[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is she right, /sci/? Are mathematical proofs a social constr

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: construct.png (106KB, 923x446px) Image search: [Google]
construct.png
106KB, 923x446px
Is she right, /sci/? Are mathematical proofs a social construct?

http://mathbabe.org/2012/11/14/the-abc-conjecture-has-not-been-proved/
>>
>>7986756
Not in the sense that you mean
>>
>>7986756
>social construct

take your postmodernism back to facebook.
>>
>>7986756
Social relativism would imply that the truth of a proof depends on the society it's explained to.

While this is trivially true in a sense that some society could reject ZF set theory for some reason and cripple our ability to do any math at all, it's otherwise not true.

A proof is still valid, even if you don't understand it yet.

You can't leap from "he has a proof, but nobody else has agreed yet so it's not a proof at all". All you can say is "he has a proof, which may or may not be valid because nobody else knows yet."
>>
>>7986756
why is "social construct" such a hot buzzphrase?
>>
File: 1455318398886.gif (24KB, 210x200px) Image search: [Google]
1455318398886.gif
24KB, 210x200px
>>7986756
>http://mathbabe.org/2016/04/07/ill-stop-calling-algorithms-racist-when-you-stop-anthropomorphizing-ai/
this fucking woman
>>
>>7986779
it makes you sound like you know what you are talking about without actually having to research the field.

intellectual laziness fampai.
>>
>>7986779
Postmodernism. The little kids on twitter/facebook/reddit are too young to remember this shit being debunked in the 90s. Read a book or two on it

http://www.amazon.com/Fashionable-Nonsense-Postmodern-Intellectuals-Abuse-Science/dp/0312204078
http://www.amazon.com/Higher-Superstition-Academic-Quarrels-Science/dp/0801857074/
>>
>>7986756
Isn't there some way to mechanically verify Mochiyummy's proof?
>>
>>7986810
Hmm yes.. If ony we had some way to percieve his proof through some sensory organ. Hmm yes...
>>
>>7986830
Is this sarcasm?
>>
The proof is all but useless until we understand it. The methods he's developed are of more interest than the truth of the conjecture.
>>
>>7986869
Is this autism?
>>
>>7986756
All of math is a circular self-referential construct, that doesnt make it wrong or meaningless
>>
>>7986756
Probably angry that a white male solved it.
>>
>>7987039
>japanese
>white
>>
>>7986756
We have too many critics and not enough creative people
>>
>>7986801
ah. so it's basically been rebranded for a new generation

neat, i always knew something was up
>>
>>7986784
>>7986756

Jesus fucking christ why do women ruin everything?
>>
>>7986779
because many people believe that "x is a social construct" means something like "x doesn't actually exist"
>>
careful friends, this thread is dangerously close to triggering a /pol/ invasion
>>
>>7987051
>Implying a Japanese male in Japan isn't privileged.
>Implying women aren't subjugated more in Japan than in any western country
>Implying a Japanese male in Japan isn't, socially speaking, equivalent to a white male in a western country.

It's like you're trying to be ignorant, don't be a retard all your life anon.
>>
>spouse: Johan de Jong
Oof.
>>
this tbqh >>7987391

this is obviously just 1 random blogger, if you are on 4chan you should be aware that anyone can spread their nonsense all over the internet by now
>>
>>7986756
>Come up with proof
>Only I understand it, therefore proof isn't valid
>Give a few seminars and workshops on proof
>Everyone understands it
>Proof magically becomes correct

I never knew that society was so powerful that it could affect the ontological value of something, live and learn I guess.
>>
>>7987463
>that lack of reading comprehension
>>
>>7986784
at least she's fighting the botnet
>>
File: 1458842194489.png (497KB, 600x805px) Image search: [Google]
1458842194489.png
497KB, 600x805px
>>7986784
She has a point desu.
>>
>>7987505
>That lack of argument.

Obviously I shitpost, but only a bit. I can get what she means but I, and I'm guessing most others, consider the verification to be separate from the correctness of the proof. A proof is always correct, it is always valid, the verification of it by other mathematicians only lends it weight and gives it force.
>>
>>7986784
If you actually read the artcle you would realize that she makes a good point
>>
>>7987463
>Come up with proof
>Only I understand it
>Everyone accepts it as valid
>Give workshops and seminars on proof
>Eventually people understand it
>Someone finds an error, proof isn't valid
asking proofs to be understandable to more than one person isn't a statement about the underlying truth value of the proof, but a protective mechanism for the field against accepting faulty work
>>
File: 1460008157299.png (324KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1460008157299.png
324KB, 800x800px
Mochizuki is a fraud
>>
>>7986784
http://jte.sagepub.com/content/61/3/261.short
Fuck this world.
>>
>>7986756
Technically the entire field of Mathematics is a social construct. It's a social construct used to understand our environment, its shape, and space.

But just because it's a social construct doesn't mean it's wrong, contrary to what Feminists and SJWs would have you believe.
>>
>>7987388
>because many people believe that "x is a social construct" means something like "x doesn't actually exist"
THIS
Remember, the flowing are "social constructs" but still exist:
>car insurance
>money (and everything relating to it)
>law
>marriage
>national borders
>>
>>7989338
>But just because it's a social construct doesn't mean it's wrong
Yeah. Yet somehow everyone on /sci/ hears the phrase "social construct" and sticks their fingers in their ears while calling the author an idiot without even understanding her point.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.