[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>ITT: We talk about renewable energy ideas I have been thinking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 7

File: renewable_energy.jpg (381KB, 1683x1141px) Image search: [Google]
renewable_energy.jpg
381KB, 1683x1141px
>ITT: We talk about renewable energy ideas
I have been thinking there must be a way to create electricity out of acoustic waves, I am currently working on the circuit intended to create said electricity.
>>
>>7986494
>itt morons discuss magnets
>>
>>7986494
Solar panels. Im getting a PhD on Energy flows. (my major is mechanical engineer)
>>
>>7986494
I don't see why geothermal isn't more popular. Drill hole into magma, boil water with it, spin turbine, how hard is this?
>>
>>7986539

Because it's more expensive than it's worth. Maybe one day my floor panels will make use of a geothermal generator, but right now it's not an economical option.
>>
>>7986494
Are you using Piezo vibration sensors (LDT0-028K, 180Hz to 1,000 Hz) for it?

>We talk about renewable energy ideas

You mean like new tech or just existing tech being used? I think pretty much everything has been invented that can be used, but not everything has energy harvesting applied to it for the mainstream consumer.

It'd be neat to have wearable energy harvesting stuff.
>>
>breeder reactors
>>
>>7986494
>I have been thinking there must be a way to create electricity out of acoustic waves
The amount of energy available will be incredibly low.

>ITT: We talk about renewable energy ideas
We should be throwing WAY more money into thermochemical solar storage. It's the kind of thing that has a real shot at being a renewable baseload generator.
https://www1.eere.energy.gov/solar/pdfs/tces_workshop_2013_lovegrove.pdf

>>7986616
>breeder reactors
Breeder reactors.
>>
>>7986613
Any idea related to the subject, be it the further development of an already existing technology, or an entirely new way of generating energy.
>>
Cant we just add solar panels to all new buildings from now on?

Or put huge fields of panels in a desert somwhere or smthing.
>>
>>7987292
Problem is, solar panels aren't as efficient as we wish they were.
>>
>>7986494
a circle of homosexuals that pedal on bicycles that generate electricity, while simulateonsly inserting dildos into the anuses of the ass of the men in front of them.
>>
>>7987314
placing bikes/mechanical generators at various parts of the city.

use homeless to power city.
Pay homeless for their work generated.

all the meth heads and crack addicts will be bust riding these bikes.
Everyone else will get good cardio.
and a bit of cash to suppliment their canning/spanging.

an underwater "windmill" that also filters out plastic particles, and heavy metals etc.
>>
>>7986494
It's called a microphone, son.
>>
Well what about that tesla energy thing?

He did show a lightbulb being lit up wirelessly correct? ( thats sorcerery )

And that was a long time ago. Hasent someone done something with that. Do any of you have any ideas how to implement that stuff?
>>
>>7987336
>placing bikes/mechanical generators at various parts of the city.
Human-driven electrical generation gets terrible efficency. You'd do better just drying and burning the food to run a heat engine.
>>
>>7986539
Enjoy your tectonic plate instability
>>
>>7987309
And some of the doping materials are rare
>>
>>7987337
/thread
>>
>>7987287
How about shoes that have Piezoelectric devices embedded in their soles that create electricity when you walk. There are a few DIY devices that use little dc motors to harvest energy, there's some that you Velcro a device to the shoe that creates power (kind of like a shake flashlight), and there are ones like what I am talking about using Piezoelectric stuff.

The voltage can be high in this stuff, but the overall power is extremely low. So they are only good for charging up super capacitors or very low power phone devices.
>>
>>7987523
>>7986539
>>7986561
https://youtu.be/YY7f1t9y9a0?t=869

If this guy's company can figure out how to make and utilize those graphene cables, this technology will be amazing. They could make what amounts to as optic fibers for thermal energy from inside the Earth. The bore hole would be tiny, but could transfer a lot of heat. Because of its small relative size, you'd not be affecting the Earth much at all if any.
>>
>>7986539
corrosion is a big problem, also distances to drill
>>
There has been some talk here in Norway of teaming up with some of the "green power"-people in the north of Scotland i think. The idea is to use the excess power generated by waves/wind during of-peak(at night and so) to make liquid hydrogen. It would be a way of storing the energy instead of having to toss it away at boiling water or similar
>>
>>7986494
That's what we call a windmill son.
>>
>>7987292
do you know how many sq meters of panels would be required to power an average home?

do you know how much power would be lost transmitting power over immense distances?
>>
>>7987915
>do you know how many sq meters of panels would be required to power an average home?
Not very many.
>>
>>7987997
I'll take that as a no then
>>
File: GIRAFESAYESYES.jpg (52KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
GIRAFESAYESYES.jpg
52KB, 590x350px
>>7986494

We can take all the giraffes in the world and make them run constantly in one of those hydroelectric generators in order to produce a constant flow of mass shittposting giraffes in order to combat the cancer that is gorillaposting.

Also, would this break the first law of thermodynamics?
>>
>>7987871
>wind
>a wave
>>
>>7987292
>Or put huge fields of panels in a desert somwhere or smthing.
this is already happening
CSP though, not PV
>>
>>7986539
Great so instead of global warming we can worry about core cooling
>>
>>7988055
it are extremely low frequency

>>7987292
All of that is currently happening right now. Even windows are getting see-through PV tech and there are paints being made that will do PV too.

>>7987915
>>7987997
>>7988001
>an average of 911 kWh per month
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=97&t=3

That's under 10kw solar panel array needed in the shitty dark parts of the USA (4.14 solar index average). That's a range of 87 to 116 square meters of solar panel area. Most systems use far less because the houses use far less energy. That's because people who do make the switch to solar are more conscientious of their power usage prior to going solar and they live in areas with more sunlight per day. Thus, normally only need 30 square meters max, which fits on most average sized house roofs.

The point is, over 1 million homes have solar panels in the USA and 10,000s more per year are getting it. It is a massive trending bubble right now.

Personally, I am energy conscientious so that my electric bill is only about $35 per month. Which makes it so low that getting solar wouldn't ever be able to pay for itself before losing efficiency/breaking and needing to be replace; assuming a grid-tie system that didn't have batteries. Batteries simply make it absurd to do for me.
>>
>>7986539
Can't remember the equation but you get a tiny amount of energy from them in relation to the energy you would expend drilling and all of the process involved in actually getting the geothermal energy harnessed
>>
What about solar magnifying glass energy from space
>>
>>7989018
>there are paints being made that will do PV too
that sounds interesting

>That's a range of 87 to 116 square meters of solar panel area. Most systems use far less because the houses use far less energy. That's because people who do make the switch to solar are more conscientious of their power usage prior to going solar and they live in areas with more sunlight per day. Thus, normally only need 30 square meters max, which fits on most average sized house roofs.
thanks, I take it electric cooking from PV isn't really an option?
>>
>>7989027
Boring a well to a depth that could boil water on the surface would cost in excess of 1 million dollars.

>>7989058
How about a moon solar reflector array. It is actuated so that it directs the reflection to where ever you want on Earth. Could also be used as a solar death ray.
>>
>>7989096
>that sounds interesting

It is, but they are taking too long to bring it to the consumer market. They seem to be waffling over it only being 10% efficient and holding it back merely because of that.

You still need wires and a conductive layer under the paint. But, you won't be limited by shape anymore. Cars, houses, smartphone, etc could use it.
>>
>>7986494
solar hot water can run a nitinol motor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-dCIkJAjyM
>>
>>7986494
Is there really enough energy in acoustic wave to justify an investment. A cost benefits analysis is real in order here.
>>
>>7989594
You should hear your mother when I fuck her.

Ya'll niggas could be powering cities with that shit.
>>
>>7989602
>You should hear your mother when I fuck her.

>>7989602
My mother is dead. You must really be screaming in pain from her dry...well fill in the blank.
>>
>>7989594
You won't be powering a house with it. This sort of tech is in the "energy harvesting" level of power generation and only meant for very low power applications. It is nothing new. You can get kits for it.
>>
>>7987796
Holy fuck that curry nigger shilling water desalination. The math is total bullshit, you'd need a 10GW power plant to power just one of those gay ass boats. And the absolute madman wants to build hundreds. California alone spends 1500 times more than that ship can make every day.

Unless you can make a 10GW power plant, a large ship with meme distillers for under a million, good luck getting to double digits % of water production.
>>
>>7988122
Kek
>>
>>7988122
I will run become rich, pour money into geothermal, then run for president on the platform of stopping Core Cooling.

Mark my words.
>>
>>7990414
>Unless you can make a 10GW power plant, a large ship with meme distillers for under a million, good luck getting to double digits % of water production.

All new tech is not financially feasible at first and very expensive. But, you have to make it, use it, redesign it, and manufacture it in bulk to get the costs down to proper economically viable levels. That's just how things work. The stuff in that video is more for investors than end users. Which is why you can't find links for end users to acquire any of the stuff in the video. Though, that bicycle has come a long long way in design since that video was made and is nearly ready to distribute.

Just look at the design of this device. From conception to final model it goes through all manner of changes and cost levels. Over the years, it will be refined as more people use it/manufacture it, and give feedback for it.

https://twitter.com/billionsnchange/status/717036485040599040
>>
>>7987508
Yeah but you get to eat tasty food
>>
>>7987508
>You'd do better just drying and burning the food to run a heat engine.

Fallacy. You are only looking at the end result of one aspect and not taking into account of everything else. Here's a small flow chart of how to properly utilize food and human-generated energy:

food crops > human consumption > human-generated energy > human waste > biomethane digestor > biomethane (used for making electric or domestic heating) and high-nitrogen fertilizer > growing more food crops using the high-nitrogen fertilizer

Your way would be:

crops > burning for electrical energy > no cycle, just burning up a resource

The food crops to more food crop cycle in the first flow chart is more efficient in the long run because you actually get more use out of the crops, are able to grow more crops with it, and people become healthier or maintain their health doing it. This hinges directly on the use of the microbes in the biomethane digester. Without that step, it wouldn't be worth it.

I mean, I'd rather eat food and have electric than to burn my food, go hungry, and have electric.
>>
>>7991045
>>7991130
cant we just set fire to fat people instead?
>>
File: 1459356223121.jpg (26KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
1459356223121.jpg
26KB, 500x378px
>>7991028
>posting the poo-in-loo cycle like it somehow proves that desalination ships eating up energy in the 2-digit gigawatt range might become feasible some day
good job comparing apples with rocket surgery
>>
>>7991028
I don't get it. You spend more energy in not only maintaining the humans but in building the bike. This seems like a loss all around. This is even more wasteful than growing corn for biofuels, holy shit.
>>
>>7991432
the point isn't raw efficiency but giving electric power to poo-in-loo subhumans with no connection to the energy grid
>>
>>7987352
>Well what about that tesla energy thing?
it's serbian sorcery, not science
>>
I want to harness the power of lightnings .
>>
>>7991142
Good job understanding basic logic and train of though.
>>
>>7991432
Giving poor people who have zero access to electric a cheap form of electric that never runs out of fuel is actually a pretty big thing. They won't need much electric in the first place.

>>7991668
That'd be cool but how does one harness 100TW of energy instantly?
>>
>>7991668
>>7991775
The trouble of lightining is that it is to random. You can't place a few lightning collectors and just hope It's gonna hit there. You can't cover every surface of the Earth with lighting collectors either.

Besides iirc is vital to the proper functioning of our ecosystem on Earth. Wonder what would happen if you removed it out of the equation.
>>
>>7991775
>That'd be cool but how does one harness 100TW of energy instantly?

you don't. you build an artificial cloud and tether it with a conductor.
>>
>>7991791
No, how do you actually use the energy? Just getting a lightning strike is pretty easy, but turning that into usable energy is the hard part.

I'm sure it needs something like a massive bank of super capacitors.
>>
All of these are really just stepping stones for the end goal - the fusion reactor. That's the ultimate power generatior in the universe. Unless we someone figure out a way to harness the power of black holes. I think that would be tier 4 civilization on Michiku Kaka crazy scale
>>
>>7986539
>Drill hole into magma ... how hard is this?
Extrememly fckn hard.
>>
>>7991789
Attracting lightning is easy though. You can do that with just about any old CRT monitor/TV there is and a wire attached to a kite.
>>
>>7991824
Benjamin plz
>>
>>7991825
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1naaZvXTqv4
>>
File: 1445264392009.jpg (7KB, 252x240px) Image search: [Google]
1445264392009.jpg
7KB, 252x240px
>>7991763
>train of though
yeah, you tell me
>>
>>7986539
>The IEA estimates that, in 2013, total world energy consumption was 13,541 Mtoe, or 5.67×10^20 joules, equal to an average power consumption of 18.0 terawatts.
One of my profs said that the net power output of the shit decaying inside the Earth is about 40 terawatts, so the short answer is that there is not enough output to cover all of our needs. Of course the fact that you can't cover all of it with it doesn't mean we shouldn't use it, but obviously it can't cover a significant portion of it so it's not that interesting.
For example, the amount of power we receive from the Sun is in the petawatt range, fusion is basically unlimited too.
>>
>>7991868
>One of my profs said that the net power output of the shit decaying inside the Earth is about 40 terawatts,

And, he's a complete idiot.
>>
>>7991880
You want to elaborate on that, or are you just here to shitpost?
>>
>>7991884
There's an estimated 10 to the 31st power joules of energy inside the Earth. The heat escapes to the surface at about 47 terawatts. That doesn't mean it can't output more energy if you start drilling holes and shoving them full of graphene cables. You essentially start poking holes in the insulation of an oven mitt and you realize that you can get burned.

>>7991868
>Sun is in the petawatt range

89.3 petawatts reaches the surface.
>>
>>7986494
>I am currently working on the circuit intended to create said electricity.

Probably, but you won't produce much. What program are you using to design your circuit?
>>
>>7991763
Don't even try that "muh improving tech" shit on me nigger. There's a fundamental, physical limit on energy required to distill water. Let's take the theoretical minimum (real world values are at least an order of magnitude higher) of around 1kWh/m3 for advanced tech, not basic distillation like in the video.

10^8 liters is 10^5 m3, so at the bare minimum 10^5 kWh/day (~5MW).
Daily consumption of water in California is around 1.5*10^8 m3, so in order to scale it up to a level of state, you need around 1500 of such ships, using a total of 60 GW of power.
Let's just look at the cost of implementing this.
An average tanker, without the meme distillers is between 50 and 100 million USD. Thus, a 200,000 Dwt ship can carry that much distillers which we can assume to be at least as expensive as scrap metal (and realistically two orders of magnitude more), so they are 20 millions USD per ship. Let's make it easy as just take a single complete ship to be around 100 million.
So, our fleet will cost 1500*$100mm=$150 billion. The cost of installing 60 1GW of nuclear is, let's be generous here, 60*$5bn = $300 bn for a grand total of $450bn.
I wonder about the ROI:
In 50 years it will produce 50*365*1500*10^5=2.7*10^12m3 of water. That gives a surprisingly low estimate of $0.17/m3.
Numbers above are not including building storage, pumping, cost of maintenance, personnel and other real life nuisances like upfront cost being likely an order of magnitude higher.

So the best case scenario gives us long term relatively competitive prices of water, but at the upfront cost of half a fucking trillion just for the state of california.
>>
>>7991775
>>7991791
>>7991814
Yeah i think both are part of the problem. You need to develop something that can withstand those 100TW in an instant and you also need to re-direct that energy and store it.
>>
you're going to get fuck all out of capturing sound energy
mark my fucking cock faggot
>>
>>7991992
>The heat escapes to the surface at about 47 terawatts.
And why is my prof retarded? The heat that escapes is about the same as the heat that is generated by decay (he actually said that about 50-100% of this escaping heat is from the decay according to different estimates). Btw I wanted to reply that if we take more energy than what is produced then we'll cool he Earth down, but turns out it would take like 8 billion years to completely cool the Earth if we took an additional 40 terawatts, so we could do it for tens of millions of years before it would become noticeable.
>>
>>7992003
But, your math is incorrect. Are you some sort of shill or something?
>>
>>7988122
What? Are you dumb? They'll just cancel each other out.
>>
>>7992228
>calls my math incorrect
>can't point out the mistake
Yeh nah
>>
>>7989018
Wind isn't a wave because there is net movement of air molecules
>>
>>7987292
It takes just a little less energy to create these solar panels than they will generate in their lifetime.
>>
Pneumatic cars.