Image search: [Google]
many-worlds1[1].jpg
122KB, 774x567px
If the many worlds interpretation was proven.
>>
>>8001644
>me on the left
>>
>>7998107

Why is that mindblowing?

Intuitively it should be easier to construct a question to which you already know the answers than to answer such a question.
>>
File: religiouspeople_retarded.jpg (49KB, 500x389px) Image search: [Google]
religiouspeople_retarded.jpg
49KB, 500x389px
>>7998072
>The existence of a supreme being/deity aka. God
because its almost common sense and logical that there is no possible way of it existing and if somehow the existence of a deity was proven my brain would literally lag.
>>
File: checkd.jpg (87KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
checkd.jpg
87KB, 600x800px
>>8001677
>checkd
same here, existence of god/s
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.