[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain this freak of nature, /sci/. How can something like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: ClO2.png (162KB, 627x470px) Image search: [Google]
ClO2.png
162KB, 627x470px
Explain this freak of nature, /sci/.

How can something like this exist for even a nanosecond
>>
Resonance stabilized, senpai
>>
>>7993123
You take inorganic chemistry to explain the stability of these molecules OP.
>>
>>7993133
Is that a thing?

How does it allow a halogen to have four covalent bonds?
>>
>>7993135
I'm a bioengineer, you guys are the closest I have
>>
>>7993136
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covalent_bond#One-_and_three-electron_bonds
>>
The important question is, will it boom?
>>
File: Cl1F3-7790912.jpg (9KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Cl1F3-7790912.jpg
9KB, 400x300px
>>7993123
"It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water — with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals — steel, copper, aluminum, etc. — because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes."
>>
File: clo2 enema.png (452KB, 560x629px) Image search: [Google]
clo2 enema.png
452KB, 560x629px
>>7993144
Alright, I think I get it. So the Oxygens are essentially just tacked on without any true bonding taking place, and the one Chlorine valence electron just resonates between the two.

That would give each C-O link the strength of a half bond, so it'd oxidize just about anything it touched. Alright. Less freaked out now.

>>7993148
No, but it will make an autistic child shit out his intestinal lining.
>>
>>7993151
hahaha
>>
>>7993123
...Why are there two lines if it's only a half-bond?

Man, I just don't get it when molecules don't follow valence theory.
>>
>>7993159
That's pretty much what I thought when I first saw it.

Two hours later maybe I can do something productive
>>
That pic is misleading. They should at least use two dotted lines to indicate resonance.

This makes me wanna look at my old Chem texts
>>
>>7993159
It does follow it, Chlorine valence shell is diffuse enough to allow it to accommodate it. Similar in the way you see Sulfur Tetrafluoride exist or any other metal with a ligand field
>>
File: Methyl-isocyanate-3D-vdW.png (149KB, 1100x710px) Image search: [Google]
Methyl-isocyanate-3D-vdW.png
149KB, 1100x710px
>>7993151
This is now a retardedly dangerous chemicals thread

>Methyl-isocyanate is toxic by inhalation, ingestion and contact in quantities as low as 0.4 ppm. Exposure symptoms includes coughing, chest pain, dyspnea, asthma, irritation of the eyes, nose and throat, as well as skin damage. Higher levels of exposure, over 21 ppm, can result in pulmonary or lung edema, emphysema and hemorrhages, bronchial pneumonia and death
>The Bhopal disaster, also referred to as the Bhopal gas tragedy, was a gas leak incident in India, considered the world's worst industrial disaster.[1]
>It occurred on the night of 2–3 December 1984 at the Union Carbide India Limited (UCIL) pesticide plant in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. Over 500,000 people were exposed to methyl isocyanate (MIC) gas and other chemicals. The toxic substance made its way into and around the shanty towns located near the plant.[2]
>Estimates vary on the death toll. The official immediate death toll was 2,259. The government of Madhya Pradesh confirmed a total of 3,787 deaths related to the gas release.[3] A government affidavit in 2006 stated that the leak caused 558,125 injuries, including 38,478 temporary partial injuries and approximately 3,900 severely and permanently disabling injuries.[4] Others estimate that 8,000 died within two weeks, and another 8,000 or more have since died from gas-related diseases.[5]

Fucking hell India
>>
>>7993173
>ligand field

man, I don't think I know enough about bonding and orbitals to understand that shit

thanks for enlightening me though
>>
>>7993175
>the leak caused 558,125 injuries
From a single industrial accident? Jesus Christ.
>>
>>7993173
I would think a halogen valence shell would be just about as dense as you could get. Is the increase in radius between Fluorine and Chlorine that significant?
>>
>>7993181
Yup worst industrial accident to ever occur
>>
>>7993175
Alright, if we're on that topic, what's a good and spectacular way to make a wide 3+ kilometre deep pit assuming I can't afford expensive drilling equipment, but can afford hundreds of thousands if not millions of hours of unskilled African labour?
Or is drilling equipment cheaper than I think?

>>7993181
It's India, people fuck up constantly on ridiculous scales.
>>
>>7993178
Don't worry about it, it all comes down to what kinda electrons are involved (weather they're bonding or anti bonding) The sigma ones are pretty easy to understand, once you get to Pi bonds and beyond it gets complicated. Shouldn't eb a problem for the first 20 elements and a few more transition metals added in
>>
>>7993188
I dont think it is much larger than Fluorine
>>
>>7993153
>true bonding
that's a "no true Scotsman" fallacy
>>
>>7993215
Neither do I, hence the confusion

>>7993220
I'm sure you know what I mean, I'm just unable to articulate it. It's not a bond in the classic sense where both elements contribute something, it's just oxygen coming along and draping its flaccid electron over Chlorine without reciprocation.
>>
>>7993224
Ionic radius (nm)
F- 0.133
Cl- 0.181
Br- 0.196

I guess it's just in that sweet spot radius wise with comparable electronegativity
>>
>>7993224
formal bond order less than one
>>
I could open my book but hey, just look up ozone for reference, good ol resonance is key. I have a feeling that my idea of it being diffuse shells only relates to what molecules can form and partially that these do form
>>
>>7993253
ozone has an even number of valence electrons and ClO2 doesn't - that's where the confusion begins
>>
>>7993260
Whoops shoulda clarified that was meant to be in regards to resonance
>>
>>7993175

I can't tell you how many times this disaster was mentioned in my undergrad and in the workplace.

Just about every safety education program an engineer goes through talks about this and the challenger.
>>
>>7993276
You guys hear about that one NASA engineer who blamed himself for the challenger?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/01/28/464744781/30-years-after-disaster-challenger-engineer-still-blames-himself

The guy was one of the ones warning that the shuttle was going to blow up, and always regretted not arguing harder.

Eventually he had an interview with NPR and a bunch of people higher up at nasa called in to say it wasn't his fault. He got to die at peace last month.
>>
>>7993190
>Alright, if we're on that topic, what's a good and spectacular way to make a wide 3+ kilometre deep pit assuming I can't afford expensive drilling equipment, but can afford hundreds of thousands if not millions of hours of unskilled African labour?
>Or is drilling equipment cheaper than I think?

It is cheaper. Still, probably the easiest way to do it under your restrictions is to dam the Strait of Gibraltar and the Suez Canal. Without that restriction, deflecting an asteroid is the way to go.
>>
Biofag here. I have a chemistry related question I hope you guys can help me with. Why does acetylating the hydroxyl groups in cellulose greatly decrease its hydrophilicity? Can't the oyxgens in the ester bond still contribute to hydrogen bonding with water?
>>
>>7993321
OH groups are both H-bond donors and H-bond acceptors.

Esters are are H-bond acceptors BUT ARE NOT H-bond DONORS.
>>
>>7993321
Oxygen can always serve as the negative end of one bond, but there's no hydrogen to serve as the positive end of another
>>
>>7993334
>>7993336
Alright thanks senpaitachi. I knew that the oxygens from ether weren't H-bond donors, I just didn't think that alone would cause such a big difference in hydrophilicity.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.