[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

n/((n!)^(1/n))=e, when n->oo. What is the best way to conceptualize

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: ee.png (4KB, 154x63px) Image search: [Google]
ee.png
4KB, 154x63px
n/((n!)^(1/n))=e, when n->oo.

What is the best way to conceptualize this?
Geometrically, analytically, etc?
>>
move your mouse for fuck's sake, it's triggering me
>>
File: 1438426442503.jpg (191KB, 477x477px) Image search: [Google]
1438426442503.jpg
191KB, 477x477px
>>7981434
>>
Can we think of the limit of a fraction of two infinite quantities being e?
Natural infinity divided by the nth root of the factorial of natural infinity being e, is this an intuitive way to approach the limit?
>>
>>7981423
>What is the best way to conceptualize this?

n! ≃ √2πn (n/e)^n
>>
>>7981452
Any alternatives?
>>
>>7981423
We have [math]\displaystyle \log(n!) = \sum_{k=1}^n \log(k)[/math]
This is an upper Reimann sum so we get the following lower bound.
[eqn]
\begin{align}
\log(n!) &>= \int_0^n \log(k) dt \\
&>= n \log(n)- n \\
n! &>= \frac{n^n}{e^n} \\
\end{align}
[/eqn]

We can also write the above sum as [math]\displaystyle \log(n!) = \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \log(k+1)[/math], which is a lower Reimann sum giving us an upper bound.
[eqn]
\begin{align}
\log(n!) &<= \int_0^n \log(t+1) dt \\
&<= (n+1) \log(n+1) - n \\
n! &<= \frac{(n+1)^{n+1}}{e^n}
\end{align}
[/eqn]

Putting these together we get
[eqn]
\begin{alignat*}{2}
\frac{n^n}{e^n} &<= n! &&<= \frac{(n+1)^{n+1}}{e^n} \\
\frac{n}{e} &<= n!^{\frac{1}{n}} &&<= \frac{(n+1)^{ 1+\frac{1}{n} }}{e} \\
\frac{e}{n} &>= \frac{1}{ n!^{\frac{1}{n}} } &&>= \frac{e}{(n+1)^{1+1/n}} \\
e &>= \frac{n}{ n!^{\frac{1}{n}} } &&>= e \frac{n}{ (n+1)^{1+1/n} } \\
e &>= \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n}{ n!^{\frac{1}{n}} } &&>= e \\
\end{alignat*}
[/eqn]

By the squeeze theorem [math]\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n}{ n!^{\frac{1}{n}} } = e[/math].

In terms of asymptotics this can be restated as [math]\displaystyle n!^{\frac{1}{n}} \sim \frac{n}{e}[/math] as n goes to infinity.
It's not correct to take the nth power since it's possible that some terms disappear under the inverse operation, so you'd have to use other means to derive Stirling's approximation.

I'll note that it's also possible to evaluate this limit just using L'Hopital's rule.
[eqn]
\begin{align}
\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n}{n!^{ \frac{1}{n}} }
&= e^{\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{ n \log(n) - \log(n!) }{n} } \\
&= e^{\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \log(n) + 1 - H_n + \gamma } \\
&= e^{\displaystyle -\lim_{n \to \infty} \left( H_n - \log(n) \right) + 1 + \gamma } \\
&= e^{-\gamma + 1 + \gamma} \\
&= e
\end{align}
[/eqn]
>>
>>7981683
What an insightful answer, thank you!
>>
File: 1435281908557.jpg (101KB, 863x650px) Image search: [Google]
1435281908557.jpg
101KB, 863x650px
>>7981683

Your a nice person. You didn't have to do that.
>>
>>7981434
My nigga
>>
>>7981683
I'm just now realizing I left all the inequalities as plain text...
>>7981879
>>7981952
You guys are too kind!
>>
>>7981683
>It's not correct to take the nth power since it's possible that some terms disappear under the inverse operation
Can you please elaborate?
>>
>>7981683
nice work, Anon!
>>
>>7982412
It's easier to see if we take the log of everything. Everything below is for n going to infinity. Stirling's approximation states
log(n!) ~ (log(n)-1) n + log(n)/2 + log(2 pi)/2
The definition of f(n) ~ g(n) being that f(n)/g(n) goes to 1, as n approaches the desired limit.

If you divide both sides by n you get
log(n!)/n ~ log(n) - 1 + log(n)/2/n + log(2 pi)/2/n
But as n goes to infinity both the latter terms go to 0, i.e, are now insignificant so you can drop them obtaining
log(n!)/n ~ log(n) - 1
If you wanted to be more precise you could add an O(log(n)/n) to indicate the order of the insignificant terms.
As you can see doing the inverse operation (multiplying by n) you'd have to account for the terms that potentially become significant.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.