[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that advanced mathematics can only be learned by specific

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1449800146127.jpg (37KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1449800146127.jpg
37KB, 640x640px
Is it true that advanced mathematics can only be learned by specific types of people?
I've heard this said a few times that only certain people can learn things like physics due to limits in their own learning capabilities.

Any validity to this?
>>
>>7995117
>specific types of people

Well, there is one word that comes to mind. But that's probably not the answer you're looking for.
>>
File: 1460287193452.png (129KB, 714x744px) Image search: [Google]
1460287193452.png
129KB, 714x744px
>>7995117
Can you figure out Shinichi Mochizuki's proof for abc conjecture?
>>
>>7995117
When it comes to math, there's people who understand it, and those who don't. Can specific people learn it? Well, anyone can learn it. It just takes an elite few to master it or fully comprehend it.
>>
>>7995117
A mentally disabled person may be unable to learn calculus regardless of effort.

I see no reason why the analogy should not hold for advanced mathematics with respect to the relativisation.
>>
>>7995173
It sounds like it's more time and effort put towards the goal than innate ability.
>>
I don't think so. For understanding effort is enough, doesn't matter how much. The things become harder when you talk about being creative about it and contributing to the subject, and then I agree, only a few people are capable of this in their lifetime.
>>
You can learn it and be somewhat good at it but yes if you want to do groundbreaking stuff and be notable it's mainly high IQ people who can do it.
>>
>>7995117
As a stupid person in calc 2, I'd say yeah, my effort as, far as studying, is growing at a greater rate than the gifted in my class. We COULD all understand any level of math, but its time that limits us. And if understanding any given n+1 concept in math is harder for you than for some others, you will increasingly fall behind them.
>>
>>7995117
i dont think its a matter of capability to learn but willingness and the factors in life before and currently that play into that persons willingness. I believe thats true with all things, too. Anyone can be ripped, but yet some people are fat. Anyone can speak spanish, but yet, some people dont give a shit about it.

thats the problem with our education system, it shows the students willingness to do mundane and unwanted tasks and learn trivial things, which sure, is a reflection of their ability to succeed, but is not a reflection of their intelligence.
>>
>>7995117
yes, advanced math can only be learned by specific types of people: the types who have drive, dedication to work and hunger to learn

in my experience the "too dumb to do math" threshold exists, but it's mostly the result of a person having been lazy since childhood. their intellectual growth is stunted and they're so used to shortcuts and easy nonsense that it's hard to get them the discipline required for math
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.