[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it better to do a Ph.D as soon as possible after your undergraduate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: taleb.jpg (18KB, 530x298px) Image search: [Google]
taleb.jpg
18KB, 530x298px
Is it better to do a Ph.D as soon as possible after your undergraduate study, or become financially established and then pursue scholarship afterward? Assuming, of course, that one is capable of either route.
>>
You will probably have no interest or not enough interest in committing to work on your Ph.D. once you become financially established as you see for yourself that work and return a most likely in any way not in a ratio favorably for a Ph.D.
>>
>>7994947
Sure, but I'm considering doing a Ph.D now even though I've already got job offers to make money doing stuff in technology and risk management. So I'm not sure if this applies entirely if I'm already considering more or less the same decision.
>>
>>7994963
Are you serious? There's a huge difference in the position you are in and the one that other guy described
>>
>>7994947
(Most) People pursue PhDs because they love research and the idea of making original contributions to science, whether they expand the theory or find helpful applications to it. So you are right about the work and return ratio thing, but people factor in their love for science in deciding whether to pursue a PhD or not.
>>
>>7994972
But why? If I choose to do doctoral studies now instead of, say, working for 5 years, I am certainly forgoing $300k or more in income.
>>
I know that one person's opinion is not the world, but a friend who has a very well-paid research position at a top US university recommended working before graduate study.
>>
>>7994933
just do a PhD as soon as fucking possible. Don't bother with a masters degree, just go straight to PhD. Just get it over with. If you get a job, you'll just end up putting it off until it's too late.
>>
Do you plan on pursuing a career in academia? If yes then go directly for the PhD, if not get a job.

Job experience will a) give you perspective on why you would even want to get a PhD and b) it will usually not diminish your chances of getting a PhD position often it is even beneficial for your application.
>>
I would like to hear a more experienced person's opinion on the matter.
>>
Recommend working for a year, possibly in something unrelated to your field. Get some life experience, gain some maturity and drive. Too often people get into a Ph.D. program, and 3 years in they realize they would have been much happier just working in the field, because all the bullshit and politics that come with academia, or they realize they only sort of like their field, and aren't obsessed with it.

Forget the money, if you really want to do research you don't do for money. Just go fuck around for a year, and if at the end of it, decide whether or not research is right for you.
>>
>>7995031
>3 years in

you can graduate in 3 years in phd programmes in europe
>>
>>7995031
What if i already got a bunch of life experience? Im 24 and barely going to graduate with a b.s. in 1 year
>>
File: 1454132938420.gif (814KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
1454132938420.gif
814KB, 700x400px
>>7994933
It depends what you want to do with your life.

Say you want to become a code monkey and earn 40 k and that's what you're happy with there's no need for a Ph.D. Chances are that you'll move up in the company and after five years earn a fuck load. You'll probably be an architect long before year five.

If you're looking to do research and make it in academia you're going to need a Ph.D.

The problem being is that if you want a position as a professor you're going to need industry experience and the guy who got his BS has so many years over you and can show results. The company is more likely to hire the BS candidate because they can pay him less and he already knows the field than a Ph.D. Though of course this varies from position to position and company to company.

Also have a PhD is a good back up plan in case something bad happens. Such as the company you're working at goes belly up. So ultimately your best bet is to work for a company that will pay for your masters/ PhD and complete through that way.

t. 10 years in bio/ chem industry
>>
>>7995383
ty for your advice my man :)
>>
>>7994933
It depends on your major, career path and too many specific circumstances.

Generally if you're going for academic careers you want a PhD ASAP and for the industry you want some experience and establishing a career path first
>>
is talebposting the new gorillaposting?

>in b4 whats the difference xdddddd
>>
I chose to work a few years in industry. Returning back for a PhD. People like me do return.
>>
>>7994933

I'm in the same position as you, OP.

This has been my plan most recently:
1. Complete undergraduate degree in a very practical specialization of CS. Take my last year or so to find a theoretical area of interest.
2. Complete enough credits during my undergrad to be eligible for a one-year Master's program.
3. Secure a job offer for after completion of my graduate degree.
4. Complete MS program with a highly theoretical specialization; during my study, do significant research under a professor in a theoretical area. Aim to publish three (not necessarily groundbreaking but still substantial) papers during said graduate program.
5. Work for 4-5 years, taking on research-oriented projects where possible. Publish independently and/or with the support of my employer.
6. Go back for PhD.

I'm currently at the end of step 3. Everything has luckily worked out (despite having a few lapses in academic performance) to where I have admission with complete support to a competitive MS program, along with a job offer for after with a starting salary in the meme range of $120k+ with vested (over 4 years) stock options.

While this is my plan currently, this has not always been what I've thought I'd be doing. I could very well decide against pursuing the PhD in 5 years; it depends on many variables. I tend to be very pragmatic about seizing opportunities that begin to show themselves to me.
>>
>>7995430
NP

Just remember if you do go work in the industry you're going to be doing the same thing over and over again.
>>
It's not the worst idea to have a job lined up. If you don't get into a top tier PhD you have no chance of getting a job as a professor in the future in many fields, so it is good to have a backup plan.
>>
>>7994933
It's never a good idea to do a PhD full time under any circumstances unless you are gunning for an academic career (and that's only a good idea if you're some Prof's goldenboy and get handed high studentships and grant links)
>>
>>7994933
i want my PE before i go back for my masters. that will be the year i figure out my own consulting firm.
>>
>>7995031
This poster is either fucking retarded, a boomer or a shill, if you have a year gap in your CV you destroy your career and that expensive bachelors of yours becomes worthless.
>>
>>7995721
its a good thing i can lie.
>>
>>7995475
What's your field of study? I'm in biochem and I feel these guys don't make much money
>>
>>7995475

Three papers in a year (assuming your MS lasts a year) is practically impossible simply because of the time it takes to actually get them reviewed/published. I would say two papers is about your theoretical limit there, and that is pushing it -heavily-.

You will also find it very hard to publish anything independently, especially with just a master's, and ESPECIALLY in theory; as there is a sea of independent wackos just like you spamming every journal imaginable with how gravity is actually, like, upside down electromagnetism. However, that would be very different if you work with a recognized professor in theory who can get you "in" to certain journals.

t. grad student who worked in national laboratory system for a while
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.