[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help I'm in need of a wake up call. 1. How do I become

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (221KB, 496x547px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
221KB, 496x547px
Help I'm in need of a wake up call.
1. How do I become smarter.. Do I just read more? Study more? Is it a natural talent? I'm your average "highschool was cake, college is harder now I get Cs and Bs"
2. I'm studying Chem Eng and its interesting but I'm having a horrible time trying to get an internship or coop
3. ILL NEVER GET A JOB AND DIE ALONE
4. I smoke everyday. Not out of necessity or even because I like to I'm just so goddamn bored without it
5. What can I do
>>
where
>>
Penn state, USA I'm ending my 6th semester as an undergrad
>>
>>7993998
Read, practice, experiment. Reduce the time you spend on unproductive tasks (like whining on 4chan).

Eat healthy, lose weight, and stop smoking.

Be happy about what you're studying and stop thinking about life success in terms of wealth acquisition.

Let someone who can help you know about your predicament and give you advice.
>>
>>7994058
Wow. Thank you I wasn't expecting any decent response, because 4chan, but that's very helpful advice.

Who would you recommend talking to?

Where would I start not measuring life that way. It's engrained in culture and society? I was brought up to study get good grades go to good school get good job make good money live good life.
>>
You need to genuinely be curious. Question everything, and attempt to find an answer to your questions.

I imagine you dont intend to learn 'eveything', rather just the things that interest you.
>>
>>7994081
And by smoking I didn't mean cigs I mean I roll a joint every night just cause I can't think of anything else to do
>>
>>7994088
While it would be cool if I could learn everything. I think the hard part is finding something I'm interested in. I'm amazed by some of the shit that iv learned and I understand it but it just gives me this empty feeling that these guys behind what we learn Fick, Antoinette, Henry, Monod, etc. they're all leagues smarter than I will ever be.
>>
>>7994081
Career adviser, engineering department, upperclassmen

>Where would I start not measuring life that way. It's engrained in culture and society?
Yeah I know, but it puts a lot of pressure on people and I feel it inhibits learning, at least for me. You can measure life success in terms of other generics like "happiness", "knowledge", "religion", etc.
>>
>>7994103
>empty feeling that these guys behind what we learn Fick, Antoinette, Henry, Monod, etc. they're all leagues smarter than I will ever be.

You and most of your classmates and teachers. That's just life.
>>
>>7994120
That's unfortunate
>>
>>7994103
And stop comparing yourself to others and realize your limitations.

You won't be able to master everything even in the most obscure field like "mathematical biological fluid dynamics" and there will be people in that field smarter and more accomplished than you no matter what you do whether it's because of who they are or because of the opportunities they have (more research $).

This doesn't mean be complacent or stop striving. Just gain knowledge and continue to propel yourself by using yourself as a marker.
>>
>>7994091
Dude, i was the same way with beer, until i decided to go back to school. Now, i just use beer as a reward for getting through a particularly rough week, doing well on assignments, getting As and stuff. Set some goals for the week, and make sure,you accomplish them, then smoke.

If youre bored, i know studying can be a little dry, but try takinh caffeine supplements or amphetamines to motivate you to do something.

Im thinking of apply to penn state for grad school. How do you like it
>>
>>7994142
I love it here. Other than the fact that it is a money hungry beast, I had to pay $70 for a student section ticket for a football game, it's a great school. I haven't had a single bad professor in my majors department. So many resources and access. Downtown has a couple great places to get a drink and a good meal. Also, at least in my major, the graduate program is the kitties titties. They really do it well. The only bitch is the wind and Pennsylvanias winter
>>
>>7994163
Lmao, I grew up in PA and have since relocated for school the past few years -- I'm finishing my junior year as well. I know about 20 kids that went there, some in engineering.
>>
>>7994171
Where did you grow up
Why did you relocate

I plan on getting a job outside of pa. Iv seen enough snow in my life
>>
>>7994177
West Chester, PA. It's about 3 hours east of you. Penn state is a really fun school. Most of the schools I applied to were actually outside of PA -- save two in Philadelphia. I went to a school on scholarship with a great program for what I am interested in.
>>
If you're like me who can't regulate weed when I have some, just stop. After a week or two you don't crave it anymore. People say it's "harmless" but you end up in a constant state of mind fog, incapable of becoming the best version of yourself, and it makes you feel like that's OK.
>>
>>7994122

Some things are in your control. Some things are not. Worrying or being upset about things not in your control is pointless and a waste of energy.
>>
>>7994049

ayy lmao

I'm from that area, but I go to school in NY.

1. Read more. Study more. The ability to do these things consistently and the ability to do these things well are both at least partially motivated by natural ability. Regardless of this fact, you can still try.
2. Great. Give up or keep trying. Those are your only real choices.
3. Maybe.
4. Stop smoking.
5. Stop acting like a pleb and do something.
>>
>>7993998
>1. How do I become smarter.. Do I just read more? Study more? Is it a natural talent? I'm your average "highschool was cake, college is harder now I get Cs and Bs"
It's a mix. A lot of it depends on your dna, though.

>2. I'm studying Chem Eng and its interesting but I'm having a horrible time trying to get an internship or coop
keep looking

>3. ILL NEVER GET A JOB AND DIE ALONE
that can happen. i'm pretty sure you'll at least get a job somewhere though.

>4. I smoke everyday. Not out of necessity or even because I like to I'm just so goddamn bored without it
do something else instead, whenever the desire to smoke arises. do sports or draw or meditate or whatever.

>5. What can I do
learn to accept everything
>>
>>7993998
push yourself to your breaking limit. Honestly, if i have any good argument for college as opposed to self-study it would be to unlock new planes of intellect. I had a dreadful semester where I did nothing but work. I didnt even have time to shitpost or play vidya. it was sleep, eat, work. are you going to bed tonight? lol, we'll see if you can get your work done fast enough! It was that fucking bad.

coming out of it I feel smarter, i perform much better in classes, and over the past month ive started having these 1 - 2 day long periods of racing thoughts. where I am intensely focused, knowledgeable, and just feel on top of the world in general.

push yourself hard. this is an awesome feel.
>>
In my experience you just need to study more in order to get "smart" (in reality you are just increasing your skill set in a particular direction).. If you are above average intellectually, all it takes is persistence
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.