[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how does the earths outer core have magnetic properties if the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Ksenia_Solo.jpg (59KB, 400x544px) Image search: [Google]
Ksenia_Solo.jpg
59KB, 400x544px
how does the earths outer core have magnetic properties if the temperature is too high?
Ive been looking into it all morning and the geological science foundation doesn't touch much about the subject and conclude that its proven by only models and "believed" to be.
>>
>>7991311
iron has magnetic properties within a large temperature range, not just when hot
>>
>>7991317
curie point of nickel and iron is far below the temperature of the outer core.

so it doesnt add up how the earth is magnetic in the first place.
>>
>>7991311
>what is a dynamo
>>
>>7991311
Currents produce a magnetic field. Current is just the movement of electrons. So if you move a metal that's technically moving electrons. The earth's core is a giant spinning chunk of metal, thus there is a net current and a magnetic field is produced.

>>7991328
basically this
>>
>>7991328
its not even a theory at this point. the temperature is way too hot for nickel and iron to be magnetic. there has to be a fluid that is rotating and magnetic.
>>
>>7991336
>Currents produce a magnetic field.

how? the temperature is too hot for iron and nickel to be magnetic.
>>
>>7991347
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnet
>>
>>7991347
too hot for them to act as -permanent- magnets, yes. What the other posters are saying, is that because of electric current, the core actually acts as an electromagnet.
Actually interesting, I never knew that.
>>
>>7991371
>>7991374
im still running into the problem that the temperature of the outer core is too high for iron and nickel to produce a current.
>>
>>7991400
Why? Heat can't prevent a current being produced from the flow of liquid iron around the inner core. It's literally just electrons moving and charged metal in the flow moving through that field producing a magnetic field.
>>
They're moving, therefore the y generate a current.
>>
>>7991430
>>7991434
can you generate a magnetic field by circulating lava?
>>
>>7991454
Yes.
>>
>>7991454
its convection
the contrast between inner molten moving metal and cool outer crust
>>
>>7991400
go look up the lorentz force, the definition of charge, and how a Magneto Hydro Dynamic generator works.
>>
>>7991495
>>7991469
i was searching to see if Ampère's circuital law applies to lava or very very hot things since thats how the magnetic field is generated according to official sources.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.