[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do higher spacial dimensions actually exist or is it just three

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (58KB, 400x453px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 400x453px
Do higher spacial dimensions actually exist or is it just three dimensions + time?
If higher spacial dimensions do exist why don't we ever come into contact with higher dimensionsl forms in our 3D space?
>>
>>7987542
even if you were to see a higher dimension object, you'd perceive it as 3D. at any given time you'd see a 3D "cut" of the object, which may or may not alter in appearance if that object moves along the dimension we don't perceive
>>
>>7987542
>why don't we ever come into contact with higher dimensionsl forms
why do you assume that we don't, everything might have an underlaying (more like 'overlaying') structure in other dimensions.
time isn't a spatial dimension in the sense that your talking about. It's just a way to localise an event or item to a specific place in a specific time.
>>
We are the 3D projection of 4D beings onto a 3D universe. Which are the 4D projections of 5D beings onto a 4D universe. So on and so forth.
>>
>>7987900
lay off the pot
>>
>>7987904
We're also made of strings
>>
>>7987542
If we can think about them then they exist.

What are you trying to imply? That for 400 years mathematicians have been wasting their time thinking about higher dimensions, complex spaces, projections, etc.?

THAT WOULD BE MADNESS.
>>
>>7987636
I know, but it would still be a freaky event to perceive if it moves through our space.
I'm just wondering why we never saw that happen yet, although you can come with the argument "it's really really rare to ever see that"
>>
>>7988030
one "cheap" way to get a grasp of this is to take a baloon, inflate it a bit and paint dots all over it. then continue inflating it. you can connect the dots in your head and kind of see how a 4D object passes through.
>>
>>7987913
reality is literally music
>>
>>7988030
well people report objects disappearing and appearing, and we just tell them they imagined it because it's impossible, and everyone goes back to whatever 3d thing they were doing
>>
>>7987542
Time is the space space.
A line is a point space
A plane is a line space
A volume is a plane space
Time is a volume space

i.e. to get to a different arrangement of space you travel through time.
same principle: to get to another point you travel along a line
>>
wow so many morons here on /sci/ not knowing anything about the subject.
>>
>>7987542
Simply put, we can't perceive objects in higher dimensions because when one observes an object, you are forcing it into a 3D quantum state by collapsing its infinite dimensional wavefunction into a finite observable state.

This is essentially why we can't predict the movement of say, electrons or photons, and end up with probability distributions of their scattering instead of accurate predictive states, since these particles are moving through dimensions, and only through our interaction with them through the electromagnetic force (ie: a wall, a slit, a magnetic field etc) can we make them collapse into a physical 3D representation of its wavefunction. There are 'hidden variables' in their motion which is why this happens.
>>
>>7987918
I think in many cases using n-dimensions in math is just a matter of convenience than anything relating to real world.
math is after all just a tool that gives us an opportunity to figure out things otherwise unreachable (as far as we know).
I guess there's logic based systems we could also use. But my point is, universe might not be mathematical in essence..
if we live in a simulation, then most likely it is.

>>7987913
string theory is humbug, Michio Kaku will be disappoint.

>>7988042
This doesn't make much sense, sounds like your spewing some stuff you heard about visualising expanding universe.

>>7988151
uh huh.. sure .. what ?
>>
>>7988189
>when one observes an object
I don't think you understand what an 'observer' is.. you believe that a corridor behind your door doesn't exist when you're not looking and instead is just a formless wave-function with probabilities.. and you collapse the reality instantly when you peek through the keyhole ?
>>
>>7988202
That's something I never understood as well. This is going to sound really dumb probably, but what makes people or living organisms in general so special that when photons that bounced off of objects reach our eyes that only then they become real? Or am I thinking in the wrong way here?
>>
>>7988236
yeah that's not how it happens.. anything can be an observer, a photon or an electron can be an oberver..
the fuzziness of matter happens on quantum level and doesn't really propagate to a macro system unless we do it purposefully like in the famous 'Schrödinger's cat' thought experiment.
>>
>>7988236
>>7988243
...like if you take the double slit experiment for example.
the photon passes through multiple slits and interferes with itself because the wave-funtion is intact.. and if you collapse it by measuring it at the slit, it acts like a particle and only passes through one slit.
this has nothing to do with us looking at the photon with our conscious thought, but just our instrument simply interacting with it by measuring it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnJPy-lsZKQ

too bad it doesn't have english subtitles
maybe you will still understand whats going on without audio
>>
here's a juicy one for you:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elitzur%E2%80%93Vaidman_bomb_tester
and the experiment has been proven to actually work.
>>
>>7988280
Lel, bin Deutsch
>>
>>7988280
so basicly flatlanders..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0WjV6MmCyM
>>
>>7988264
Wrong the double slit experiment has nothing to do with instruments "interacting" with the "photon"
>>
>>7988280
>tfw God from the Bible was just some higher dimensional being fucking with us and also not really God
>>
>>7988298
it does if we want the photons to act like 'things' instead of 'stuff' by collapsing the wave-function and eliminate the interference pattern on the back plate... alse the back plate is in a way an instrument.
>>
>>7988301
>tfw God is just a school kid taking a week off to work on his simulation... that he must've forgotten about... he's not gonna win that science fair project.
>>
>>7987542
Just integral the universe bro

Also, there is obviously a sideways and an inside out
>>
>>7987542
So it very well might be that there are higher dimensions affecting ours. Particle-anti particle pairs are created from nothing all over in 'empty' space also annihilating one another..
maybe all that matter 'pops up' from it moving through our 3 dimensions..
maybe the physics in 4 dimensions are so chaotic that it's just a scrambled mess without any structure, and essential for our 3 dimensional complex structures forming here 'below'.
>>
>>7988195
>visualising expanding universe
i can see why you'd think that. what i said it to compare the dots to the initial ones, no one with the rest on the baloon. you could do rotation instead of inflation, although that is slightly less obvious
>>
>>7987904
lay off the ignorance
>>
File: 1460063950875.jpg (261KB, 830x949px) Image search: [Google]
1460063950875.jpg
261KB, 830x949px
>>7988301
>>7988319
>>
>>7989916
Take some advice, you sound high af.
>>
File: 634sh2[1].jpg (342KB, 780x1200px) Image search: [Google]
634sh2[1].jpg
342KB, 780x1200px
Humans directly observe objects existing in more than four dimensions all the time. We call these humans psychotic.
>>
>>7988042
... Wait, what if Dark Matter were proof of 4th dimensional objects presence acting on our 3rd dimension?

Gravity transcends through the dimensions doesn't it?
>>
>>7990045
Sauce?
>>
>>7990081
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Providence_%28comic%29
>>
>>7989985
Take some reality, I haven't smoked marijuana in 1.5 years.

Plus that wasn't even advice, that was an observation and a wrong one at that.
>>
>>7987712
>>7987542
the guy is right.
Consider time as a parametric equation, not a spatial dimension.
>>
>>7987636
Some phenomenon are modelled by multiple dimension, so...
Also they continually put more juice into particle colliders to knock shit out of other dimensions sort of.
>>
File: Rainbow-at-the-mountain.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Rainbow-at-the-mountain.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>7987636
i'm not saying you're wrong; you may be even right, but if you want to perceive the "4th dimension" (at least from our 3d perspective) look at a rainbow.

maybe the reason why we can't look around a rainbow is because of what you said

also light is multidimensional
>>
>>7991091
i dont get what you mean. you can't go around a rainbow because it's an illusion, not really there
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.